Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 106
  1. Collapse Details
    Canon to stop producing new EF designs.
    #1
    Senior Member James0b57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,311
    Default
    Canon looks to be ending the EF lenses. Given they require electronic iris, they may actually lose value vs old FD glass? Or a market may emerge for converting ef to manual iris. Who knows.

    But looks like EF is on the way out, officially.

    https://petapixel.com/2020/01/08/can...s-demand-more/

    I was never a big supporter of EF glass. Even when i had Canon bodies, i had converted lenses.

    But now that EF is such a ubiquitous mount, it is quite odd seeing it start making its way for the door.


    2 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
    #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    790
    Default
    I think there's a big difference between "We're going to stop designing new EF lens designs unless people demand them" and "Canon looks to be ending the EF lenses."

    I believe they're going to continue to make EF lenses, but I can definitely see why they'd stop designing new EF lenses while they roll out their RF mount. EF is already massively mature in terms of the lens designs they already have and RF isn't, so it makes sense to focus your optics design on the newer mount.

    The truth is, EF is so ubiquitous now that the value of EF glass isn't going to take much of a hit at all for some time. Especially with Canon dropping new bodies (C500-II and 1DX III) that have an EF mount.
    JERBCO, LLC
    jerbco.com

    Web | Video | Aerial


    3 out of 5 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
    #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    359
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by jbregar View Post
    I think there's a big difference between "We're going to stop designing new EF lens designs unless people demand them" and "Canon looks to be ending the EF lenses."

    I believe they're going to continue to make EF lenses, but I can definitely see why they'd stop designing new EF lenses while they roll out their RF mount. EF is already massively mature in terms of the lens designs they already have and RF isn't, so it makes sense to focus your optics design on the newer mount.

    The truth is, EF is so ubiquitous now that the value of EF glass isn't going to take much of a hit at all for some time. Especially with Canon dropping new bodies (C500-II and 1DX III) that have an EF mount.
    Plus for RF you don't have to compete with a second hand market that has tonnes and tonnes of EF lenses.


    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
    #4
    Default
    Also, mirrorless lens designs are liberated by not needing such a long flange length. I think that it enables superior lens designs in some cases (wide angles, especially?) That may be why we are seeing RF lens designs that were never produced for EF. So, I think that the most demanding users may gravitate towards mirrorless lenses over time.

    Plus, the users who most benefit from an OVF (sports & journalists) don't need as much resolution anyway, and are probably well-served by the options already available. Or maybe Canon is betting that OVFs will become a thing of the past as EVF technology advances.


    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
    #5
    Senior Member James0b57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,311
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by jbregar View Post
    I think there's a big difference between "We're going to stop designing new EF lens designs unless people demand them" and "Canon looks to be ending the EF lenses."
    There is also a big difference between “Canon looks to be...” and “Canon is...”


    I believe they're going to continue to make EF.
    You don’t have to believe, Canon will continue to make EF lenses.


    But for how long, is the question. Making the way to the door, doesn’t mean you’ll end up leaving, but it is still quite a statement.


    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
    #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    790
    Default
    It's a bit premature to say EF is "on the way out" based on this (or the previous) announcement.

    If you click through to the actual interview, his statement is quite a bit softer (as is the analysis from the publication).

    “As you know, last year we launched the RF mount and EOS R system," said Richard Shepherd, pro product marketing senior manager at Canon Europe. "To date we’ve launched ten critically acclaimed lenses, and as it’s a new system we plan to continue this, launching more RF lenses while still fully supporting the EF lens system. And of course, should the market demand it, we are ready to create new EF lenses. But for now, our focus is on RF.”

    Also, considering the size of the Canon EF lens lineup, there's not a lot left there to develop... especially versus the RF mount where there are TEN total lenses available. Makes total sense to spend your development time there if you want people to take it seriously.

    The actual statement is a lot softer than those clickbait-y headlines would lead on. EF isn't going anywhere anytime soon, they're just going to let the (massive) lens lineup stagnate a little while they build up the RF lineup.

    I'll be worried about EF when there's both a C-line camera and an actual professional model with an RF mount. Instead we got both the C500-II and 1DX III with EF mounts.
    JERBCO, LLC
    jerbco.com

    Web | Video | Aerial


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
    #7
    Senior Member James0b57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,311
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by jbregar View Post
    It's a bit premature to say EF is "on the way out" based on this (or the previous) announcement.

    If you click through to the actual interview, his statement is quite a bit softer (as is the analysis from the publication).

    “As you know, last year we launched the RF mount and EOS R system," said Richard Shepherd, pro product marketing senior manager at Canon Europe. "To date we’ve launched ten critically acclaimed lenses, and as it’s a new system we plan to continue this, launching more RF lenses while still fully supporting the EF lens system. And of course, should the market demand it, we are ready to create new EF lenses. But for now, our focus is on RF.”

    Also, considering the size of the Canon EF lens lineup, there's not a lot left there to develop... especially versus the RF mount where there are TEN total lenses available. Makes total sense to spend your development time there if you want people to take it seriously.

    The actual statement is a lot softer than those clickbait-y headlines would lead on. EF isn't going anywhere anytime soon, they're just going to let the (massive) lens lineup stagnate a little while they build up the RF lineup.

    I'll be worried about EF when there's both a C-line camera and an actual professional model with an RF mount. Instead we got both the C500-II and 1DX III with EF mounts.
    Right, sorry. You are correct. What are we talking about again?


    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
    #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    6,320
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    Right, sorry. You are correct. What are we talking about again?
    That the DSLR's are on the way out, which means that Sony will cease making the A-mount (which they have already, despite saying a couple of years ago that they would not), Canon the EF mount and Nikon the F-mount lenses and cameras. And, considering that EF works fine with R and F with Z, the transition for a lens collector should be an easy one.

    And the manufacturers are up the creek anyway.


    2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
    #9
    Senior Member James0b57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,311
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    That the DSLR's are on the way out, which means that Sony will cease making the A-mount (which they have already, despite saying a couple of years ago that they would not), Canon the EF mount and Nikon the F-mount lenses and cameras. And, considering that EF works fine with R and F with Z, the transition for a lens collector should be an easy one.

    And the manufacturers are up the creek anyway.
    Thank you DLD.


    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
    #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    6,320
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    Thank you DLD.
    Quoting the Nikon Rumors quoting CIPA.



    DSLR Units -33%
    DSLR Shipped Value -42%
    Mirrorless Units -5%
    Mirrorless Shipped Value +6%
    Compact Units -21%
    Compact Shipped Value -17%
    Read more: https://nikonrumors.com/2020/01/10/c...#ixzz6AhdRmpSq

    That "-42%" number speaks for itself. Mind you, that's just total revenues. With the manufacturing costs fairly stable, the profits must be pretty close to going from black to red.

    Rough math

    Year XX1 - manufacturing cost $600, wholesale price $1,000, operating profit $400, fixed expenses/overhead/R&D $300, net profit $100.

    Year XX2 - manufacturing costs $600, wholesale price $580, operating loss $20, fixed expenses/overhead/R&D $300, net loss $320.


    Reply With Quote
     

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •