Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Best way to store your fluid head - tension loose, counter balance max, locked?
    What is the best way to store your fluid head tripod for mid to long term storage or even storage in general?

Do you lock all movements and put the tension to loose or hard, counterbalance max or minimum?

2. Collapse Details
    Just storing, it doesn't really matter. If traveling / shipping, everything full loose. Pan friction, pan lock, tilt friction, tilt lock- all full OFF.

The idea is that there is less chance of damage from impact if things are all loosey-goosey.
    Big sources matter.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by JPNola View Post
    Just storing, it doesn't really matter. If traveling / shipping, everything full loose. Pan friction, pan lock, tilt friction, tilt lock- all full OFF.

The idea is that there is less chance of damage from impact if things are all loosey-goosey.
    Interesting. Need to go re-read my Sachtler manual then. Cause I'm 99% sure that when traveling with it - mfg recommends turning the friction on pan/tilt to it's highest setting "7" (but leaving locks off)

4. Collapse Details
    On my Vintens I always dial the drag back down and make sure the locks are off. Counterbalance I leave as-is, because it’s a pita to adjust that much. One of my clients has all Sachtler heads and they always transport them in the shipping tubes with everything at zero and locks off. Vinten actually says to leave the drag as-is after shooting, but like JP said, I don’t want it “fighting” something if it gets hung against something or hit during transport. As far as long term storage, I don’t know, but I’d at least dial the counterbalance back to zero. It may not be good for the counterbalance spring/mechanism to remain under constant high tension if it’s not being used. Heck, in a long term storage situation(1yr+), I’d probably just put everything at zero, off or it’s lowest setting.

5. Collapse Details
    Zero everything out and unlock.
    Mitch Gross
    Cinema Product Manager
    Panasonic System Solutions Company

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    Sachtler says:

3.8 Transport setting of damping, counterbalance and brakes

To ensure smooth operation of the setting rings for the damping over the long life time period of the fluid head, you should turn both setting rings from position “0” to maximum position, before and after the use of the fluid head.Setting during transportation: the most important issue is to open both brakes - horizontal and vertical. Counterbalance and damping should be set to maximum position.
    Last edited by Paul F; 12-02-2019 at 09:38 PM.

7. Collapse Details
    ^ Thanks Paul - that's what I remember from buying my Sachtler Cine 7+7 head last year. It surprised me - coming up in the ENG world, I was always told to put everything at it's lowest setting with brakes off.

8. Collapse Details
    Would you apply lock off in general for other heads for example, ball heads with the ball and pan features?

9. Collapse Details
    Without guidance from the manufacturer, that's the safest bet.

10. Collapse Details
    relevant thread:

https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-...transport.html

Personally, I think this is like discussion of how long you should wait to go into the pool after eating. Pretty rare, I would think, that any tripod head suffers damage because of how it was set at the time. Typically the damage would have occurred regardless. I guess a good question here is: If you purchased a tripod new, how was it set by the manufacturer when you received it? Were the pan drag and tilt drag set to max or set to zero? I've only ever bought pre-owned tripods.
    Big sources matter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast