Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
    This one has been pretty divisive. You either love it or hate it. My gut feeling coming out of the theatre is that I enjoyed it more than the previous two. The film seemed to get more of the core, fundamental Star Wars elements and values right than the other films in this trilogy. The plot does not stand up to any scrutiny, but in terms of having heart, a real feeling of camaraderie, chemistry between the leads and a clear cut battle between good and evil I thought it really worked. It felt more like the Star Wars of old. Seeing that in this film made it painfully obvious how much of that was lacking in the others. I thought the central conflict between Rey and Kylo Ren was compelling. I wasn't sure how the dilemma between them was going to resolve and the two actors have never been better in their roles. All that said, it is clear watching where they went with the story that they had NO IDEA where it was going when they started out. The two previous films are practically disposable now, other than for the character introductions. Most of the plot developments lead to nothing, especially everything that happened in The Last Jedi. I'm not going to lay down in traffic to defend this movie. It's fun and entertaining in the way the first Transformers movie was, or JJ's first Star Trek. A series of engaging incidents haphazardly strung together, told at a furious pace and elevated by some talented, charismatic actors. Going through it with a fine tooth comb, as others are already doing, I know it will not hold up. But I'd be lying if I didn't say that, in the moment, I was having fun watching this, and it evoked some of those same feelings I had watching the original trilogy.
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

2. Collapse Details
    It was awesome.
    Jaime VallÚs
    AJV Media
    Video, Photography & Graphic Design: www.ajvmedia.com

3. Collapse Details
    The OT is riddled with as many inconsistencies and plot holes... I found it very entertaining and in the proper tone of Star Wars. It’s not perfect, but overall thumbs up.

SPOILERS

I think it’s presumptive that people are arguing that Reys lineage is a retcon. Even in Last Jedi I immediately thought “yeah right”... my assumption was kylo saw a vision of her caretakers as nobodies, not her actual parents. In the same way Luke’s caretakers were “nobodies”. Anyway, whatever the truth is there Star Wars has always misdirected in that regards and been full of “from a certain perspective” moments. Whatever.

I also thought they did plenty of new things and think it’s incredulous to say it does nothing new. The nostalgia was strong with this one, but it was jam packed with fresh ideas. And, Rian Johnson’s film - even if you loved the ideas - was poorly executed in so many ways, and frankly kinda boring to rewatch. Beyond that, while I liked many of his cerebral ideas in theory, they were wrong for Star Wars.

Ep9 gets it right - it’s a fairy tale about the hero’s journey, identity, and good vs evil. And, episode 7-9 should never ever have been considered as the time to reinvent Star Wars, it’s the time to finish the original story arc George had penned out and rekindle Star Wars. Leave reinventing the wheel to spin offs and new trilogies,

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    I thought the narrative arc was finished with Return of the Jedi. Episodes 7-9 are just an unnecessary cash grab. Episode 7 was essentially a remake of Episode 4 when you analyze the narrative. Plus, they shattered the Han/Leia romance. They were supposed to live happily ever after! (Granted, you can never actually show happily ever after, you have to imagine it.)

Star Wars is really personal to me because I watched them so many times as a kid. The prequel trilogy was poorly executed, but at least the storyline was decent and somewhat sensible.

I would rather rewatch the originals than watch Episode 9. Sometimes more is less. Adding on can ruin what you already had. But I will watch the ancillary films that don't F with the main narrative.

This article speaks the truth about what happened to Star Wars: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/20/o...gtype=Homepage

5. Collapse Details
    I have not seen it yet. Can anyone confirm if Darth Jar Jar turns out to be the ultimate villain?

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Coughlin View Post
    I have not seen it yet. Can anyone confirm if Darth Jar Jar turns out to be the ultimate villain?
    SPOILERS

Palpatine does say “I am every voice you have ever heard inside your head”, so by extension of this logic, I am going to say yes. Honestly, there is really no other explanation for jar jar other than the darkest sith manifestations.

7. Collapse Details
    The OT is riddled with as many inconsistencies and plot holes...
    The OT have simpler, more streamlined stories so just by that virtue, they don't have as many, and they aren't as glaring and problematic. Rise of Skywalker just piles them on scene after scene, and opens up whole cans of worms with its new ideas.

SPOILERS

You can suddenly heal people with the force. That would have come in handy DOZENS of times in the previous movies. Suddenly multiple characters in the Star Wars universe have this ability.

The ancient Sith Dagger that lines up with the relatively recent wreckage of the second Death Star...um, what?

Palpatine building an ARMADA of Star Destroyers in secret on a world nobody knows how to get to. Okay.

All those Star Destroyers having planet killing lasers, when they previously needed a moon sized architecture to support them....Even in a universe with laser swords, slower than light blasters and space slugs, this strains credibility.

The Star Destroyers can't launch into space for some contrived reason only to have a ticking clock.

These are just some of the questions I had while watching the movie only once, which I still enjoyed.
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    Overall it was entertaining and fun to watch on a big, true IMAX screen (my family's yearly tradition), but definitely not life changing. I'd put it in the same bucket as a super hero movie where it feels like half the movie is exposition to educate/remind the audience of a world and characters that's too hard to track unless you're a fanatic. I love the theme of teamwork, but call me old fashioned, but I'd rather have fewer characters and storylines and go deeper with them. To me emotion, connection, and feeling is the great power of film. Using it to relay information - in my opinion - is not a great use.

Also, I loved how Return of the Jedi utilized the idea of having three simultaneous story lines going on at the same time and intercutting back and forth, but I felt like this movie (and maybe the other two new ones) overused this to death. Felt like one big action sequence. The ADD force is strong with this one.

Maybe #7 could have been a character study on Rey while raising the stakes for the rest of the universe. #8 could have been a character study on Kylo Ren while further ratcheting the stakes and then #9 could have been their two worlds fully colliding with the fate of the whole universe hanging in the balance?
    Last edited by chris f; 12-30-2019 at 02:54 PM.
    Director | Making Lemonade: Our Covid 19 Story
    (warning: this film contains 0% politics, 0% conspiracies, & 100% optimism)

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Batutta View Post
    The OT have simpler, more streamlined stories so just by that virtue, they don't have as many, and they aren't as glaring and problematic. Rise of Skywalker just piles them on scene after scene, and opens up whole cans of worms with its new ideas.

SPOILERS

You can suddenly heal people with the force. That would have come in handy DOZENS of times in the previous movies. Suddenly multiple characters in the Star Wars universe have this ability.

The ancient Sith Dagger that lines up with the relatively recent wreckage of the second Death Star...um, what?

Palpatine building an ARMADA of Star Destroyers in secret on a world nobody knows how to get to. Okay.

All those Star Destroyers having planet killing lasers, when they previously needed a moon sized architecture to support them....Even in a universe with laser swords, slower than light blasters and space slugs, this strains credibility.

The Star Destroyers can't launch into space for some contrived reason only to have a ticking clock.

These are just some of the questions I had while watching the movie only once, which I still enjoyed.
    I can't really assess it yet. I enjoyed the copious apologies for the last movie too much to take it on its own merits.

When I do, I'm sure the things you point out here will probably weigh in heavily.
    LEARN FILMMAKING - DIGITAL STREAMING AND DOWNLOADS OF GREAT TRAINING PROGRAMS!

WRITING FOR TELEVISION ARTICLE | "ASSUMPTION BLUES" FILM NOIR RADIO PLAY | "BLUE SCARLET" RADIO PLAY

10. Collapse Details
    I also enjoyed it and thought it was the best of the three. It didn't feel like a remake or a film that was trying to push some kind of social agenda in disguise. It just felt like a fun (although flawed) ride that gets to the heart of what Star Wars is.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast