Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Canon C400 coming?
    Interesting rumor: https://www.canonrumors.com/new-cano...olling-in-cr2/

I would have thought that Canon would let the C500MKII have the spotlight as long as possible to try to grab C300 level market share.

I’m guessing a slightly cheaper version of the C500 with no raw capabilities, no 6K capture (but still with the same 6K FF sensor) and maybe a new feature like an R-mount or 240fps?

2. Collapse Details
    My guess is a camera with an S35 sensor in the same body as a C300 replacement.

An RF mount would be interesting, but I am assuming that would require a change to the front of the camera which wouldn't really be using the same body.

I guess Canon might be able to strip some of the internals and make a C100 replacement without CRL.

3. Collapse Details
    C300 MKII is on its way out. My thinking is that C200 will drop another grand or two and C400/C300 MKIII will slot at around $10,000, roughly half off/of C500 MKII and twice of C200.

But then there's also the already preannounced 1D X MKIII that may have either videocentric version or have both video and action in one body.

And there were some rumors about C100 MKIII, which has to be - it has to be, right? - an RF mount.

4. Collapse Details
    The 1DX Mark III will follow the II's all-in-one approach, but should finally have basic video features like zebras:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._mark_iii.html

5. Collapse Details
    I can’t imagine any camera manufacturer with a new FF sensor putting out a super 35 sensor in anything but their entry level offerings moving forward. Like it or not I think the FF ship has sailed.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by chris f View Post
    I can’t imagine any camera manufacturer with a new FF sensor putting out a super 35 sensor in anything but their entry level offerings moving forward. Like it or not I think the FF ship has sailed.
    Yes, I agree. Sadly, the FF brainwashing has been VERY successful, which is a shame because we could have had some actual, useful innovation in it's place, but I you're right. It's FF from here on out, soon to be replaced my MF I'd bet.
    Much easier to keep increasing imager size than to create new tech that actually is helpful to us, better audio, better ergos, operational assists.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    And the thing is, better audio is fairly inexpensive to implement. I mean, compared to good big sensors, glass and all that.

Still surprises me that camera audio is so compromised.
    ----------
    Jim Feeley
    POV Media

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    Yes, I agree. Sadly, the FF brainwashing has been VERY successful, which is a shame because we could have had some actual, useful innovation in it's place, but I you're right. It's FF from here on out, soon to be replaced my MF I'd bet.
    Much easier to keep increasing imager size than to create new tech that actually is helpful to us, better audio, better ergos, operational assists.
    There's no brainwashing or conspiracy theories. It's simple; technology has advanced enough to make a variety of products with bigger chips.

Everything has its time, and S35 sensors will still exist for many years while new hardware is made with widely available technological improvements. The size has increased and the cycle has repeated every few years.

Plus, FF cameras should have excellent S35 modes and all kinds of neat improvements if the companies decide to provide them.

2 out of 4 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    65mm film was the preferred format for large scale productions since the 1950's (cue your favorite Freddie Young images). Todd AO was 52.63 x 23.01 (~ 1,211 mm2) while Arri Alexa65 is 54.12 mm x 25.59 mm (~ 1385mm2) and there are only ~ 70 of those out in the wild and they're only available as a rental. Alexa LF is 36.70 mm x 25.54 mm (~ 937mm2) and Red Monstro is 40.96 x 21.60 mm (~884 mm2). IMAX 70mm is 70.41 mm 52.63 mm (~3706mm2), so there's a long way to go if anyone wants to match IMAX.

PS. Digital photography started in earnest in the mid-1990's with what would described currently as the smartphone size sensors. Many pros switched to digital sometime in the mid-00's when the Dalsa MF chip came out.

This is from 2008.

https://www.teledynedalsa.com/en/new...ixel-platform/

10. Collapse Details
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    PS. Digital photography started in earnest in the mid-1990's with what would described currently as the smartphone size sensors.
    The Kodak/Nikon DCS SLR cameras from the 90's were the first digital cameras that I saw being adopted by mainstream newspaper and magazine shooters. The $28,000 Kodak DCS460 that arrived in 1995 used a APS-H (27.6 x 18.4 mm) 6 Mpx sensor that had a 1.3x FF crop.

Kodak_DCS_460.jpg

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast