Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Recommendations for stabilized "walking" camera setup?
    I've got a gig calling for shooting interiors of some office buildings with lobbies, conference rooms, hallways etc, to entice leasing. What rig would you choose for 1 man working fast, autofocus and gimbal stabilization? This is speedy work for youtube distribution. Thinking maybe the DJI Osmos but it's poor in low light, or would my GX9 on a gimbal be better for low light situations so I can use a faster lens? I also have a DVX200.

2. Collapse Details
    How wide do you need to go? All the cameras you're mentioning have smaller sensors.

The GX9 with a SpeedBooster may work. Or with a wider MFT lens. But then AF is pretty much out (but you'd have IBIS). You can also use MF at a higher aperture.

If it's a one-time important gig, I'd maybe rent a full-frame camera [something like a 1DX Mark II (4K is @1.3x) or 1DX Mark III with a Sigma 14mm = beautiful results). Or a7RIV. Nikon D780. Or something even cheaper. Is 4K mandatory?

You'd have wide, low-light, AF, and 4K slow-motion (on the Canons) for appealing shots while walking (even without IS on some models).

Maybe if you share more about the project/goals, we can narrow it down.

___

For the best IBIS, you have two choices: Panasonic or Olympus

For the best AF, you have two choices: Sony or Canon

So you'll have to compromise unless you use a gimbal or settle for no AF. [People shoot f/8+ with MF on full-frame cameras (better low-light) all the time and capture nice results.]

3. Collapse Details
    What is your budget for renting or buying gear?

What are the lenses you already have?

How dark do you think it will be?
    www.AbeHalpert.com

"Captain, the most elementary and valuable statement in science, the beginning of wisdom, is 'I do not know.'" - Lt. Cmdr. Data

4. Collapse Details
    I have various f2.8 lens in m4/3. Widest being a 20mm 1.7 and I have a nikon d750 with fast lenses starting with a 20mm f1.8. As far as darkness, not expecting too dark, maybe some daytime hallways or conference rooms with windows. Was mulling over the DJI Ronin-SC Gimbal Stabilizer that is on 1 day sale at BH today. I have some budget. It's 10 buildings in different states. Just trying to make it easy on myself to get in-focus moving shots.

5. Collapse Details
    20mm on MFT isn't going to get you a lot in the room if you can't back up too far.

20mm on a D750 would be very nice, but the video resolution is limited (but maybe it doesn't matter).

6. Collapse Details
    I think the resolution of the 20mm 1.8 would be adequate for this job. Would be cutting with drone footage from my Mavic. Just haven't done much video with the Nikon d750. Not being a mirrorless camera makes it kinda of a drag to monitor. It's what I usually shoot architecture stills with. Maybe as you were saying, f8 and a wide lens would be acceptable focus. And would consider purchasing or renting another camera. Shooting 4k but editing on 1080 timeline etc.

7. Collapse Details
    I meant the resolution of the camera...the D750 has pixel-binned HD. Any detail in wider shots would fall apart compared to modern day cameras optimized for video output. (It would look like complete mush. But maybe that's okay, IDK. But there are much better cameras for the job.)

The lens itself is perfectly fine. And stills are gorgeous. Just needs to be on a camera with better video processing.

And the D750 doesn't have 4K video.

8. Collapse Details
    Understood. Maybe Nikon Z7? I have a lot of Nikon lenses and not sure I want to go down the Sony A7 road.

9. Collapse Details
    For the D750, can you view video through the viewfinder or do you have to go to the LV?
    Nothing wrong with LV shooting which would be required anyway for walking, but just thinking of versatility when shooting stills to quickly shoot video.

10. Collapse Details
    Totally. Or Z6. (Would need adapter for either one.)

Or D780. F-mount DSLR. New camera. Full-frame 4K (no crop). Has digital IS too, but don't expect world-class performance.

I'll be using one myself this week for the first time. Supposedly Nikon's best video AF too.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...lr_camera.html

___

Quote Originally Posted by Sneakle View Post
    For the D750, can you view video through the viewfinder or do you have to go to the LV?
    LV

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast