Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Faulty SanDisk CFExpress Reader Bundled with C500MKII?
    My C500MKII came bundled with a 512GB SanDisk CFExpress card and a SanDisk CFExpress Reader. I was doing my first tests with the camera this weekend and after finishing a few shots, I came inside to transfer the footage. Upon inserting the card into the reader, the card failed to mount. I tried several times and on several similar machines (Macs and a PC) and could not get the card to mount.

Upon doing some research online, there appear to widespread reports of faulty SanDisk CFExpress Readers bundled with the C500MKII. They all say the same thing...you must PRESS AND HOLD the card into the reader! Once I tried that, I was able to get the card to mount and transfer the footage, however I had to hold the card and apply pressure, otherwise the spring would push the card back slightly and it would unmount. QC seems to be quite bad with these readers, which is a shame since Canon chose to bundle them as a promotion. The 512GB CFExpress card works just fine.

Reports of the same problems over at Amazon & B&H:
    https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extre...s%2C124&sr=8-4
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...r.html/reviews

Anyone else who has a C500MKII running into this?

2. Collapse Details
    Yes, I got one. Its faulty as well. The only way I can get it to work is by rubberbanding the card into the reader. I got in contact with canon, they are aware and trying to come up with a solution.

20200110_144644.jpg

3. Collapse Details
    Ah, jeez. This is not good. Is anyone else making readers yet?
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Airwolf View Post
    Yes, I got one. Its faulty as well. The only way I can get it to work is by rubberbanding the card into the reader. I got in contact with canon, they are aware and trying to come up with a solution.

20200110_144644.jpg
    Their solution: They'll send out a red rubber band to use. ; )

5. Collapse Details
    Found a user on YouTube who apparently went to Canon Burbank to troubleshoot this issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5WIu0-LZXM

Unlike his issue, my cards would unmount as soon as pressure was released. Didn't matter if it was after a few seconds or a few minutes.

He says it's a batch issue, so hopefully we can get a replacement from Canon. I've ordered a ProGrade CFExpress Reader in the meantime to test.

6. Collapse Details
    I just had another Sandisk SSD fail on me last week.
    I have had so many Sandisk SSDs fail I stopped buying their products years ago.
    When I saw Canon was going to provide Sandisk media and readers on the C500 Mark II I said to myself, uh oh.
    Good luck, y'all.

7. Collapse Details
    So what brand do you recommend?
    'Because only during magic shows and navy
    working hours are the rules of logic suspended.'
    WWW.PROJECT-DEFINITION.COM
    WWW.INSTAGRAM.COM/DEFINITIONXMK

Canon C200 | RED Raven| Canon 5D Mark III | Panasonic AG-DVX100B | Panasonic G7

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by definitionxmk View Post
    So what brand do you recommend?
    The purple rubberbands they put around the produce at the grocery store work great for holding the card in the sandisk one.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by nagymatt View Post
    Found a user on YouTube who apparently went to Canon Burbank to troubleshoot this issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5WIu0-LZXM

Unlike his issue, my cards would unmount as soon as pressure was released. Didn't matter if it was after a few seconds or a few minutes.

He says it's a batch issue, so hopefully we can get a replacement from Canon. I've ordered a ProGrade CFExpress Reader in the meantime to test.
    Just received my C500 II and the reader did the same thing the first time I tried to use it...this morning, as I was configuring the rubber bands, (mine needs two) somehow the card clicked into place, and is working just fine.

10. Collapse Details
    I've been testing the CFExpress Reader from ProGrade: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...s_usb_3_1.html

Completed a few offloads with Shotput and no issues. Solid build and smaller than the SanDisk Reader. No complaints so far!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast