1. Collapse Details
    Does VideoMic NTG have pre-amps?
    Asking because I am going to use it primarily on a smartphone. Will it bypass the sucky pre-amps and rely on its own for the sound?

Also, will it be a worthy upgrade from the videomicro? I listened to all the video reviews on Youtube, and it didn't sound very different on my Edifier 1600T3.

2. Collapse Details
    One's a shotgun the other a cardioid both use the preamp in the recording device. The shotgun is not an upgrade, it's a different type of mic that can work further away, and needs more careful aiming. I doubt either would sound very different in any meaningful way you can understand without doing some listening. Phones are very good utility tools, but they rarely offer a sonically superior performance for recording with low level inputs.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by dylansmith View Post
    Asking because I am going to use it primarily on a smartphone. Will it bypass the sucky pre-amps and rely on its own for the sound?
    As per Rode's own blurb 'it is also a fully-featured USB microphone that can be plugged into a computer, tablet, or smartphone'.

Cheers,

Roland

4. Collapse Details
    Which doesn't answer the question, does it?

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Gweilo66 View Post
    Not sure if this is intended for me?! But if so, then, yes, the fact that 'it is also a fully-featured USB microphone that can be plugged into a computer, tablet, or smartphone' means that it has an internal preamp and ADC, and that it won't rely on the smartphone/tablet/computer's questionable preamp. Or, indeed, an unbalanced connection. Paul has addressed the second question about comparison to the (cardioid) VideoMicro in terms of polar pattern (though, obviously, there is a significant difference in quality - not least self-noise - too).

Cheers,

Roland

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Gweilo66 View Post
    You mean if you care at all about quality why would you record on a phone?
    The answer is you don't care so the "quality" of the preamps in the mic is pretty imaterial.

That said the preamps in a modern phone are probably the same chips in a small consumer strap on mic so again it probably doesn't make a lot of difference. And as a rule any device that doesn't have dedicated line in jacks routes everything through it's internal preamps always. If you send a line level signal to a phones 1/8" jack it is going through the phones mic pre's. It is just padding that signal down and then treating it like a mic level input.
    So again doesn't make a lot of difference. What will make a difference is getting a decent mic and hooking it up to a decent recorder. A video mic and a phone is really pushing the bottom edge of possibly acceptable for anything but the lowest bar stuff like maybe a podcast? home movie?

If you are going in digitally, ie USB, then the phone is just a bit bucket and it should be fine for that (till you get a text in the middle of the shot).
    Cheers
    SK

Scott Koue
    Web Page
    Noiz on Noise

ďIt ainít ignorance that causes all the troubles in this world, itís the things that people know that ainít soĒ

Edwin Howard Armstrong
    creator of modern radio