1. Collapse Details
    New Year's Resolutions DO work - according to Dr. Moseley
    Rockin the Boat
    Dr. Moseley is a pretty well-known physician who is a media presence in Britain (BBC and more). We're all pretty jaded when it comes to NY Resolutions, but Dr. Moseley claims that they do indeed work, and he's thinking BIG and making 20 health-related resolutions going forward.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...-sceptics.html

So, how about it? Instead of being jaded and cynical, anyone have any NY Resolutions you can to share? Doesn't have to be health related, just anything!

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by OldCorpse View Post
    Dr. Moseley is a pretty well-known physician who is a media presence in Britain (BBC and more). We're all pretty jaded when it comes to NY Resolutions, but Dr. Moseley claims that they do indeed work, and he's thinking BIG and making 20 health-related resolutions going forward.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...-sceptics.html

So, how about it? Instead of being jaded and cynical, anyone have any NY Resolutions you can to share? Doesn't have to be health related, just anything!
    Health is a big one for me. The second is less screen time. I spent a lot of time analyzing movies and footage this year. I want to save my screen time for when i am looking through a lens or grading footy.

Life is good.

I’ll still be on the boards next year too. Hoping to spend more time talking work than cameras, as cameras have gotten so good, i don’t have anything to complain about anymore. I like them all.

What about you Oldcorpse?
    Last edited by James0b57; 12-30-2019 at 01:01 AM.

3. Collapse Details
    For me, they are as follows:

- I've been fairly consistent with the gym this year, but it was definitely more my B game than my A game. I'd like to step it up a notch this year.

- Make more friends. Moved to a new city last year and while it's been wonderful for me and my wife, I'm missing having a social circle and some fun ways to blow off steam.

- As far as work goes....without sounding too doom and gloom, I want to actually care again. I feel like I've been going through the motions with video production, I've become kinda jaded and it increasingly feels like more of a job / paycheck than anything I get creative satisfaction from. It's a big reason why I've kept photography as a hobby, there's a certain joy I still get with it that hasn't been spoiled by clients/deadlines/work the way video has.

4. Collapse Details
    Rockin the Boat
    For me, it's to step up and make my diet a bit better and my exercise too. I already jog, but recently I incorporated HIIT into it, and I wanna keep that up. I also want to continue my recent Rubber Band Training for muscles, and keep it up in 2020. I'm pretty confindent I can keep this resolution.

Here are resolutions I have failed with in the past:

1) Stop spending so much money on "stuff". I already have so much, soon it'll be hoarder type situation. Almost every day there's another Amazon package or from some other online retailer. I have way, way too much stuff. Starting 2020, I will try to only buy the absolute necessities - I'll be honest, I've been saying this for years and years, but somehow it always ends up with more buying. Now I'm determined - the last big spending is this year, because I had to buy a bunch of presents for X-mas.

2) Spend less time on the internet. I start legit "research", and then gradually it goes off on tangents and soon hours have passed again. I am really hoping to cut back on this. I was able to do it with TV for more than 10 years now, I only watch a few shows which I watch online, stuff friends recommend, not just random stuff. I cut my cable and have not looked back. Now I'm hoping to do the same with the internet, use it only for what I need, like banking and a few things, and limit any "research" and try to only watch youtube that I absolutely need to. Again, I've failed at this resolution in the past, hoping 2020 will be it.

My trick has been to start on some stuff early, like diet and exercise I've started already for a few weeks, so when 2020 rolls around, I can just continue. But other stuff I have to really start 2020. I guess we'll see how successful I am at these resolutions!

5. Collapse Details
    Old corpse I think you need a counter goal to help yourself stay on track. Rather than only cutting out or spending, some measures or goals in the opposite direction could help ensure this time is a success. Do you have a saving goal? Or a goal to invest in some experiences instead of stuff? What about a goal on how to better use the wasted internet time - new hobbies, investment into some relationships in a new way? Etc

6. Collapse Details
    Firstly - IMO be sceptical of the Daily Mail.

I think there is some chance of resolutions working in this industry. Till March anyway!

Im quiet till mid january - so I will get my sh_it together a bit - get some excersise , clean the office up.. whatever. By next December Ill be rushing about completing everything, (business commitments) while doing tax return and prepping for Xmas.. everything will be dropped and Ill live on cra_P and take no excersise .. its a circle.

---
    The daily Amazon parcel is bad.. but we still live in a world where cinema cameras 'dont work' and the multitude of little bit are required. At least Amazon delivers Dtap cables or whatever for $15 not $60 like pre Amazon times. Ideally our cameras would not be a cludge of bits held together with Meccano and Dtap cables.

7. Collapse Details
    Rockin the Boat
    That's a good trick, filmguy! I gotta do some counter-goals... genius! Very exciting, and right on time, tomorrow it's 01-01-2020.

re: Daily Mail - right, it's a rag, but Dr. Moseley is legit, so I assume they didn't just make up what he said. Anyhow, yes, for years time was the problem when it came to exercise, but eventually I found that if you just make the time a priority, then come what may, you'll exercise. That's what I've done so far, and it's working. Not exercising is just not an option. From time to time I still have thoughts and whispers from the devil on my left shoulder "eh, how about letting it go today, you're tired, just today - won't make a difference, you'll get right back to it tomorrow, come on, it's just one day!" - but I quickly swat away such thoughts, and put on my shoes and off I go running. I admit I am super lucky in that there's an athletic park like 5 minutes from where I live, so it's super easy to walk over there, and do my 4 miles on the track. There are also a bunch of tennis courts and I've promised my wife that we'll play more tennis come 2020, so we'll see how that goes - it's easy and close by. Weight lifting is an issue though - I bought some Rubber Bands on a recommendation of a dvxuser, and I work out at home, but I'd like to get on some machines, so I'm mulling over signing up to a gym... probably won't happen. I used to belong to gyms over the years, and while I like the workouts, I hate the commute, getting there, waiting on machines or weights and the general depressing atmosphere (to me). So, odds are no gym for me 2020. Oh well.

8. Collapse Details
    Resolutions? Resolutions? We don't need no stinkin' resolutions!

9. Collapse Details
    My resolution for year 2020 is 3840 x 2160.

Thought about 8k but don't see any need yet.
    Big sources matter.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by JPNola View Post
    My resolution for year 2020 is 3840 x 2160.

Thought about 8k but don't see any need yet.
    For 8k you definitely need 20/20.