Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

So this is very far from being a final edit. 2 camera angles from 10 or so that we shot. And we weren't supposed to have sun Saturday afternoon, and I'd planned a very different look (which after the sun went down, we shot). But it was pretty, and so we shot a version that was sunny, and prettier. I figured it was a good time to look at the 6k 60p capture, just to see what it looked like. I have to say it's remarkable. I don't see any difference with from 30/24p material. (the tiny bit of noise on the first angle is added in post).Don't know how you'd currently display it in its full resolution (I guess MacPro with XDR display...hmmm).

The choreography was extremely fast, and so I decided to overcrank and run it at half speed (this is the beginning of a showreel for the dancer). Handheld, Natural light (we were out in an open field with black muddy soil so virtually no fill other than skylight). Grade is quite a bit darker than the capture.

Shot at 800 ISO. CRL 5.9k 59.94. AF- Face Tracking (Face Only). I've uploaded a 6k version that is available to download, although it is H.264 and I'm not able to get it to play back smoothly on my iMac Pro. I've uploaded a second short excerpt in ProRes that plays fine. That one needs a password: nellieslo

https://vimeo.com/386007018. (excerpt with ProRes download)

2. Collapse Details
    From Andy Taylor, ASC (off the Newshooter)

Matt Allard : Who do you see using the C500 Mark II?

Andy Taylor : The C500 Mark II would be a massive step for anyone using any camera with a Super 35 sensor, especially if they already have EF or PL glass. This camera could shoot anything from feature films and documentaries for Netflix to TV News using an ENG lens with the optional B4 to EF adaptor.
    https://www.newsshooter.com/2020/01/...dy-taylor-acs/

PS. Andy is a Canon ambassador (to Holland, I think)

3. Collapse Details
    What other answer should be expected?

Same thoughts are given by everyone in a position to answer about every new camera.
    Retired.

4. Collapse Details
    He's right though. 5.9 Raw is good enough for the feature films and the Netflix TV series. As per Netflix itself.

5. Collapse Details
    lol.
    Retired.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam Hall View Post
    You might be asking the wrong question; I'd ask, can you afford to stand still while others upgrade? If yes, then you don't need to upgrade, if you feel competitors may get an edge over you than perhaps you need to upgrade or you will start to lose business.
    True. Fortunately in my business, most of our clients either dont care what you shoot with as long as it looks pro, or they are soooo specific that you'll rarely have the exact camera they want and require so why not just rent the Arri/RED/Sony FS7, etc?

I think it will take many years before clients even know what a C500 MKII is or ask specifically for it. I made a vow a few years ago that I wasn't going to buy any more cameras over $10k unless I have a single, specific long term project that will pay for it in one fell swoop. Those jobs are becoming more and more rare so I doubt that will happen.

At least in my business (EPK/BTS/Documentary/Instructional), most clients who specify camera, it's almost always C300 MKII/FS7 or Arri/RED. Usually I can convince the C300 MKII/FS7 clients that the C200 is same general level and the few upper end clients only want RED or Arri, but if not, we just rent what they want. Of course, we like getting rentals on our camera but if clients want something specific, make 'em happy is the key.
    Last edited by puredrifting; 01-20-2020 at 11:09 PM.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    From Andy Taylor, ASC (off the Newshooter)

https://www.newsshooter.com/2020/01/...dy-taylor-acs/

PS. Andy is a Canon ambassador (to Holland, I think)
    I'm skeptical of a "massive step" based upon all of the test footage put out so far. I'd say more like "a small step that your clients would likely never notice in a million years" but I reserve final judgement until I can put the C200 directly against the C500 MKII.
    Like all new cameras, there is definitely a hype storm around the C500 MKII and the FX-9.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

8. Collapse Details
    Reading Andy's interview, I think he's a bit too enthusiastic for his own good on this...but I'd say, coming from the C300 mark II, this camera Is a marked step forward. I've not used the C200, so I don't know how it compares there, but as a package, it's flexibility and quality at almost every juncture...its certainly a significant step forward at this price point, if not truly massive.

9. Collapse Details
    It's a significant step forward at this price point in Canon's world.

It's about 10 steps back in comparison to other tools if visual cinematic motion picture image quality on YouTube would be presented to the voting system.

On paper, again, it beats almost everything in its "class" for the $$$ if you're just comparing written words and numbers.

But if IQ is what matters - and it sounds like it does when we always talk about specs and value - and you have 6K Pockets for ~$1500 on eBay providing the images that they do then there's no comparison.

Even the RED Raven from 5 years ago - with a shooting package obtainable for less than $12K when it was first released (and less now) - makes anything from Canon look mediocre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mh8_L4I5o0

No offense - truly, I mean it - but that video above looks like it could have been shot on an iPhone. Maybe an exaggeration, but not by much. Awesome dancing and location and filming, but the perceived image quality - which is 99% one of the main reasons why many of us purchase cameras - matters most, and the Canon's are just never worth their price, IMO.

So it's about perspective...if you're coming from $80K Betacams, it's a bargain. If you've been around the block long enough working with certain tools, it's tremendously overpriced.
    Retired.

0 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    No point in comparing the C500.2 to cameras without some form of PD AF. The Red (soon Apple?) Komodo is looking interesting with PD AF + has an RF mount.

Another point is people who buy Red (or BM) tend to be going for dramatic and creative looks (emotion) whereas most(?) Canon C users are just trying to get good shots for corporate, doc, verite, interviews, etc. I did a lot of green screen with the C300.2, though most of the time just focused on getting nice color and skintones (vs anything emotional based on camera work). Have been doing creative work on DSLR and mirrorless cameras: small and light, nimble: just feels more creative and fun to work with, especially one-handed gimbal shots.

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast