Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Collapse Details
    That's the idea but it looks like it still needs to be manually controlled, rather than working like an auto iris. Also not for sale. Would be great to see one that could be attached to the end of a lens.

2. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography
    I shot a spot last year using motorized variable ND's, remote controlled from a follow van:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...=uber+for+fair
    Charles Papert
    charlespapert.com

3. Collapse Details
    Wow. That was a complicated scenario, but demonstrates that there is indeed a need for something like this and probably a market for the right product.

4. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography
    I contacted Panavision to see if I could get an evaluation loaner but they couldn't do it. This product seems to be stuck in development at moment. At the time of introduction, there was talk of another company repping a for-sale version--can't remember if it was Lee possibly?
    Charles Papert
    charlespapert.com

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesPapert View Post
    I contacted Panavision to see if I could get an evaluation loaner but they couldn't do it. This product seems to be stuck in development at moment. At the time of introduction, there was talk of another company repping a for-sale version--can't remember if it was Lee possibly?
    Cmotion has their version called Cinefade, it's been getting a decent amount of use, although at roughly 8 thousand Euros/9 thousand USD for such a niche use item, it probably falls more into rental territory.

There's a quick couple of shots at the top of their site showing it in action

https://cinefade.com/

Can't get embed to work, but this is a great example:
    https://vimeo.com/343012502
    Last edited by Nick M; 04-10-2020 at 11:51 AM.

6. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography
    I'm familiar with Cinefade but there's a big difference between that system and the Panavision product. What I did on the Uber spot was a poor-man's version of Cinefade.
    Charles Papert
    charlespapert.com

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesPapert View Post
    I'm familiar with Cinefade but there's a big difference between that system and the Panavision product. What I did on the Uber spot was a poor-man's version of Cinefade.
    I haven't seen any electronic ones aside from the Panavision model but its also not something I particularly looked out for.

8. Collapse Details
    If someone could bring a quality VeND filter, as least as good as Sony's internal, to market for sale, at $1K-$2K, it would sell like hotcakes. Hell, at $3K they still wouldn't have a problem selling them. They'd probably have a problem keeping them in-stock. A quality 4x5.65 ND is pushing at least $240-$250 each with the IR ND's doubling that. I'd drop $1K-$2K and not think twice about it, for one that I could ride like an iris seamlessly from 1-stop to 8 or 10.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123