Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    The problems with this tool (and similar ones) are:

1. Unnatural textures (especially noticeable on faces).
    2. Change in texture from frame to frame.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    AI upscaling is just getting started- it will get much better.

https://www.google.com/search?q=image+upscaling - note how many companies are working on AI upscaling. There's quite a variety of AI methods- each is different and the networks can be further tuned and trained based on subject matter. The better methods will use temporal training so frame/frame variance won't be an issue.

Training is super important- I think they need to work on edges too- most examples are currently too sharp and can look unnatural.

At some point the AI deconstruction will understand for example what a blurry stop sign is, where STOP is too few pixels to blow up / re-render directly, and because it knows it's a stop sign, still render it perfectly at any resolution. The running horse example is pretty rough- same thing there, the AI will know they are horses and fill in the blanks. This will lead to novel animation and art tools.

The next level will be to create full 3D models (for the entire scene) from video since the AI will know what all the objects are, and from the motion can figure out the positions- kind of a super-photogrammetry from a single 2D camera view (multiple camera views will also work). There's already simple AI products for single 2D photos to 3D models.
    Last edited by jcs; 12-31-2019 at 06:20 PM.

3. Collapse Details

4. Collapse Details
    Whoa! is this coincidence or fate? I just found this same company earlier today then came on here and found this thread.

I decided that as a new years resolution I would recut and remaster my feature film from 2005. I had intended to do it for the ten year anniversary back in 2015, loaded up all the old DV tapes onto a hard drive and even recut a couple scenes and experimented with upscaling to 1080p. Unfortunately things got too busy for me back then and I put it on the side. Figured I would look into upscaling software last night and found this.

I ran a short 30 second clip through their system. A pretty bad looking clip I don't intend to use. It's a blown out straight 60i AVI file just to see what I would get. See below.
    It did improve it in my opinion. You can see in the eyes and certain details like the pot of the plant, but it definitely over exaggerated the interlacing. I'll need to deinterlace first. I figured maybe their software would do that step as well but I guess not.

https://youtu.be/Bx_70JkCPVI

Is it better to upscale first and then edit or upscale after the edit? When I recut a few scenes back in 2014 I was doing the upscaling in Premiere Pro while I was editing. Nothing fancy, literally just dropping the footage on a 1920x800 timeline and scaling up. I wasn't that disappointed with the results I got either. The footage is soft, but so is some older smaller gauge film stock. I looked into using something like Red Giant Instant 4K this time and it seems to work ok, but I'm not yet convinced it's better than just scaling up in Premiere natively and adding a tiny bit of sharpening. Also not convinced I want to use the Gigapixel AI service. I'd have to do more tests with it but really don't want to run through paying every time I want to upload a short clip to test the best settings now that my free proof is used up. Unfortunately i'm cutting on a mac so their trialware version is windows only. Sounds like you need a pretty powerful machine at that. So I'm not sure what route to take here. This is really just a recut/remaster for me and a handful of people that made the film so I'd rather not spend any money, just my time. It wasn't a very good movie lol. It was fun to make and great learning experience but we shot it in 2003 and released in 2005 and I've learned a lot in the last 15 years so wanted to pull a George Lucas and remake it in post and see what I would get.

5. Collapse Details
    The way these AI tools work is through training: unless the network was trained to deinterlace, I wouldn't expect great results. Also, it looks like most (all?) of these offerings are trained for specific scale factors, 2x, 4x, etc. So they're not at the 'render at any scale' level yet.

Overall good progress- if not good enough for your needs, it may be in the near future as these companies rush to compete with better results.

6. Collapse Details
    As the processing power of the CPU/GPU grows every year, the algorithms also become more complicated and higher performing. Most (well, I believe it's most) mobile phones have a "digital zoom", which is the in-phone upscaling in real time. But what we're seeing here is the "post". In post, these various brands can and will serve different purposes - some will work better for stills, some for video. I see the biggest market to be in upscaling the relatively low resolution of the secondary mobile phone cameras. With the main modules now moving toward the 48-64-108 MPX res, there's still a need for the low light/low MPX and ultra wide/selfie alternatives and those should be the prime candidates for these upscaling services. There are about six billion mobile phones out in the wild and each takes thousands of photos annually. That's where the money ought to be.

PS. I suppose one could also upscale Alexa LF footage to 6K/8K but that might be required only when the 6K/8K streaming takes off and that won't be for quite some time.

7. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography
    This company is doing some pretty impressive upscaling:

https://videogorillas.com/#superresolution
    Charles Papert
    charlespapert.com

8. Collapse Details
    I noticed a lot of these demos use footage that started higher quality to begin with, either film or higher resolution video that looks like it was first downscaled and then run through their process. I want to see terrible VHS camcorder video from the 80s run through these.

9. Collapse Details

It was released today. Or yesterday.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    Kudos- looking better and better. The low res to HD and 4K is really impressive. HD to 4K needs a bit more work on fine detail aliasing, then no more visible artifacts = professional grade.

Online service only: https://videoai.topazlabs.com/faq

Desktop versions will be cool for those with decent GPUs (they're likely doing online only as a business model as long as they can (there will be desktop versions soon from other vendors). There's also source code / tools for developers- results look decent (someone could use this with e.g. ffmpeg libs to upscale video): https://github.com/alexjc/neural-enhance

https://github.com/idealo/image-super-resolution

Last edited by jcs; 02-13-2020 at 11:22 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast