Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I agree on choosing the camera that makes _me_ happy. This is my iPhone 8 Plus right know, as it shoots UHD 60. I used to own a DVX100A (This is why I know this forum) and later a HVX200, but I never made money with them, I just wanted the latest affordable tech. Later I had the Canon 5D Mark IV with the Canon Log update, which I bought for a big family holiday, shot handheld with my 1.2L. Sold soon after the holidays. Now I am waiting for the Canon beginner RF C camera, but I could not afford it now. But I sold everything except my iPhone and two very old Canon digital still compacts, from which only one is working properly.

Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    When I registered on DVXUser in October of 2014, the lowest priced 4K camera was 1D C at $12,000 and 8-bit 4:2:0.
    The 1D C has 4K at 8 bit and 4:2:2. They put a lot of work into that camera to get the 8 bit C-Log right. Never owned one, but for some time, this was my dream camera.
    Last edited by Pascal_Parvex; 01-20-2020 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Spelling mistakes

2. Collapse Details
    I'd expect the C500.2's IS to be at least as good as the EOS R. Here' the EOS R + RF 24-105 F4L + digital IS with a cheap VND (which IMO makes pleasing highlight color shifts (not accurate though! I have the Tiffen which is more accurate)). Lots of steady hold shots as well rapid pans (basketball etc.):

The EOS R + DIS also works surprisingly well with the 24-70 F2.8L II (which has no OIS). Part of that may be lens mass distribution, however I figured perhaps Canon really optimized DIS for that lens. The 10-18 which has IS and is super wide, doesn't really work very well. Perhaps try a few different lenses.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by chris f View Post

Would be curious to hear other's perspectives on the new in-body stabilization.
    If I'm in human tripod mode. I find it works great, including for pans, tilts, pointing etc...and thats with my unstabilized 35mm 1.4. It's pretty useless for walking in DSLR mode, and or cradled, for me, but it didn't look too bad on my shoulder when walking carefully. I added some post stabilization to a shot and it's about as good as a gimbal...maybe better. You can tell I'm walking, but that's not always a bad thing. I'm old and have bad knees, so I can't do the cat prance the 20 year olds can.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry G View Post
    ... Per Cuaron (from American Cinematographer):

Cuarón eschewed lens filters other than NDs. “For interiors and big spaces, I decided not to use any smoke or equivalents,” he adds. “That creates a beautiful diffusion for the background, but I refused to use it
    unless it was absolutely justified, as I wanted a very sharp and grainless look.”
    I hate that milky, low contrast look. To me, digital looks just fine. All LF's look great because they end up in the right people's hands. And, as Steve Yedlin mentioned many times over, you can mold Raw into almost any look anyway.

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Hear! Hear! :-)

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    I hate that milky, low contrast look. To me, digital looks just fine. All LF's look great because they end up in the right people's hands. And, as Steve Yedlin mentioned many times over, you can mold Raw into almost any look anyway.
    Type in 'Alexa Mini LF' into YouTube and filter (sort) by upload date.

Watch a little, and then scroll down a bit, and then a bit more.
    Retired.

0 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Is there an Alexa LF forum you guys can continue your discussion in?

EDIT: Here you go https://forum.arri.com/
    Last edited by JanusCC; 01-20-2020 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Link added for off topic posters

1 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    Type in 'Alexa Mini LF' into YouTube and filter (sort) by upload date...
    Love LF. Hate the filters. Maybe the 1/8 ProMist isn't too bad but it doesn't add anything either.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    Type in 'Alexa Mini LF' into YouTube and filter (sort) by upload date.

Watch a little, and then scroll down a bit, and then a bit more.
    This is what I found.

Quote Originally Posted by JanusCC View Post
    Is there an Alexa LF forum you guys can continue your discussion in?

EDIT: Here you go https://forum.arri.com/
    There is not an active Arri forum in existence, unfortunately. I wish DVXuser would make an Arri subforum. Until then, we'll just clutter all the subforums with Arri talk.
    Last edited by Eric Coughlin; 01-20-2020 at 11:49 PM.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Coughlin View Post
    This is what I found.

There is not an active Arri forum in existence, unfortunately. I wish DVXuser would make an Arri subforum. Until then, we'll just clutter all the subforums with Arri talk.
    Here’s an idea. Start your own thread. Maybe in a subforum that could use a little love. Xh-A1 anybody?

Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast