Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Gross View Post
    Zero everything out and unlock.
    +1

2. Collapse Details
    The generally accepted wisdom I learned was to turn everything off, however a sachtler repair man explained to me why that was wrong and why Paul F's post from Sachtler is correct. Apparently the springs that are used both to set the spring tension and the pan and tilt dampening strength are most compressed at "0". As you raise the numbers they are opened. Hence they will last longer and be under less pressure at what looks like maximum load but in reality is the opposite. I don't know what the actual construction looks like but I'm not going to argue both with my Sachtler authorized repairman and the official Sachtler recommendations. Locks should be off though.

3. Collapse Details
    I've always opened all locks and turned to max dampening on all of my Sachtler heads I've owned and I'll continue to do so.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by LennyLevy View Post
    The generally accepted wisdom I learned was to turn everything off, however a sachtler repair man explained to me why that was wrong and why Paul F's post from Sachtler is correct. Apparently the springs that are used both to set the spring tension and the pan and tilt dampening strength are most compressed at "0". As you raise the numbers they are opened. Hence they will last longer and be under less pressure at what looks like maximum load but in reality is the opposite. I don't know what the actual construction looks like but I'm not going to argue both with my Sachtler authorized repairman and the official Sachtler recommendations. Locks should be off though.
    I was told the same thing by a former Vitec/Sachtler salesman.

5. Collapse Details
    Exactly. Super loose all over. I know of one case of a Miller tripod where Qantas had obviously piled other heavy baggage on top of the soft padded tripod case and obviously a lot of pressure had been put onto the pan handle. The handle was locked in the downward position parallel to the legs. The pressure was sufficient to snap the rosette part of the metal casting clean out of the top of the tripod head. The owner showed me a pan bar with a jagged bit of metal casting screwed neatly to it. Yes all loose indeed.

Chris Young

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by cyvideo View Post
    Exactly. Super loose all over. I know of one case of a Miller tripod where Qantas had obviously piled other heavy baggage on top of the soft padded tripod case and obviously a lot of pressure had been put onto the pan handle. The handle was locked in the downward position parallel to the legs. The pressure was sufficient to snap the rosette part of the metal casting clean out of the top of the tripod head. The owner showed me a pan bar with a jagged bit of metal casting screwed neatly to it. Yes all loose indeed.

Chris Young
    The Sachtler sales rep I mentioned above also told me to detach the handle(s) from the video head when transporting the tripod in a bag, which I do.
    Last edited by nutmegger; 12-08-2019 at 05:49 AM.

7. Collapse Details
    +1. Totally agree!

Chris Young

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by JPNola View Post
    Personally, I think this is like discussion of how long you should wait to go into the pool after eating.
    Minimum 20 minutes, longer if you've scoffed like Andy Ruiz Jr at an all-you-can-eat buffet.
    New Website: www.liamhall.net
    TWITTER: @FilmLiam
    INSTAGRAM: @picsbyliam

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by LennyLevy View Post
    Do you think that depends per manufacturer about how the springs are implemented or is that the general application?

Do you think Benro, would use the same approach on how the counter springs are applied on their S8 or S6 series fluid heads?

10. Collapse Details
    Those are good questions. When in doubt, ask the manufacturer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12