Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    S1H: orangey reds?
    is it just me and my calibrated monitors, or does the S1H produce RED with a lean toward orange, just like my GH4 does?
    Is that what Alexa does?
    Just curious. I been watching videos and seems like other cameras are truer red than S1H.
    On various monitors and laptops, not just my calibrated monitors.
    Not calling it BAD, just wonder if my eyes need fixed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJawO5eeWr8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFoUYlW3d-8

2. Collapse Details
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by wwjd View Post
    I been watching videos and seems like other cameras are truer red than S1H.
    I remember similar comments when the GH5 first came out, and when I bought my own GH5 I found that everything had to do with how the footage was handled in post. I am not a fan of GH5 footage straight out of the camera ( often a little too yellow or green ), but it takes all of about 10 seconds in post to tune GH5 footage to produce gorgeous color.

I see this as a problem where you have people who do not know how to properly color correct in post, so they go with the default color straight out of the camera and often it's bad.

3. Collapse Details
    My GH5 and GH5S have the red issue . Not straightforward to correct all the time as an example an actor walking from one side of stage ( where colour is correct) through the middle where red turns orange and back to red at the other side of stage. For comparison in the same scene the Sony AX100 maintains the same red throughout the stage. So it is camera specific issue to the Panasonic's. WB was set to be the same for all cameras too. If I shoot Vlog it is less pronounced and easier to correct. 8bit 709L is very difficult to correct in that situation. I have created luts to do the base correction that usually needs minor corrections especially as most stage lighting now is LED so setting a fixed white balance is difficult as that changes going across the stage for instance.

4. Collapse Details
    The only way to make a good call is to take a look at the out of camera high dynamic range footage.

On YouTube, you never know what they did to possibly muck up their footage.
    Before you know it their throw in some gee-whiz 'best-since-sliced-bread' all-in-one 'magic' LUT that completely messes up your original and natural colors.

5. Collapse Details
    two different videos above ended up similar prompting my question for S1H owners.
    Can't say orangey reds are a deal breaker, just something of note.

6. Collapse Details
    Does Panasonic have any kind of picture style software where you can make a custom look for the camera?

The first video is not really a good comparison as who knows what it is supposed to look like. The second video is showing some reds as orangy, but you would need to have the fabrics there to see in real life. Some other in the footage looked deep magenta, so tough to know what is right.
    Last edited by Bassman2003; 12-05-2019 at 07:15 AM.

7. Collapse Details
    I just made a few LUT's in Resolve so that they can be used in any NLE like EDIUS or Vegas. In EDIUS I just use on the clips that have the problem of red looking orange or not a really deep red that the Sony's can deliver. It is the consistency within a clip that causes the real problem when the colour changes within a scene. Resolve is the winner there in being able to track if necessary. Be interesting if the CX350 has a similar problem. Maybe you can comment on the CX350 response to deep reds like old British Post Office red on letter boxes ,telephone kiosks or typical robes of kings etc.

8. Collapse Details
    The CX350 seems to be fine on reds, but it has a color matrix. You can dial in anything you want so to speak. I have not heard of anything that allows one to adjust the Panny mirrorless cameras. Although I have not searched either.

9. Collapse Details
    GH4 has this white balance color adjuster shifter thingy that almost no one ever mentions. I can see what it does, just don't know how to adjust it, and lack testing gear, tools, knowledge to do it right. I played with it abit, but still could not remove the orange push in the solid reds on my GH4.

I imagine the S1H has something similar? I don't own S1H

GH4P1020482-600x400.jpg

10. Collapse Details
    That tool can help but it is quite a blunt instrument.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast