Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I need to mount a camera underneath a helicopter
    My client's product lives on the underside of helicopters and I need to capture footage of the product in the air. 4K is preferred and manual exposure adjustment is important, but it doesn't need to be a big sensor or capturing raw. I haven't used any of the latest GoPros (looks like they are on the 8 now). Is the stabilization enough to get rid of the vibrations? Or would a global shutter camera on a 10" suction mount still a safer bet? Or, one of the KenLabs gyros? It seems like there are a lot of ways to approach this in 2019. I'd appreciate your ideas.

2. Collapse Details
    Helicopter shot at 00:30 is pretty compelling: https://youtu.be/TOuF7ZbcCUs

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickHitRecord View Post
    My client's product lives on the underside of helicopters and I need to capture footage of the product in the air. 4K is preferred and manual exposure adjustment is important, but it doesn't need to be a big sensor or capturing raw. I haven't used any of the latest GoPros (looks like they are on the 8 now). Is the stabilization enough to get rid of the vibrations? Or would a global shutter camera on a 10" suction mount still a safer bet? Or, one of the KenLabs gyros? It seems like there are a lot of ways to approach this in 2019. I'd appreciate your ideas.
    There are FAA restrictions / rules on external camera mounts and beyond that you want to make certain you really know what you are doing because a screw up could be catastrophic and result in death. Were it me, I'd locate and hire someone with extensive experience in mounting cameras on aircraft. Or I'd simply tell the client that I don't do this sort of work and hook them up with someone who does. That's what I do when a client wants drone work. Sorry, not my bag, here's someone for you whose bag it is.
    Big sources matter.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    What you're saying does make a lot of sense. Nothing that I would rig up would be without redundancies and safety cables. But maybe I should take any ideas of a cinema camera off of the menu. A smaller action camera like one of these new GoPros might do the trick, if it doesn't vibrate too much. We would be flying over farmland so it would not densely populated at all.

5. Collapse Details
    I'd tend to agree that anything beyond a GoPro/action cam and you'd be running into specialized rigging and FAA rules and regulations. The VR on the newest GoPros(7 & 8) is pretty damn good. And I'd still put safety cables on the GoPro's. Falling from altitude, even something as small and lightweight as a GoPro can do serious damage.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickHitRecord View Post
    What you're saying does make a lot of sense. Nothing that I would rig up would be without redundancies and safety cables. But maybe I should take any ideas of a cinema camera off of the menu. A smaller action camera like one of these new GoPros might do the trick, if it doesn't vibrate too much. We would be flying over farmland so it would not densely populated at all.
    The danger is less that the camera detaches and strikes someone on the ground and more that the camera detaches and goes into the tail rotor causing the helicopter to crash. Were it me I'd want nothing to do with mounting any cameras, even a GoPro, on the exterior of any aircraft. Especially not without first having watched in person someone experienced do it and seen how they go about it.

I can imagine someone rolling their eyes at this and thinking "it's just a lil' GoPro! No big deal!". But we are potentially talking about peoples lives here.

Just a reminder of how insanely violent helo crashes can be...

Big sources matter.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Well, when you put it like that...

Gave me chills just watching that. Point well taken. I guess I'd better green screen this or something.

Thanks for sharing.

8. Collapse Details
    Start at 3:00 and you'll see that it can be done, at least for airplanes if you know what you are doing. So don't do it as already advised. Everything you do to an aircraft is an FAA issue. It would be incredibly stupid and irresponsible to do anything on the outside of an aircraft without knowing the rules and getting experts involved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgScbgipLcE

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by JPNola View Post
    The danger is less that the camera detaches and strikes someone on the ground and more that the camera detaches and goes into the tail rotor causing the helicopter to crash. Were it me I'd want nothing to do with mounting any cameras, even a GoPro, on the exterior of any aircraft. Especially not without first having watched in person someone experienced do it and seen how they go about it.

I can imagine someone rolling their eyes at this and thinking "it's just a lil' GoPro! No big deal!". But we are potentially talking about peoples lives here.

Just a reminder of how insanely violent helo crashes can be...

Just plain outright f u c k i n g amazing that no one was hurt, maimed or killed at that incredibly close proximity. After the adrenaline wore off and they actually thought about it, everyone of those guys on the ground probably threw-up.

10. Collapse Details
    A couple of references. You want the A&P mechanic in charge of maintenance to sign off on whatever you do. The pilot of course too since that’s who final authority rests with for the flight.

https://flightflix.net/faa-camera-mount-guide/

https://mypilotpro.com/product/helicopter-gopro-mount/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast