Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Lavs on Doctor Clothing
    Hey guys! I've been getting a lot of work lately in the medical industry and a lot of what I have been shooting is interview style videos for various doctors. I usually am filming one to two doctors at a time with three cameras and some stationary boom mics. I typically use one or both of my Sennheiser MKH 8040 cardioid mics as my main source of audio, but like to run wireless lavs as backup mics in case, well, something goes wrong at any point. Plus, I like to have the option to bleed lav audio in with the cardioids as sometimes that sounds really good to my ears.

My problem is that no matter how I hide my lav mics, I always get that dreaded scratchy clothing sound. I'm guessing it's because of how their clothes are typically made. I'm wanting to see if anyone here has suggestions on how I can work through that. I'd hate to have to give up completely on using lav mics during the interviews, especially since I'm a solo shooter without a sound guy. The extra sense of security I get from having a backup audio source is priceless when having to do everything! Do you guys have any suggestions for how I can resolve this issue?

Thanks in advance!

2. Collapse Details
    "I'm guessing it's because of how their clothes are typically made "
    - > Some material is more abrasive that others, but most sound folks can hide a mic effectively with most materials and have the mounting expendables on hand. For instance, the well known Rycote Stickys + Overcovers/Undercovers, Topstick, ecp, ect. I often put a white B6 on white jackets and shirts which disappear in plain site.
    I recommend purchasing Thomas Popp's Udemy video course "How To Put A Microphone On Talent". It is very comprehensive and well done.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    I agree with Rick, but to reinforce with two words, Rycote Overcovers. Not the only solution for noiseless lav placement but the simplest, easiest, fastest to rig IMHO. They have changed my life with lavalieres. The URSA foams are good too but there dozens of ways to skin this cat.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

4. Collapse Details
    The starched white doctor coats are extremely loud. If you are shooting people wearing those coats, I doubt it has anything to do with the clothing rubbing on the mic. It is probably just the clothing rubbing on itself.

You have a couple of options for hiding the mics. I would suggest the white foam hush mics placed in the fold on the front of the coat flap for mounting the mic. Then, I would take a bunch of Joe's sticky stuff and make sure the coat can't rub on itself or against the other clothing near the mic.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by cpreston View Post
    The starched white doctor coats are extremely loud. If you are shooting people wearing those coats, I doubt it has anything to do with the clothing rubbing on the mic. It is probably just the clothing rubbing on itself.
    Hey guys, thanks for the replies. What cpreston said here is more of what I am experiencing. I have Rycote Over and Undercovers, foam style mounts with Topstick, Hide-a-Mic B_Flex Silicone Concealers (which I really like for my COS-11Ds), along with other lav mounts, but no matter what I do, I pick up that noise. It doesn't happen with any other shoots I do, just doctors with their scratchy jackets/shirts. It's the material rubbing against itself that I believe I'm picking up that I don't know how to combat other than just sticking to overhead mics only.
    Last edited by Joshua Milligan; 12-09-2019 at 12:07 PM.

6. Collapse Details
    Unless a client demands it, I rarely use lavs for just that reason. Especially on sit down interviews with people in any type of uniform.

Really, the only option is to use snot tape or Joe's sticky stuff and stick all of the layers of clothing together so that it can't rub. You could use the topstick, but that has a tendency not to come off.

7. Collapse Details
    Pinmic.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Brown View Post
    Pinmic.
    I've looked at those, but read some sketchy reviews.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    I agree with Rick, but to reinforce with two words, Rycote Overcovers. Not the only solution for noiseless lav placement but the simplest, easiest, fastest to rig IMHO. They have changed my life with lavalieres. The URSA foams are good too but there dozens of ways to skin this cat.
    Drift, please make a video about how you are using the overcovers. I had no success this weekend using them. I wish I took pictures to show placement. I had 3 talent. I put one lav in the women's cleavage, which worked well. One woman had a tight top on with no cleavage so I put it in a fold (sort of a cloth cave) of her hoodie. With the overcover it was nothing but rustling noise. Without it, it worked pretty good. The man had a tank top and stuffed nylon jacket. The only place I could put it was under the collar of the jacket. It was the same thing; with the over cover, lots of rustling. Without it, I had issues, but it was much better.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
    Drift, please make a video about how you are using the overcovers. I had no success this weekend using them. I wish I took pictures to show placement. I had 3 talent. I put one lav in the women's cleavage, which worked well. One woman had a tight top on with no cleavage so I put it in a fold (sort of a cloth cave) of her hoodie. With the overcover it was nothing but rustling noise. Without it, it worked pretty good. The man had a tank top and stuffed nylon jacket. The only place I could put it was under the collar of the jacket. It was the same thing; with the over cover, lots of rustling. Without it, I had issues, but it was much better.
    That's strange. My first and last resort is always the overcover. I buy the Rycote round stickes and sandwich the mic between the stickie and the overcover. Then I just stick the mic in the best location that isn't noticeable. The thing about the overcovers is that they cause the least amount of transmitted sound when a piece of clothing rubs across them of any mounting method that I have seen. That is why I am not sure why you would be getting more noise rather than less. Make sure you aren't trying to use the undercovers. Those are less than useless.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast