Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    According to what I heard the new proposals are still in discussion and thus not confirmed yet, so there still may be time to voice your comments to affect the outcome.

A lot of my clients expect aerial shots. I don't know about you guys but being able to offer such is pretty important for my business.
    And if I should should ever have any time off I would enjoy flying for fun, and always in a safe way of course

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jamedia.uk View Post
    As has said often enough on drone forums "It only needs a few idiots...."
    So why do we still have alcohol, automobiles and guns?

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jbregar View Post
    Also, someone who's flying contraband into a prison or illegally surveilling someone (how is that even possible, you have no right of privacy from the air) is going to know enough about it to use a homebuilt without Remote ID.
    Exactly! It's like a friend of mine says, a lock will keep an honest man honest. Meaning, someone who wants to do something bad/illegal is going to do it regardless of rules or laws against it. Laws are only for the law-abiding.

I'm not advocating "the wild west" here, I have all of my drones registered with the FAA, but there needs to be common sense.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    Exactly! It's like a friend of mine says, a lock will keep an honest man honest. Meaning, someone who wants to do something bad/illegal is going to do it regardless of rules or laws against it. Laws are only for the law-abiding.

I'm not advocating "the wild west" here, I have all of my drones registered with the FAA, but there needs to be common sense.
    But do you use them for any work and if so, are you a Part 107 pilot? I looked into it but I am in LA and all of the drone ops here have $30k to $50k or more into their drones so they can carry Alexa Minis and REDs.
    I don't think there will be much work in my area for anything less than these so I said to heck with it, I'm not going to become a professional pilot.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    But do you use them for any work and if so, are you a Part 107 pilot? I looked into it but I am in LA and all of the drone ops here have $30k to $50k or more into their drones so they can carry Alexa Minis and REDs.
    I don't think there will be much work in my area for anything less than these so I said to heck with it, I'm not going to become a professional pilot.
    How popular is the i2/x7?

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jbregar View Post
    To be fair, in the USA the airspace is a public area just like the airwaves. They're regulated, but we the people own them. It's not *their* airspace over here, it's *ours*.
    The FAA *effectively* owns the airspace. The same as the Police effectively own the highways. There are lots of Sovereign Citizen videos on YT showing what happens when you try and explain to the Cop that is it *your* highway. Normally a smashed window and hand cuffs. I have seen a news item where a US citizen took one of "his" military tanks ("borrowed" from the National Guard) on to a highway. The Police shot him dead. IT is probalby a Good Thing that the FAA are people in suits not carrying batons, guns and handcuffs :-)

So whilst philosophically it is The People's Air Space in practical and legal terms the FAA control it, on behalf of the people, for the good of society.
    The FAA see a drone as a small aircraft just like any other aircraft but flown by a non-poilot.....

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel H View Post
    And on the other side, every year, 40 thousand people die in car accidents in the US, and over 4 million get seriously injured. But really, if you're going to ban one type of machine, start with cars.
    Flawed argument, imo.

Flawed in that drones are not anywhere close to being as necessary in life as autos. Drones are not transporting heart attack sufferers to receive care. Drones are not transporting unemployed persons to job interviews. Drones are not transporting millions of children to schools. Very few people need a drone in society today, if any at all.

The argument is flawed because drones are not remotely as close to being as indispensable as are autos. Drones are mostly used for entertainment purposes.
    Big sources matter.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    Nope. Completely recreational. Too much hassle and expense for little reward in a crowded niche full of people that are either a) extremely good at it and have the big boy toys or b) will do it almost for free just to offer the service(and probably flying illegally).

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by rob norton View Post
    How popular is the i2/x7?
    I would say zero, zilch. It's Hollywood, they only hire big boy toys here. Seriously. I've been shooting low budget TV and features yet they still had the big octocopter carrying an Alexa mini. Very little market here for low end drone work.

When I shot in the Sahara Desert for Prison Break a few years ago, the production flew in the drone team. From Finland. For just two days work. They didn't hire from Italy, the flew the dudes in from Finland, I shot a little piece on the whole drone thing
    as Prison Break was known for that iconic opening helicopter shot over a guard tower at Fox River Prison in Illinois from S1 so many years ago and they recreated it in Morocco, which was doubling for Yemen in the story.

These guys had a $100k drone package, full FIZ for any Arri or RED, the drone was huge, complex and heavy, I don't know the manufacturer but it was big and could carry really heavy cameras. Their day rate was impressive, they didn't need to work very often to make
    a good living ;-)
    Last edited by puredrifting; 01-09-2020 at 10:35 AM.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

10. Collapse Details
    The thing about the Part 107 certificate is it's just not that big of a deal to go get it. Less than 10% of my money comes from drone stuff directly, but I use a drone often enough it's handy to have. I don't fly anything spectacular, just a Mavic 2 Pro, but it's good enough for the market I operate in (low-to-mid-level corporate and documentary) for the limited amount we use drone shots.

Getting the Part 107 was literally a week or two of studying, $150, and taking a relatively easy test. Keeping it current is the same $150 (every two years) and a much easier test. It's just not a big deal.

Thinking you're going to go full-time drone op and make tons of cash is mostly a locked-up market. Especially in Hollywood where the cost of entry is going to be insane. That said, it's a valuable service I can offer my clients if there's a reason to use it. I've talked more of my clients out of drone footage than I have into it.
    JERBCO, Ltd.
    jerbco.com

Web | Video | Aerial

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast