Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Nikon RAW Recording Over HDMI is Finally Here...

2. Collapse Details
    Saw that, pretty interesting. Wonder if external Prores RAW recording will come to a lot of other mirrorless and DSLR cameras after this and then the S1H?
    Generally on the boards, there is a LOT of hate and frustration for the Ninja V as far as it not recording HDMI output correctly, truncating the DR.
    I have the Shinobi and am generally satisfied with it but have not used the Ninja V more than once, where I didn't notice this issue.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    Saw that, pretty interesting. Wonder if external Prores RAW recording will come to a lot of other mirrorless and DSLR cameras after this and then the S1H?
    Generally on the boards, there is a LOT of hate and frustration for the Ninja V as far as it not recording HDMI output correctly, truncating the DR.
    I have the Shinobi and am generally satisfied with it but have not used the Ninja V more than once, where I didn't notice this issue.
    I don't get that frustration as my experience is Ninja V records correctly. What it does truncate is playback. But files are full range.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Zengze View Post
    I don't get that frustration as my experience is Ninja V records correctly. What it does truncate is playback. But files are full range.
    As someone who doesn't own a Ninja V, I find the whole issue vexing. I have heard so many versions of what people think and swear that the Ninja V is or isn't doing,
    I don't know what to think. I shoot with the Fujifilm XT-3 and the Ninja V is a popular outboard recorder since the XT-3 records H.265, which needs to be transcoded to
    Prores to make it edit friendly, so why not just shoot Prores?

But we've discovered that Fuji decided to make the XT-3 output REC601 color space, not REC709 and when the Ninja V
    records the 601 output, it truncates the whites and blacks, resulting in a massive downgrade in DR with blown out whites and ultra crushed blacks. Other claim there
    are LUTs out that compensate for this? But for me, I just use internal H.265 and edit with FCP X, which automatically converts everything to Prores anyway so I see
    zero need for an external recorder.
    Last edited by puredrifting; 12-17-2019 at 02:48 PM.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

5. Collapse Details
    If the D6 sensor is 6k (24mp), and the raw output is 4k, it has to be cropping the sensor.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Roper View Post
    If the D6 sensor is 6k (24mp), and the raw output is 4k, it has to be cropping the sensor.
    Or it does exactly what S1 and FX-9 do.

And here's some more footage.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    The quality looks superb, and it's incredible that we can now get such insane image quality out of such small and cheap options... I just don't get who's going to use it. Most mid-level productions shooting on proper professional cinema cameras can't afford to shoot raw. So how is anything (other than personal projects) shot on little mirrorless cameras going to be able to stretch their costs to accommodate the data?

Personally the stress of relying on such s*%tty cables and connections for external capture is probably going to keep me clear of it all. But I'd love to know the how and the who of who'll make use of this.

I wonder how long it is until we'll see these cameras able to record the raw video onboard to CFexpress cards? Can't be far off now.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Grug View Post
    The quality looks superb, and it's incredible that we can now get such insane image quality out of such small and cheap options...
    Agreed. It looks beautiful.

I just don't get who's going to use it. Most mid-level productions shooting on proper professional cinema cameras can't afford to shoot raw. So how is anything (other than personal projects) shot on little mirrorless cameras going to be able to stretch their costs to accommodate the data?

Personally the stress of relying on such s*%tty cables and connections for external capture is probably going to keep me clear of it all. But I'd love to know the how and the who of who'll make use of this.
    I assume it won't be professional productions, for the most part. Indie no-budget movies & music videos would be my guess.

I wonder how long it is until we'll see these cameras able to record the raw video onboard to CFexpress cards? Can't be far off now.
    The upcoming Canon 1DX Mark III is said to record internal raw to CFexpress cards. We'll see how that looks once it's out next year.
    Jaime VallÚs
    AJV Media
    Video, Photography & Graphic Design: www.ajvmedia.com

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Grug View Post
    The quality looks superb, and it's incredible that we can now get such insane image quality out of such small and cheap options... I just don't get who's going to use it. Most mid-level productions shooting on proper professional cinema cameras can't afford to shoot raw. So how is anything (other than personal projects) shot on little mirrorless cameras going to be able to stretch their costs to accommodate the data? ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaime Valles View Post
    ... I assume it won't be professional productions, for the most part. Indie no-budget movies & music videos would be my guess...
    In the "streaming" thread I posted off the LA Times article, there was a quick blurb about 271 streaming services already operating across the globe. Some are, obviously, extremely well funded; others are on a very low budget. And others are everything in between. The sheer volume of footage that is being generated would surpass all the cat videos combined.

As to the Z6 class cameras and Raw, I can see not only the independent low/no budget features and music videos but the higher quality corporate, popular YouTube channels, weddings, travel, landscape, architecture/real estate, product reviews, etc.

And insofar as the storage media go, costs there are plummeting too.

10. Collapse Details
    I guess if your camera package costs nothing, there’s more money to pay for storage.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast