Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28
  1. Collapse Details
    #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Washington, the state.
    Posts
    3,631
    Default
    So I just remembered, I have this decade old fabric matte box. I think it is called a Cinetactics and haven't heard of them in years. But it is has just enough sunshade to be effective and will hold a full sized filter on a typical DSLR lens as long as your not doing something violent. It has some grippy tight fitting elastic that goes around the lend barrel, so might not fit every lens. I'll dig mine out end see how well it might work. My recollection is it was some swag for a camera deal. It was nicely constructed of cordura and plenty stiff enough to hold its shape. I just never had enough need to use it so it is somewhere in a box. Folds flat too, but this belies my original intent somewhat; to have a really compact and quick to use kit. It is an interesting thought though to be able to change out my full size filters in a jif and then stuff the whole arrangement in a pretty small and light bag.

    Grant


    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
    #12
    Senior Member puredrifting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles, Ca.
    Posts
    10,495
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrantly View Post
    So I just remembered, I have this decade old fabric matte box. I think it is called a Cinetactics and haven't heard of them in years. But it is has just enough sunshade to be effective and will hold a full sized filter on a typical DSLR lens as long as your not doing something violent. It has some grippy tight fitting elastic that goes around the lend barrel, so might not fit every lens. I'll dig mine out end see how well it might work. My recollection is it was some swag for a camera deal. It was nicely constructed of cordura and plenty stiff enough to hold its shape. I just never had enough need to use it so it is somewhere in a box. Folds flat too, but this belies my original intent somewhat; to have a really compact and quick to use kit. It is an interesting thought though to be able to change out my full size filters in a jif and then stuff the whole arrangement in a pretty small and light bag.

    Grant
    If you are doing work where you or your clients are discerning at all, I think you'll steer clear of VNDs. To me, I hate matte boxes, they are such a PITA to use, especially with still lenses but YMMV. I only allow matte boxes on my camera when I have ACs to mess with them, I find them a nightmare.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.


    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
    #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Washington, the state.
    Posts
    3,631
    Default
    PD, you have missed the point of my interest in a VND. In this case, this isn't for paid work. I am talking a stealth rig, DSLR + monopod (or not) for travel. I like to have someway to record, but only want to carry a small bag or sling. We are talking light and stealth for nature or street photography. Even the cinetactics matte box I mentioned belies the stealth aspect as things like that tend to draw much more attention. Bad enough to take a full sized DSLR and point it at anything in public given how weird the world is presently. I have plenty enough gear for when I want a full rig for pro work.

    G


    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
    #14
    Senior Member puredrifting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles, Ca.
    Posts
    10,495
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrantly View Post
    PD, you have missed the point of my interest in a VND. In this case, this isn't for paid work. I am talking a stealth rig, DSLR + monopod (or not) for travel. I like to have someway to record, but only want to carry a small bag or sling. We are talking light and stealth for nature or street photography. Even the cinetactics matte box I mentioned belies the stealth aspect as things like that tend to draw much more attention. Bad enough to take a full sized DSLR and point it at anything in public given how weird the world is presently. I have plenty enough gear for when I want a full rig for pro work.

    G
    I still take 2-3 fixed NDs with me for travel. YMMV. If you have to go mininalist as possible, go for a VND.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.


    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
    #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Washington, the state.
    Posts
    3,631
    Default
    I'm starting to think two ND's which fit my most common travel lens: EF 24-70L f4 @ 77mm. I mean it is already a slow (but good) lens. If that doesn't cover it, then tough, it is just a travel kit. Retirement accounts are really overrated.

    Thanks for all the replies

    As I was thinking about this, a new question popped into my inquiring mind: My good quality PannyHandyCam PX270 has the typical built in ND. Has anyone ever compared the IQ between built-in ND and a top notch BW (multi-coated) ND? Not sure I even know how the in cam ND works.


    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
    #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    953
    Default
    Any thoughts on Moment's new VNDs?


    I've never been a fan of the aftermarket VNDs designed for DSLR/mirrorless cameras. But now I find myself considering getting one (or two, depending). I'm following some people in dire straits and by "following" I mean from out in the street to inside a building and then back out. Direct-cinema/verite stuff, and stopping down/up and/or adding and removing filters is getting in the way. And I'm in some rough neighborhoods.

    To keep a low profile, I'm not using a big camera with built-in NDs. In fact, most days I'm solo. I rented and used a Panasonic CX350, and that worked fairly well, but I'm not quite ready to commit to buying one and even that seemed to raise my profile a bit higher than I was comfortable with. So I'm using for now my Fujifilm X-T3 which I bought for stills and for fun. (My first jobs were working for a commercial photographer and stringing for a local paper; it's nice to get back into it). And all that means I'm at least considering VNDs.

    Have you all seen the ads for the new Moment variable ND filters? $150ish and they claim high quality (of course).
    https://www.shopmoment.com/variable-nd-filters

    There are some clever design features, and I want to believe, but the hype puts me off. They talk about how their filters are made from "Schott B270 Pro Cinema Glass," but when I search on that phrase, the closest I find is this:
    https://www.us.schott.com/advanced_o...0-i/index.html
    And that page says, "SCHOTT offers B 270® i crown glass in sheet glass form to meet a wide variety of market demands; it is especially suitable for biotech applications. SCHOTT manufactures B 270® i glass using a special up-draw process developed by SCHOTT." I know a little about glass and lab optics (from working in labs way way back when), so this is probably good stuff but not "Cinema Glass" and it feels weird of Moment to namedrop something that doesn't appear to be quite what they claim. Of course, maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

    And the flashy intro video... I don't know. Maybe I'm not the target market (something I'm slowly getting used to).


    Anyway, any thoughts about the Moment VNDs? Has anyone here already received one or both?
    ----------
    Jim Feeley
    POV Media


    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
    #17
    Senior Member DDirector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,660
    Default
    I have used a bunch of different VNDs and found them to be meh.
    The biggest thing, besides the colour shift and quality was if it had hard stops... This was so I would not get the X-Pattern.

    After several VNDs, I've ended on the SIMMOD VND + CPL

    It actually does produce a CPL effect, while others did not. You can adjust the amount of ND and amount of PL, which is awesome! a 2 in 1 filter basically.
    I recommend it.
    Michael Frymus
    Travel and Commercial Photographer & Videographer

    Instagram: @michaelfrymus
    Website: mfvisuals.ca



    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
    #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    549
    Default
    Hi Michael,

    Out of curiosity, which VNDs have you tried?


    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
    #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    109
    Default
    I'm really kind of surprised that there hasn't been an attachable electronic variable ND introduced by someone.


    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
    #20
    Senior Member Run&Gun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    4,195
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by markoconnell View Post
    I'm really kind of surprised that there hasn't been an attachable electronic variable ND introduced by someone.
    Panavision.

    https://youtu.be/POVfNDdru-8

    I thought I had seen someone else with a system, as well, but don’t remember who.


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •