Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 50
  1. Collapse Details
    #31
    Senior Member Run&Gun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    4,027
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    I don't trust lawyers.
    I don't trust DJI at all, they're a Chinese company with monitoring and reporting policies
    that are complicit with the totalitarian Chinese government.

    Basically, ridiculous things are coming in owning and flying a drone as a hobbyist. As a pro,
    it's just the cost of doing business but it sounds as if the FAA is on an active mission to
    mostly eliminate casual hobbyist use of drones. It's a shame that stupid people have reduced
    what was once a fun, interesting and challenging hobby to a compliance war.
    And since they are all "connected" devices that are tied to apps on cell phones for control, they can be "bricked" at anytime.

    But honestly, you're only one bad firmware update from having a useless brick, anyway. Anyone still have a GoPro Karma? Didn't the all just essentially get "bricked"/grounded because of a bug in their firmware that doesn't recognize the date rollover on the GPS system so they can't access it and as a result cannot take-off/fly?


    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
    #32
    Senior Member puredrifting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles, Ca.
    Posts
    10,379
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    And since they are all "connected" devices that are tied to apps on cell phones for control, they can be "bricked" at anytime.

    But honestly, you're only one bad firmware update from having a useless brick, anyway. Anyone still have a GoPro Karma? Didn't the all just essentially get "bricked"/grounded because of a bug in their firmware that doesn't recognize the date rollover on the GPS system so they can't access it and as a result cannot take-off/fly?
    It'll be interesting to see when the first cases go to court that use this data as digital "evidence" for unrelated to flying charges for suspects and persons of interest. You know it's going to happen and happen often.
    While I think Apple is another evil empire, I give them props in their, so far, middle finger to law enforcement trying to force them to unlock the phones of suspects. I suspect DJI will not be
    nearly as loyal to their users, if they haven't already rounded that corner already.

    If you haven't already read it, I highly recommend you read Edward Snowden's book, "Permanent Record". It's pretty sobering for us Americans, what the NSA, an agency that your tax dollars finance, is doing with
    the data and especially metadata they collect on us every day. Heck even this post will be added to my metadata account the NSA keeps.

    Hi NSA snoops! I see you. Go get lunch, you look miserable having to keep metadata tabs on my boring life.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
    #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,300
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    It'll be interesting to see when the first cases go to court that use this data as digital "evidence" for unrelated to flying charges for suspects and persons of interest. You know it's going to happen and happen often.
    While I think Apple is another evil empire, I give them props in their, so far, middle finger to law enforcement trying to force them to unlock the phones of suspects. I suspect DJI will not be
    nearly as loyal to their users, if they haven't already rounded that corner already.

    If you haven't already read it, I highly recommend you read Edward Snowden's book, "Permanent Record". It's pretty sobering for us Americans, what the NSA, an agency that your tax dollars finance, is doing with
    the data and especially metadata they collect on us every day. Heck even this post will be added to my metadata account the NSA keeps.

    Hi NSA snoops! I see you. Go get lunch, you look miserable having to keep metadata tabs on my boring life.
    From the 2012 article 'Andrew Keen: Why 1984 Is Upon Us (Digital Vertigo)'

    "Instead of Big Brother, what exists in today’s age of great exhibitionism is what the American novelist Walter Kirn calls, a “vast cohort of prankish Little Brothers equipped with devices that Orwell, writing 60 years ago, never dreamed of and who are loyal to no organized authority.” Kirn’s “Little Brothers” are all of us, the people—the peeps, in both form and function— whose smartphones, tablets and billions of other so-called “post-PC” devices put as much surveillance technology in each of our hands as Orwell gave Big Brother’s entire regime in Nineteen Eighty-four."


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
    #34
    Senior Member Run&Gun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    4,027
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    It'll be interesting to see when the first cases go to court that use this data as digital "evidence" for unrelated to flying charges for suspects and persons of interest. You know it's going to happen and happen often.
    While I think Apple is another evil empire, I give them props in their, so far, middle finger to law enforcement trying to force them to unlock the phones of suspects. I suspect DJI will not be
    nearly as loyal to their users, if they haven't already rounded that corner already.

    If you haven't already read it, I highly recommend you read Edward Snowden's book, "Permanent Record". It's pretty sobering for us Americans, what the NSA, an agency that your tax dollars finance, is doing with
    the data and especially metadata they collect on us every day. Heck even this post will be added to my metadata account the NSA keeps.

    Hi NSA snoops! I see you. Go get lunch, you look miserable having to keep metadata tabs on my boring life.
    Quote Originally Posted by rob norton View Post
    From the 2012 article 'Andrew Keen: Why 1984 Is Upon Us (Digital Vertigo)'

    "Instead of Big Brother, what exists in today’s age of great exhibitionism is what the American novelist Walter Kirn calls, a “vast cohort of prankish Little Brothers equipped with devices that Orwell, writing 60 years ago, never dreamed of and who are loyal to no organized authority.” Kirn’s “Little Brothers” are all of us, the people—the peeps, in both form and function— whose smartphones, tablets and billions of other so-called “post-PC” devices put as much surveillance technology in each of our hands as Orwell gave Big Brother’s entire regime in Nineteen Eighty-four."
    We're basically doing the governments job for them. Our phones, our drones, hell, even our refrigerators and TV's... And Alexa... WE ARE PAYING MONEY TO PUT SURVEILLANCE DEVICES IN OUR HOMES AND CARRY THEM ON OUR PERSON 24/7. If someone would have told the NSA 20 years ago that it would be this easy to keep tabs on us, no one there would have believed it. "How can we get a surveillance device into every citizens home without them knowing it and afford it in our budget?" "Sir, we won't have to. They'll stand in-line to buy them. And carry them with them 24/7. And they'll make it even easier for us, because they'll post the most intimate details about their lives and what they do every minute of the day with perfect strangers on this thing called 'social media' ." "BULLSH!T. The American people aren't that stupid. They care about their privacy too much."


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
    #35
    Senior Member Eric Coughlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,204
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    If you haven't already read it, I highly recommend you read Edward Snowden's book, "Permanent Record". It's pretty sobering for us Americans, what the NSA, an agency that your tax dollars finance, is doing with
    the data and especially metadata they collect on us every day. Heck even this post will be added to my metadata account the NSA keeps.

    Hi NSA snoops! I see you. Go get lunch, you look miserable having to keep metadata tabs on my boring life.
    Let me break out some math. 55,000 employees at NSA. 327 million Americans. One NSA employee for every 5945 Americans. 40 hours in a work week, 144,000 seconds. 144,000 NSA employee seconds per week / 5945 Americans = 24 seconds of time that an NSA employee can spend on each American per week. If we go off of world population of 7.7 billion, then it comes out to one second per week per person.

    Which of course means, you have to be important enough to them for their personnel to devote real time and attention to you.
    Last edited by Eric Coughlin; 01-18-2020 at 07:00 PM.


    0 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
    #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    792
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Coughlin View Post
    Let me break out some math. 55,000 employees at NSA. 327 million Americans. One NSA employee for every 5945 Americans. 40 hours in a work week, 144,000 seconds. 144,000 NSA employee seconds per week / 5945 Americans = 24 seconds of time that an NSA employee can spend on each American per week. If we go off of world population of 7.7 billion, then it comes out to one second per week per person.

    Which of course means, you have to be important enough to them for their personnel to devote real time and attention to you.
    It’s cute you think they need to have humans crunch that data.

    It’s all done using machine learning and AI on massive supercomputing clusters.
    JERBCO, LLC
    jerbco.com

    Web | Video | Aerial


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
    #37
    Senior Member Eric Coughlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,204
    Default
    Oh, so 55,000 employees play video games eight hours a day while AI does all the work. I chose my words carefully; it still stands that human personnel have very limited time to spend on people who have not raised suspicion, so if the AI never targets a person than a human employee will likely never monitor said person. Even after all the AI info is gather it still needs to be viewed by a person at some point and they’ve only got 1-24 seconds per week per person to review that data.

    And I also have doubts on AI being well equipped to interpret data. People can joke and use sarcasm talking about terrorist activities, and I don’t know how AI is programmed to recognize jokes and sarcasm so as to not report it to humans and thereby waste the humans’ time.

    People often have difficulty telling if I’m being serious or not; AI would have a much harder time.


    0 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
    #38
    Senior Member puredrifting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles, Ca.
    Posts
    10,379
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Coughlin View Post
    Let me break out some math. 55,000 employees at NSA. 327 million Americans. One NSA employee for every 5945 Americans. 40 hours in a work week, 144,000 seconds. 144,000 NSA employee seconds per week / 5945 Americans = 24 seconds of time that an NSA employee can spend on each American per week. If we go off of world population of 7.7 billion, then it comes out to one second per week per person.

    Which of course means, you have to be important enough to them for their personnel to devote real time and attention to you.
    Read/listen to the book Eric. That's the insidious thing about the metadata collection. They are archiving it forever. And it's metadata they care about most because of keyword searches and organizational reference. They don't need to analyze your data at all. They have an archive on your every move for life, which can be easily compressed and then opened and explored anytime the government wants to investigate you. If you pop onto their radar for ANYTHING you do for the rest of your life that rubs them the wrong way, IRS, ATF, any other alphabet agency, for any reason, they have the ultimate digital treasure trove of everything you've done your entire life. Who you spoke with, what you said, any "impure thoughts" from a governmental perspective
    that you've ever had. That is and should be terrfiying to every American. It's beyond Orwellian and could be used to make your kids, grandkids and great grandkids lives a living hell deep into the future.

    We are all screwed. Privacy no longer exists and as Americans increasignly accept this as "normal" ie; every American under 35 pretty much already does, our governments control, leverage and power over us is absolute, totalitarian and really just as bad if not worse than what China does it it's citizens, ours is just much more subtle and covert.
    Information is power and they have it on all of us. Our government is supposed to serve us, not rule us and with this terrifying new reality, they own us.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
    #39
    Senior Member Eric Coughlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,204
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    If you pop onto their radar for ANYTHING you do for the rest of your life that rubs them the wrong way, IRS, ATF, any other alphabet agency, for any reason, they have the ultimate digital treasure trove of everything you've done your entire life. Who you spoke with, what you said, any "impure thoughts" from a governmental perspective
    that you've ever had.
    Well yeah, but that goes back to, don't do anything that would make you pop up on their radar and you don't have much to be worried about. They don't want to waste time monitoring the lives of boring law abiding citizens. I would imagine the vast majority of Americans have not done anything that puts them under high scrutiny from the NSA, because as mentioned, the NSA does not have the manpower to monitor the vast majority of Americans, AI or not. So, they've only got time for those Americans who raise red flags. Which I guess just means if you're planning to start a revolution, stay off the grid.

    "Impure thoughts" reminds me of, "You never had a camera in my head."




    0 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
    #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    792
    Default
    If you haven’t computer pre-screening for you, you have a lot more than “1-24 seconds” of time with a human.

    I could go into more detail about why the “I don’t need to fear the surveillance state, I didn’t do anything wrong” thing is a really naive approach to privacy, but i don’t have the time tonight.
    JERBCO, LLC
    jerbco.com

    Web | Video | Aerial


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •