1. Collapse Details
    Monitor - Im lost
    So davinci resolve 16 wont work with my old Imac (which cant run catalina) - for various reasons I need to upgrade to DR16.

Seperately I aquired a XVM 325w (http://www.tvlogic.tv/New/M_Spec.asp?sidx=37) which I can run off my PC that will run DR16

While the latter monitor seems to have a good spec.. I find it crap compared to my iMac screen.

No punch, no full white experience (I guess the mac has more nits?) And the mac has more resolution.

So my options are..
    Use a PC to drive me imac screen .. has anyone done this? There seems to be an HDMI -> thunderbolt box from black magic.

Buy an affordable 4k monitor that I can grade on with the 'punchy mac experience' - maybe an LG or something.. but clearly Im scared of that with all the auto sh_t that can occur with those consumer monitrs - especially as they are now alledging to b HDR

Example https://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-27UK600-...6993581&sr=8-5

ANy thoughts?

2. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan_moore View Post
    So davinci resolve 16 wont work with my old Imac (which cant run catalina) - for various reasons I need to upgrade to DR16.
    Not sure how old your Imac is but Resolve 16 works fine on Mojave...?
    Charles Papert
    charlespapert.com

3. Collapse Details

4. Collapse Details
    Out of interest here is the TVL vs the imac .. the TVL might be OK now Ive twonkled some settings..
    imac - looke like this both on the web and on the screen
    skateLivio_1.12.1.jpg
    tv logic - looked the same as the above.. but when shifted to the web looks flat
    livio_sakte_marshall_1.2.1.jpg

each level of saturation looks correct on each monitor.. I wonder which looks best to 'the viewer'

tv logic 'user 2' - with some tweaks now looks overdone!
    skate_user2_1.10.3.jpg
    Last edited by morgan_moore; 12-22-2019 at 03:38 PM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    I (still) work on a 2012 Mac Pro on High Sierra... didn't upgrade OS beyond that because of lack of CUDA support for my Nvidia GPU (but that's moot now that Adobe 2020 dropped support as well). Anyway, Resolve 16 has always worked flawlessly on High Sierra. Doesn't need Mojave or newer. Hope that helps!

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Seanik View Post
    I (still) work on a 2012 Mac Pro on High Sierra... didn't upgrade OS beyond that because of lack of CUDA support for my Nvidia GPU (but that's moot now that Adobe 2020 dropped support as well).
    I've been in this same boat with 2012 iMac w/ NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX that I'm still running HS on. But because of the lack of CUDA support - just purchased '19 iMac. And that would be my recommendation to you Sam - obviously, if you can swing it. Having gotten used to grading on iMac - I think it would be hard to switch to alternative - but dunno, maybe you've already done that.

Now I'm trying to decide if I keep the 2012 model and go ahead and upgrade to Catalina - mostly to use a secondary (sidecar) monitor with the new one. Or if I should keep it on High Sierra a while longer...?

7. Collapse Details
    I think there is a difference between 2012 and mid 2011 for options?

I don’t fancy buying a new one - more likely to get a pc if I have to get anything.

I’ll give it a proper think in the new year.

Maybe a cheap 4K monitor - the TVL HD is just too pixelated at my viewing distance