Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    Not that I could find in the menus but remember, we are talking Sony menus here, so it's possible that you could set the ND between two values? I'm back at Sony next week for a workshop, I'll ask the Sony trainer if that's possible.
    The Sony menus are like decoding ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics ;-) I did try a handheld shot where I carried the FX9 low by the handle and walked with it straight into the sun
    and the FX9 ND tracked my exposure pretty nicely. I also tried panning on an off the sun peaking around a rock. I was laughing thinking that my Canons would have been useless in those shots.

Interesting too that Z CAM introduced their E ND Filter yesterday for almost all of their models at $399.00. Not as sophisticated as the Sony system but still allows adjustment in 1/3 stop increments allowing for 1.7 to almost 7 stops of ND.

I predict variable electronic ND is the next autofocus, it's too handy and too good. This feature alone, from a shooting perspective, makes the FX9 almost more attractive than the C500 MKII to me, even though I like Canons.
    Lol who would've thought vari-nd would shake things up so much! It makes sense though when images are really nice across the board then it comes down to things like size and certain features.

If sony/lens control product could map their vari nd to replace the iris on a FIZ, you'd have a FI, hold the Z, but without motors.

I know adjusting ND is different to iris but I assume the ability to change exposure through aperture happened because of the designs of the lenses, as well as high ISO shooting and vari-nd not existing, rather than being the most ideal way to control exposure in a cinema environment. A director of an event with a camera on the end of a long jib wouldn't care but I imagine cinematographers would prefer the ability to maintain T-stop if all else was the same, or close enough.

I'm not talking about creating a product that makes money, just speculating about an advance in tech that eliminates hardware and set up time.

2. Collapse Details
    After shooting the FX9 for a week going back to regular NDs on the Canons is tough. Probably overall the coolest feature on the FX9. You can do a lot of fun, creative things with it.
    Does the FX9 use normal "0.3, 0.6, 0.9" nomenclature for ND densities?

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Grug View Post
    Does the FX9 use normal "0.3, 0.6, 0.9" nomenclature for ND densities?
    No, I saw "1/4 stop" all of the way to "1/128th" is the way it displays it. You can operate it traditionally with fixed steps,
    or flick the switch to variable. It's really nice. I don't have a shot of the readout on the display but here are the switches.

01.jpg
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

4. Collapse Details
    Looking at that picture, I see that stupid ISO switch from ancient history. Dear camera manufacturers, Please, please get rid of that idiotic L,M,H ISO switch and replace it with and up/down toggle switch. This is an example of how dopey vendors can be. It's one of those "It's always been this way" things that needs to go away. Who needs to go into a menu and set up three ISOs when it would be so much more convenient to have it toggle up or down.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
    Looking at that picture, I see that stupid ISO switch from ancient history. Dear camera manufacturers, Please, please get rid of that idiotic L,M,H ISO switch and replace it with and up/down toggle switch. This is an example of how dopey vendors can be. It's one of those "It's always been this way" things that needs to go away. Who needs to go into a menu and set up three ISOs when it would be so much more convenient to have it toggle up or down.
    It is the LMFAO iso switch. The Black Magic ursa pro has it as a spring loaded toggle switch, so the operator can push up or down infinitely until the desired iso setting is hit. Surprisingly good!

Also, A reduser Gemini vs Fx9 thread just popped up, and as one would expect, the redusers prefer the Red sensor. still, good reading, and actually kind of proves how cool the Fx9 potentially is.

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...49#post1892249

Shot by the same chap that did the FF35 cinema camera shoot out recently.
    Last edited by James0b57; 03-06-2020 at 12:43 PM.

6. Collapse Details
    That's one thing our Canons do that I like, no dedicated ISO/gain toggle switch, it's a button but I use the + and - quick button and then the joystick.
    Although I wish it didn't take two separate buttons and multiple steps, but it's still faster than diving into the menus.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    It is the LMFAO iso switch. The Black Magic ursa pro has it as a spring loaded toggle switch, so the operator can push up or down infinitely until the desired iso setting is hit. Surprisingly good!
    HD Video Pro just posted my review of the BMD Ursa Mini Pro G2. It's a cool camera but has some puzzling omissions. Great slow motion, build quality, image quality
    but the lack of waveform and weird location of the XLR inputs makes me scratch my head?

https://www.hdvideopro.com/gear/came...a-mini-pro-g2/
    Last edited by puredrifting; 03-10-2020 at 08:39 AM.

8. Collapse Details
    Hd Video Pro just posted my review of the BMD Ursa Mini Pro G2. It's a cool camera but has some puzzling omissions. Great slow motion, build quality, image quality
    but the lack of waveform and weird location of the XLR inputs makes me scratch my head?

https://www.hdvideopro.com/gear/came...a-mini-pro-g2/
    Interesting camera, for sure. So many features and options, and the IQ iíve seen from my friends is fantastic, regardless of price. Yet, it feels sort of home made when i pick it up. Like someone built their own PC on a budget, but got the best GFX card. I really like the Pockets though. Had a loaner, and kind of missing it.

9. Collapse Details
    All cameras should have a Bluetooth app for the AC that they can use on an iPad. It would be so much easier. They just hang the pad from a lanyard around their neck and away you go.

10. Collapse Details
    All cameras should have a Bluetooth app for the AC that they can use on an iPad. It would be so much easier. They just hang the pad from a lanyard around their neck and away you go.
    Ah, i deleted my post before seeing you replied. I meant to write something constructive, and then went on a meandering rant about camera design. Haha.

Yes, wireless camera control is one of the many new modern conveniences that are being implemented. I still like the menus to have a screen built into the camera body.
    Last edited by James0b57; 03-09-2020 at 10:29 AM.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast