Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Gweilo66 View Post
    How well goes a shooter telling a potential client:Shooting on Nikon Z.
    Is there any brand bias on DSLR-style shoots these days?

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Gweilo66 View Post
    How well goes a shooter telling a potential client:Shooting on Nikon Z.
    In my world, the kinds of clients who hire people to shoot where the only camera is a consumer DSLR/mirrorless are usually clueless and or don't care about any camera brands or models.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

3. Collapse Details
    I don't buy into the brand turf war stuff, what's a much more compelling argument to me is that a refurb Z6 by itself (or, not for nothing, a PCC4K) is literally half the price (and size!) of a refub Z6 + new Ninja V and one of the better compatible SSDs and other necessary accessories. I know it's a niche product and not a simple one, and I don't really blame Atomos, but the numbers are what they are. And this coming from a Nikon lover who thinks the Z6 is a great camera.

4. Collapse Details
    There are tests from users online claiming that Nikon is doing very nasty line-skipping with the external RAW, which turns these cameras into moire hell

5. Collapse Details
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel H View Post
    There are tests from users online claiming that Nikon is doing very nasty line-skipping with the external RAW, which turns these cameras into moire hell
    It really looks like the person doing the testing did not know what they were doing at all. They were using a consumer computer monitor to display the test pattern and interpolating the low-resolution image to represent the full 6K of the sensor. I would consider these tests to be completely bogus. ( real world footage shot by folks like Cinema5D shows none of these so called "artifacts" that these defective tests were showing )

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingo View Post
    It really looks like the person doing the testing did not know what they were doing at all. They were using a consumer computer monitor to display the test pattern and interpolating the low-resolution image to represent the full 6K of the sensor. I would consider these tests to be completely bogus. ( real world footage shot by folks like Cinema5D shows none of these so called "artifacts" that these defective tests were showing )
    Then thats taken as gospel and spreads like wildfire because of stupid social media. So many misinformed people in our business.
    The downside of "Anyone and everyone has a platform."
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

7. Collapse Details
    Oh my
    Let's wait for more discerning users to test the camera then...

8. Collapse Details
    I mean, it's a full-width UHD 4K output from a 6048-pixel-wide sensor, so we can be sure it's downsampled. I agree the methodology in that blog post isn't really good enough to tell us the *quality* of that downsampling (or whether there's also line-skipping).

9. Collapse Details
    I admit I don't know much about the setup with this camera but typically raw cannot be scaled. It either has to be cropped (windowed) or line skipped / pixel binned to make a large DSLR sensor 4k video resolution. Image scaling is image processing and there is no way to cleanly average surrounding pixels on a bayer sensor without first converting that bayer image to RGB values to actually average.

If the Nikon isn't handling raw video as a perfect 4k crop then there is really no other way to do but line skipping.

I'm honestly not sure why anybody would need a camera like this vs a cinema camera designed for raw video. If one shoots pro stills and somehow lives in a world that also requires raw video then buy two bodies. Trying to do both on the same camera will always compromise at least one of them if not both. Even if a camera someday handles both perfectly I find it way too annoying to gear up a single body for both kinds of work.

10. Collapse Details

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast