Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Sharp's 8K MFT Camera Is Getting Closer...
    Cool
    5.5 inch Flip-out LCD screen, XLR audio input, 8K 30p and 4K 60p with a $4K price tag...

2. Collapse Details
    Don't care 1 wit about 8K....

But that screen though.
    John Vincent
    Evil Genius Entertainment.com

3. Collapse Details
    Looks like they glued a smartphone on the back of a camera body. Why no viewfinder? I hate this design direction.

4. Collapse Details
    Yeah, the no viewfinder thing will haunt the Sigma FP too. Shame they didn't do some user testing on this other than the YouTube selfie crowd.

5. Collapse Details
    No viewfinder has been well proven by the Pocket 4K. They provided what the Pocket 4k was missing - a articulating monitor.

6. Collapse Details
    Understand the frustration re the EVF.

What many of the young bucks don’t appreciate is how their near vision will fall off a cliff in their late 40s. That makes a good quality EVF with a diopter essential - or a decent sized bright screen with reading glasses.

We’ve been constrained to a fixed (often low res) EVF pointing straight out of the back with most cameras for too long. If you could flex them upwards (like I believe the GX9 does), they’d be useful. But the fixed stills-cam style EVF has never worked for my style of shooting at chest or waist level, making it an extra bit of expensive tech that never gets used.

So I could forego the EVF for a bright and detailed screen that’s big enough for me to spot all of the gotchas. A 5” Shinobi does that for me at the mo - would be fab if that was integrated into the camera.

Ben.
    Ben Giles GBFTE BAFTA

www.matobo.co.uk

@MatoboLtd

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by bengiles View Post
    Understand the frustration re the EVF.

We’ve been constrained to a fixed (often low res) EVF pointing straight out of the back with most cameras for too long. If you could flex them upwards (like I believe the GX9 does), they’d be useful. But the fixed stills-cam style EVF has never worked for my style of shooting at chest or waist level, making it an extra bit of expensive tech that never gets used.
    I have a Panasonic GX8, and it has an EVF that tilts upward. It is an ergonomic wonder, and I don't understand why Panasonic doesn't have it on more cameras... especially the flagship GH5. Perhaps it'll be on the GH6. If there *is* a GH6.

FWIW, I'm one of those old farts who can't see up close, but I would love to try out this 8K camera. I wonder if there are any problems editing its 8K video with either Resolve or Premiere?
    Last edited by BobKo; 01-15-2020 at 07:34 AM.

8. Collapse Details
    Unless the screen is 800 nits or above they are useless outside. Viewfinders are about trust for me. Wherever I am shooting I know I can trust the image form the viewfinder if setup properly. I can't say that about an LCD. The swivel screen is great and more useful than the fixed BM design but it really is a choice between a consumer approach or a professional approach in my eyes. Pun intended...

9. Collapse Details
    Depends what your projects are really. All mine are in the theatre on tripods so have no use for EVF or IBIS for that matter. I use Ninja V with my GH5's so would remove the need for the bigger monitor too. If this had 8K 60P it would be great for my use. Just fixed full stage so that I can get closer zoom when I edit in a HD project than I can with the GH5 or GH5S. That would be my only use for 8K, don't even edit in UHD now just HD with my GH5's that shoot all the time in UHD 60P.

I am sure the initial target for this is for consumers who have an 8K TV so not exactly poor. Likely a better image than their 8K phone will provide ! It would of course compete in the same market as the BM cameras with a more useful screen. For me 60P is needed so will see what the future brings, external record of that would be fine too. If you want a real 8K camera I think Sharp make one of those too. But a lot more than $4000.

10. Collapse Details
    I'm blind as a bat....

...And I never use the EVF on the GH5. Not even for stills.

For anyone who's ever been a one-man band, even for a day, a larger flip-out screen is a Godsend. Vastly reduces the need for monitor.

Far as "consumer" vs "professional" uses, I think there are hundreds, nee thousands, of people making very good money on youtube who would love a camera screen like this. There are many people in many situations who would benefit from a larger screen.

Hey, at least it'll be a new option, which is good... particularly in a format declared "dead".
    John Vincent
    Evil Genius Entertainment.com

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast