Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Verticals are a legacy of the classic portraiture.

https://www.arthermitage.org/Paintin...f-Denmark.html

(how do I delete the attachment that doesn't open anyway?)
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    Verticals are a legacy of the classic portraiture.

https://www.arthermitage.org/Paintin...f-Denmark.html

(how do I delete the attachment that doesn't open anyway?)
    Vertical Video will be the legacy of lazy/dumb people who couldn’t be bothered to hold their phone differently than they did when talking/texting on it.

There’s a big difference between a vertically oriented portrait or still image and general use motion imagery.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    People do what's natural for them and for most holding a phone vertically is natural, not horizontally.

4. Collapse Details
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    People do what's natural for them and for most holding a phone vertically is natural, not horizontally.
    Apple : "You're Holding it Wrong"

5. Collapse Details
    A 2010 article about holding it and signal-loss? Wrong link?

Irrelevant; especially for back then when you mostly talked or texted, and holding a phone horizontally was even less common.

6. Collapse Details
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    A 2010 article about holding it and signal-loss? Wrong link?
    Apple's "antennagate" disaster immediately came to mind when people start talking about holding cell phones "wrong".

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    Vertical Video will be the legacy of lazy/dumb people who couldn’t be bothered to hold their phone differently than they did when talking/texting on it.

There’s a big difference between a vertically oriented portrait or still image and general use motion imagery.

I have some Facebook friends who paint. They still hold their mobile vertically, both for photo and video. Sometimes, if I get along with the person well, I tell them to do a horizontal. Sometimes I tell them not to take the up-your-nose selfies (but I tread gingerly there). Sometimes, I tell them to take their sun- or the large frame glasses off. I don't think they take my suggestions to heart. Which is why we still get along.

But I have some successes too. I've been telling a neighbor to understand the framing of the shots he takes by cutting off the unneeded sky (when shooting buildings) and so on. Now his photos are even getting an occasional "wow".

There are six billion smartphones out there. Not every one of their owners can be Ansel Adams.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingo View Post
    Apple's "antennagate" disaster immediately came to mind when people start talking about holding cell phones "wrong".
    I actually missed that period of time, I didn't even know about it. (Also didn't have an iPhone until 2013.)

9. Collapse Details
    Granted this was a different time before phones were all screen, but one of the many things Blackberry had right, because they knew how people were going to use their devices, they had the internal camera oriented to shoot horizontally with the phones held vertically. Not that there was any other way to use/hold most Blackberry's since the keyboards were physical.

10. Collapse Details
    The new Fujifilm X-T200 - announced today - has a 1080×1080 mode (designed for social media content).

Matt from Newsshooter recently mentioned he wouldn't be surprised if there was a dedicated camera just for this purpose in the future (although I'm assuming he already knew about this X-T200 mode), and I could see various social media modes coming in left and right from cameras moving forward.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast