Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    If you shoot interviews in small rooms, forget the Portkeys 7", it has two fans, you can turn them off but they turn on if the monitor is overheating.
    People always forget audio. I shoot a ton of interviews and even the fan in my C200 has caused sound issues in really quiet rooms. Some gear, the
    LitePanels Geminis, have fans but they are relatively large and you cannot hear them when they kick on and off. Generally, the smaller the fan, the
    noisier they are.

I have the Shinobi SDI. It's okay, not great. The touchscreen is semi responsive, sometimes it works, sometimes it takes repeated button pushes.
    At least it loads up to 8 LUTs and the waveform is essential for me when I operate. I cannot believe how many cameras these days do not have a
    marked, calibrated waveform monitor, how the hell are you supposed to correctly expose video with a histogram?!??
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

2. Collapse Details
    I have the Portkeys 5" and it works just fine on my Gh5.
    Matt Gottshalk - Director/ Dp/ and Emmy Award Winning Editor
    Producer, Digital Creative for the United States Postal Service

3. Collapse Details
    Cool
    I'm seeing a lot of good reviews of the new BM Video Assist 7 inch Touch-screen Monitor.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    If you shoot interviews in small rooms, forget the Portkeys 7", it has two fans, you can turn them off but they turn on if the monitor is overheating.
    People always forget audio. I shoot a ton of interviews and even the fan in my C200 has caused sound issues in really quiet rooms. Some gear, the
    LitePanels Geminis, have fans but they are relatively large and you cannot hear them when they kick on and off. Generally, the smaller the fan, the
    noisier they are.

I have the Shinobi SDI. It's okay, not great. The touchscreen is semi responsive, sometimes it works, sometimes it takes repeated button pushes.
    At least it loads up to 8 LUTs and the waveform is essential for me when I operate. I cannot believe how many cameras these days do not have a
    marked, calibrated waveform monitor, how the hell are you supposed to correctly expose video with a histogram?!??
    Histograms are a carry-over from the DSLR "revolution". I never saw one tied to video until then. Absolutely useless for video. And honestly, I find them useless for stills, as well.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    Histograms are a carry-over from the DSLR "revolution". I never saw one tied to video until then. Absolutely useless for video. And honestly, I find them useless for stills, as well.
    Right? I was amazed yesterday at the Sony training for the FX9, the trainer bought up the metering tools menu item and you can not only put up a waveform, but also a vectorscope AND you can put a histogram. I should have grilled the Sony engineer on why that is on there!
    That was the main thing that drove me crazy about the BMD UMP G2 and Pocket 6K, Histogram ONLY!!! Insanity.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    Right? I was amazed yesterday at the Sony training for the FX9, the trainer bought up the metering tools menu item and you can not only put up a waveform, but also a vectorscope AND you can put a histogram. I should have grilled the Sony engineer on why that is on there!
    That was the main thing that drove me crazy about the BMD UMP G2 and Pocket 6K, Histogram ONLY!!! Insanity.
    But how else can we ETTR?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Waveform for video, histogram for raw.
    Waveform shows the exposure range of the video codec, not the sensor.
    RGB histogram for raw shows sensor saturation, dynamic range and black/white clip points for each primary.
    Shooting raw with a gamma corrected monitor lut there is less concern about what the image looks like on screen, more about getting maximum sensor saturation for post DR. The video may well read clipped when the sensor is not.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    I have three smallHD Focus SDI OLED's. Two SDI's and an HDMI(for my Ronin S). I've said before that the DP7Pro OLED's are kind of my 'prized possessions' for gear, and were my go-to and de facto on-camera monitors, but the 5" Focus has become my #1, now, mostly because of it's ease and speed of mounting. Not to mention that they are practically giving them away.
    I know the original question was about 7 inch monitors, but I can also recommend the Focus OLED. For $299 it's tough to beat. The main weakness that I see is a lack of dedicated external power in, need to use the dummy battery which adds just a little bit more bulk.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick M View Post
    I know the original question was about 7 inch monitors, but I can also recommend the Focus OLED. For $299 it's tough to beat. The main weakness that I see is a lack of dedicated external power in, need to use the dummy battery which adds just a little bit more bulk.
    I actually found that I like the dummy battery better, because it’s easier and way more robust than the Hirose connection/cables that my DP7 Pro’s use.

10. Collapse Details
    Cool thing about the Portkeys 5", for 149 extra you can get the 501 cage/viewfinder that effectively turns it into a 1080p EVF.
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12