Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    ...I kinda wish i bought an LT when they were on sale. Idk about anyone else, but i’d be hard pressed to prefer the XT3 orver the Varicam, even if the DR numbers are better for the XT3. I did not care for the look of that camera. Good for the price, but again, so is the LT at $10K.
    Still on sale
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ts=pi-ps&pim=Y

2. Collapse Details
    The Varicam 35 has been mentioned to be noisy, similar to the Sony Venice. I assume this is also a slight artifact of reaching deep down into the full sensor potential. I kinda wish i bought an LT when they were on sale. Idk about anyone else, but id be hard pressed to prefer the XT3 orver the Varicam, even if the DR numbers are better for the XT3. I did not care for the look of that camera. Good for the price, but again, so is the LT at $10K.
    The VariCam LT special Instant Rebate offer has been extended to March 2020. $9,995 gets you the body, monitor/control panel, locking EF mount (PL-style clamp), top handle, and all the built in I/O connectivity with integrated battery mount. Many of those items cost extra on other high end camera systems. The offer on the VariCam LT is an incredible deal.
    Mitch Gross
    NYC

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Pretty sure Geoff was wrong about c700 but who knows. Interesting way of combining some qualitative assessments into a quantitative chart. Seems fairly accurate otherwise. There is a lot more to seeing the full picture of these cameras. For example Gemini is great and doesn't do too bad in low light except the blue channel can still leave a lot to be desired though you don't notice it unless you have some fairly saturated blue detail in shadows.

I'd like to imagine this is totally correct as an owner of a Gemini and xt3 both of which seem to be class leaders according to this chart. I think their position may be slightly inflated by underrating of some other cameras. Monstro seems underrated here but the canons seem overrrated. It's interesting to see the wide discrepancy in ratings of the c200...
    Last edited by nyvz; 12-23-2019 at 09:34 AM.
    Noah Yuan-Vogel
    http://www.noahyv.com

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    The X-T3 has few quirks, and 2 outright flaws that make it it tough to recommend but as hybrid cameras go, the image is undeniable.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Morillo View Post
    The X-T3 has few quirks, and 2 outright flaws that make it it tough to recommend but as hybrid cameras go, the image is undeniable.
    What are the quirks/flaws you're referring to?
    Noah Yuan-Vogel
    http://www.noahyv.com

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Retrospective View Post
    Unfortunately, i made up a bunch of reasons why i needed something else.

So, i bought a camera that was a decent amount more, when i didn’t have any real business logic to spending more. I mean, it will make the money back, but the LT could too, but for less.

7. Collapse Details
    Unfortunately, i made up a bunch of reasons why i needed something else.

So, i bought a camera that was a decent amount more, when i didn’t have any real business logic to spending more. I mean, it will make the money back, but the LT could too, but for less.
    What did you go for?

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jcs View Post
    While it's currently a lot of work in post, AI upscaling will make old great cameras great again, e.g. the F35 and ~2K Alexas:

https://topazlabs.com/gigapixel-ai/
    https://captrobau.blogspot.com/2019/...-topaz-ai.html

As AI scalers improve, 2K to 8K will even be possible.
    AI scaling is pretty cool. It looks pretty bad on the TV’s i’ve seen so far.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by nyvz View Post
    What are the quirks/flaws you're referring to?
    The flaws are continuous autofocus that use to be reliable was ruined in their 3.0 and above firmware. Fujifilm zooms have visible exposure shifts during zooming. Essentially making them variable primes. The video portions during the zoom action are mostly unusable.

Quirks include a round about way of getting to 180 degree shutter angles. In video mode you can get to the correct shutter speed but you have turn both the dial and then the wheel to get to shutter speeds that would line up with corresponding 180 degree shutter. The 601 to 709 colorspace issue in premiere pro. Final Cut and Resolve have this worked out, but still it's a quirk to record 2020 HDR, and 709 UHD but use a 601 color matrix. Why do that? A couple more minor things but those are the ones that bug me.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Morillo View Post
    The flaws are continuous autofocus that use to be reliable was ruined in their 3.0 and above firmware. Fujifilm zooms have visible exposure shifts during zooming. Essentially making them variable primes. The video portions during the zoom action are mostly unusable.

Quirks include a round about way of getting to 180 degree shutter angles. In video mode you can get to the correct shutter speed but you have turn both the dial and then the wheel to get to shutter speeds that would line up with corresponding 180 degree shutter. The 601 to 709 colorspace issue in premiere pro. Final Cut and Resolve have this worked out, but still it's a quirk to record 2020 HDR, and 709 UHD but use a 601 color matrix. Why do that? A couple more minor things but those are the ones that bug me.
    I'm not sure I really see the zoom exposure ramping as that big of on issue. The Fuji stills zooms aren't parfocal, so zooming mid-shot is hugely problematic for focus for anyway. Sure it'd be nice if they didn't do it, but they're focus-by-wire, stills lenses, and whole inappropriate for manual video shooting anyway. Just use an adapter and manual lenses if you want proper lens control (like you would with any other camera).

And set the dial to "T" and you have full control of the shutter via just the dial (without any need to adjust the wheel on top).

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast