Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by nyvz View Post
    Yeah my understanding is they are optically identical to Rokinon DS, which themselves aren't amazing, but at least you can get a 4-lens set for ~$1500 which is pretty cheap. You're really paying a lot for a lot of extra size and weight and the only benefits are mechanical.
    For work, one would need to travel with backup DS lenses. I’ve heard of internal lens elements coming loose inside and rattling about. So, for a peace-of-mind, the DS lens set might have to double?

Way back when, i thought the Xeen’s were said to be a new design and obviously more robust mechanics. Thought they at least had different lens coatings. Was that all marketing back then? Did i remember wrong?

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    Way back when, i thought the Xeen’s were said to be a new design and obviously more robust mechanics. Thought they at least had different lens coatings. Was that all marketing back then? Did i remember wrong?
    Same here. I didn't think they were optically exactly the same. If they indeed are just rehoused Rokinon Cine DS lenses and the only difference is how they operate mechanically, then you really can save a bundle by going with the regular Rokinons.

Has anyone done a comparison video of the Rokinons vs the Xeens?
    Jaime VallÚs
    AJV Media
    Video, Photography & Graphic Design: www.ajvmedia.com

3. Collapse Details
    The frustrating thing about the Rokinon Cine DS is that they all have 77mm filter rings except the 85mm and 100mm which have 72mm and 67mm. Granted, you can easily do without the 100mm, but the 85mm would be a popular size to build a collection of primes.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy_Dem View Post
    Hurlbut posted a recent test comparing the Xeen 20 mm to a Cooke, Canon CN-E and Leica R

PRIME LENS TEST - XEEN 20mm vs Cooke S4 21mm, Canon CN-E 24mm, Leica R 19mm
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7If4W9_0_8w
    If he did a recent test, I wonder why he didn't use the Canon CN-E 20mm to keep it all as close as possible.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    I saw these at a trade show, not really understanding what they were. Still liked them. Going to have to put them through the paces soon.

Thanks for bringing them to our attention!
    This is a bit old but here you go.

https://vimeo.com/johnbrawley/review...283/9d6d30c5d2

JB
    Cinematographer
    Sydney Australia
    www.johnbrawley.com
    I also have a blog

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details

I think the takeaway here is that lenses do matter, but just not as much as the DP culture and marketing from lens makers sometimes makes lenses out to matter. Excellent cinematography can be produced on Xeens, dreadful cinematography can be produced on Master Primes.

If I've said anything here you disagree with, find to be incorrect, or just think plainly stupid, do not hesitate to say so. I'm still learning some 3 decades into this and appreciate feedback from others. And I'm still struggling with my own lens lust. Somebody talk me down from buying another focal length Otus, please.
    Big sources matter.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    I agree 100%. I'm perfectly happy with my Canon EF lenses at the moment (16-35, 24-70 & 70-200 f/2.8, 28-300 f/3.5-5.6, 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 and 50 f/1.8) and see no reason to purchase anything else right now. In fact, I see autofocus technology improving by leaps and bounds in the coming years, so at this point I wouldn't buy any lens without built-in AF motors.

Sorry for taking the Xeen discussion off course!
    Jaime VallÚs
    AJV Media
    Video, Photography & Graphic Design: www.ajvmedia.com

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaime Valles View Post
    Sorry for taking the Xeen discussion off course!
    Xeens are the girl your mother wants you to marry. ( or would that more be CP.2's? )
    Big sources matter.

9. Collapse Details
    Whether they are the exact same optical design or not I think the important point here is that they are nearly the same and you are paying primarily for the mechanics. If you need the cine lens form factor and smoother more precise mechanics and markings and consistent lengths and fronts then they are a deal. If not they may just take up more space in your case (and wallet). Either you need that or you dont. Same is true for pretty much any cine lens under $10k. Nearly all low end cine primes are based on still lens designs or have still lens equivalents that are optically identical or nearly identical. CN-E primes are just L optics, CP.3/CP.2 are just ZF.2 optics, Sigma Cine are just Art optics, etc. I think maybe only the Tokina Vista lenses are new designs in that price range...
    Noah Yuan-Vogel
    http://www.noahyv.com

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    This is a bit old but here you go.

https://vimeo.com/johnbrawley/review...283/9d6d30c5d2

JB
    Oldie, but a goodie!

Thanks for sharing!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast