Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman2003 View Post
    It is conflicting. Panasonic has a few ~$3,000 UHD cameras on the market and this made me think they could go more pro with the CX350. But, they did not leave the ~$3,500 price point which leads me to believe they see demand as weak for "pro" level handycam style cameras. So there is a price window for the demand. If the CX350 had more to push it to $5,000 like the PX270 would it be as popular? (as Mitch states).

My statement was not about the handycam design but more about higher end handycams. I don't consider $3,500 to be "high end".
    Is your measure of quality based strictly on price? The CX350 is about half the price of cameras that try to compete with it from some other major brands. Would you be happier if we just bumped up the price? Feel free to send me a check.
    Mitch Gross
    Cinema Product Manager
    Panasonic System Solutions Company

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Kind of snarky Mitch.

My measure of quality is buying, owning and using cameras. What separates a $1,000 camera from a $10,000 camera from a $30,000 camera? Intangible isn't it? But in my experience, camera makers price their products based upon what they put into them - which usually falls along the lines of better image and audio quality along with some features.

My PX270 cost $5,600 and it felt like the camera had nothing held back in terms of quality (image, audio, options etc...). The CX350 has a lot to offer but it does not have that feel. Or in my estimation it would cost ~$5,000 as well. It is a great value no doubt though. In my usage the highlights seem a bit strained, the audio is a little thin and the rear zoom controller situation has not been good at all. My point is, it may be less expensive but in this industry, you always get what you pay for. I would prefer to pay more and get more.
    Last edited by Bassman2003; 12-15-2019 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Can't type!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Hey All,

Thank you Mitch Gross for monitoring this forum, it's reassuring to know we have a pipeline to Panny for questions. Is Jan Crittenden still there?

Well, that's reassuring to know Barry is not an employee of Panny, his opinion, which I always respect, is why I just bought the CX350 and I later felt funny about it when I saw him in the Panny polo shirt, but I had to buy something 4K immediately.

So presently I'm in AZ for the week (great for a Chicagoan) on a shoot and I see on my Ring Doorbell video the CX350 package from B&H arrived and wow, it is a small box! I figured maybe these are the accessories and the camera is backordered but, no, this camera is in the box so it is really small! I'll start playing around with it and learn 4K, my next gig is in January so I have some time.

That next job will raise a challenging situation regarding file size and speed of edit, i'll create a post soon, but in a nutshell: I will be at a big trade show in Atlanta, I'll be hiring a local editor who will be (hopefully) set up in the media room of the convention center, I will be brought to maybe a dozen exhibitors each day to do a quick 60-120 demo of whatever they're selling, a PA races my cards to the editor, and by end-of-day these "snackable" videos are to be loaded onto the web. I figure if I shoot in 4K the editor can punch into the person's hands thus making the editing easier, right? Is that not the purpose of 4K? What do you think? Will the file sizes be so huge it will slow the editor down? The final deliverable will be just 1080. Or should I do it Old School, what I call This Old House Shooting, where I just flow with the action? Whacha think? This client likes to do it in one take and move on. My competition is iPhone shooters so I can't be too slow in getting "breaking news" onto the net because they are to drive traffic to these booths. Or maybe I shouldn't try 4K my first time out on a hyper speed gig with the CX350?

Thanks,

Ned
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ned Miller
    Chicago-based Freelance Videographer
    www.nedmiller.com

4. Collapse Details
    The file sizes are not too bad, especially if you shoot long GOP. I would speak with the editor and make sure they will have a decent computer onsite. But one stream should be no problem for any recent NLE. I got a 170MBps Sandisk 128GB SD card from B&H for 4k recording at a nice price. ($40)

5. Collapse Details
    Jan is happily retired.
    Mitch Gross
    Cinema Product Manager

6. Collapse Details
    I just did my unboxing a couple of hours ago, there were 3 packages, that's why the first one delivered freaked me out as looking way small. I just put in my preferences and started playing around with it working on the ergonomics and settings rather than the imagery which will take a deeper dive and more time.

As I picked it up the first time I realized that the handle with the zoom doesn't rotate. Reminiscent of the my Sony Z1U and DVX100 and I was a bit concerned thinking this would be a PITA holding it out in front of me all day but then my inner McGyver came out. When I had the AF100 I had a custom made rotatable wooden grip made (also had a rec button in it). But now I have a Frankenrig for the C100 which has a rotatable handle and the 350 sits nice on that. I may get the Zacuto eyepiece for it. So you can probably find a broken Canon C100 handle on Ebay or CL and put that on a rod (using the Zacuto adapter) and then you're in business. Here's a photo of what I mean. When I sell the C100 I'll be SOL and need to find something else for this handle solution. I thought I looked through all the 350 threads, I don't remember seeing any where people showed their configurations. I mainly need this set up for my Lectro radio mic receiver and an Anton Bauer mount to power everything.

The other quick impressions that concern me are there is no way to snap zoom. I only need that when I am doing something where a fraction of a second counts or I will blow the shot, such as wildlife, sports, newsy shoots and little rug rats. Perhaps I can use the focus asst to replace the snap zoom in for focusing?

I'm also very used to rolling in my ISO to what I desire, to play with DOF and more, but fast scanning through the menus I don't see it here.

Otherwise I am impressed with the CX350 and will ask you folks for some settings and profiles you made, especially for green screen. Is Barry's book in print form?

Later,

Ned
    Ned Miller
    www.nedmiller.com

7. Collapse Details
    If you want Barry's book in print form you'll need to visit your local Kinkos. Download version only.
    Mitch Gross
    Cinema Product Manager

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by nedcam View Post
    I just did my unboxing a couple of hours ago, there were 3 packages, that's why the first one delivered freaked me out as looking way small. I just put in my preferences and started playing around with it working on the ergonomics and settings rather than the imagery which will take a deeper dive and more time.

As I picked it up the first time I realized that the handle with the zoom doesn't rotate. Reminiscent of the my Sony Z1U and DVX100 and I was a bit concerned thinking this would be a PITA holding it out in front of me all day but then my inner McGyver came out. When I had the AF100 I had a custom made rotatable wooden grip made (also had a rec button in it). But now I have a Frankenrig for the C100 which has a rotatable handle and the 350 sits nice on that. I may get the Zacuto eyepiece for it. So you can probably find a broken Canon C100 handle on Ebay or CL and put that on a rod (using the Zacuto adapter) and then you're in business. Here's a photo of what I mean. When I sell the C100 I'll be SOL and need to find something else for this handle solution. I thought I looked through all the 350 threads, I don't remember seeing any where people showed their configurations. I mainly need this set up for my Lectro radio mic receiver and an Anton Bauer mount to power everything.

The other quick impressions that concern me are there is no way to snap zoom. I only need that when I am doing something where a fraction of a second counts or I will blow the shot, such as wildlife, sports, newsy shoots and little rug rats. Perhaps I can use the focus asst to replace the snap zoom in for focusing?

I'm also very used to rolling in my ISO to what I desire, to play with DOF and more, but fast scanning through the menus I don't see it here.

Otherwise I am impressed with the CX350 and will ask you folks for some settings and profiles you made, especially for green screen. Is Barry's book in print form?

Later,

Ned

I kept my Zacuto shoulder rig when I sold my C100 and adapted it for my CX350. When shooting on a tripod I slide the camera back on the shoulder rig to keep it compact. Also, when shooting long interviews I mount my Ninja Blade on the Uni-Loc quick release. I find the CX350's LCD monitor to be a bit small and use the Blade for framing, focus, and exposure. When I'm going to shoot on the on the shoulder, I slide the camera forward. It only takes a few seconds to do this with the Zacuto rig. The first photo is the camera rig as it would be on the tripod minus the Blade. The second photo is the rig as it would be on my shoulder.

9. Collapse Details
    Nice set up!

What boom is that?

I just bought a used Zacuto Z Finder EVF for it on Ebay for $120, which is a $308 savings over new. I wanted to use my Small HD DP4 on my rig as an EVF but as Barry's book says, some monitors won't work with the 350's HDMI output, so that will be on Ebay shortly. I do have the latest Ikan 7" monitor coming and that will be on an Israeli arm, but indoors I usually position it on a stand so a seated interviewer/client can see what I'm doing.

Why such a big cam light? What are you shooting that you need that much for?

So, like me you're coming from a C100, what do you like and don't like in the CX350? What's the main differences? How hard is it to throw the background soft compared to the C100? I'm so tired of shooting with still lenses that I am constantly swapping. I often hire someone just to carry my lens bag and pass me lenses, like my 16mm days. I would wear lens pouches on my belt. I see this more as replacing my ENG camera, the HPX370, which I loved but it won't do 4K plus it can't give a shallow DOF which most clients want for interviews. I will miss the macro function on the Fuji zoom where I could give a faux full frame DOF in extreme close ups, like fingers on keyboards, etc. I have only spent two hours with it and won't be able to touch it for a week, so I'm reading all the literature.

Since I am mainly retired, this will be used for the few corporate clients I service and some charities I produce for. Also, when traveling I will submit 4K scenic work to Pond5 and the like to write off my travels, that's the main reason I wanted 4K. I don't see me doing 10 hour handheld days anymore, I need the rig to hold all the accessories, but the charities tend to be all doc style handheld so I need shoulder mounting.

Best,

Ned
    Ned Miller
    www.nedmiller.com

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by nedcam View Post
    Nice set up!

• What boom is that?

--My wireless audio system consists of an older Sennheiser EW500 kit. The shotgun mic is a Sennheiser ME66/K6p. I also use a Sennheiser MD46 handheld mic when necessary. The good thing about this Sennheiser kit is it operates in the 518-560MHz range so it is not affected by the FCC frequency selloff.

• I just bought a used Zacuto Z Finder EVF for it on Ebay for $120, which is a $308 savings over new. I wanted to use my Small HD DP4 on my rig as an EVF but as Barry's book says, some monitors won't work with the 350's HDMI output, so that will be on Ebay shortly. I do have the latest Ikan 7" monitor coming and that will be on an Israeli arm, but indoors I usually position it on a stand so a seated interviewer/client can see what I'm doing.

• Why such a big cam light? What are you shooting that you need that much for?

--The light is an older Fiilex P180 COB LED. It is rated for 40w. I shoot a lot of outdoor automotive events during the summer and need a strong light when shooting a car's engine bay that is in deep shadow when the hood is up. I once mentioned to a Fiilex rep that it would be nice if they made a more compact version of this light.

• So, like me you're coming from a C100, what do you like and don't like in the CX350? What's the main differences? How hard is it to throw the background soft compared to the C100? I'm so tired of shooting with still lenses that I am constantly swapping. I often hire someone just to carry my lens bag and pass me lenses, like my 16mm days. I would wear lens pouches on my belt. I see this more as replacing my ENG camera, the HPX370, which I loved but it won't do 4K plus it can't give a shallow DOF which most clients want for interviews. I will miss the macro function on the Fuji zoom where I could give a faux full frame DOF in extreme close ups, like fingers on keyboards, etc. I have only spent two hours with it and won't be able to touch it for a week, so I'm reading all the literature.

--When I had the C100 I found it was a PITA to shoot with still camera zooms. I could not afford cinema zooms. Also, the form factor of C100 was not that convenient to use.

--These are the issues I found with the CX350 that I conveyed to a Panasonic rep from Japan at NAB NY this past fall.
    1) Auto Focus: Auto focus is slow at times and inconsistent. I normally have the camera set to manual focus. When I use the "Push Auto" function button, the camera often remains in the auto focus mode for 4-5 seconds after releasing the button. On the UX90, the camera immediately returns to manual focus when releasing the Push Auto button.

2) Focus Assist: Currently Focus Assist gives you the choice of enlarged display or peaking, but not both. I would like to see both enlarged display and peaking enabled at the same time by the Focus Assist. I currently have Focus Assist set for enlargement and button 4, the A. Iris Level button, mapped for peaking.

3) Wave Form Monitor: The WFM is my preferred choice for setting exposure. It is too small to be useful as currently displayed. Hopefully, the WFM can be enlarged in a future firmware update. This is where the Ninja Blade comes in handy.

4) Zebras: Has anyone noticed when Zebras is enabled there is no icon displayed on the LCD to indicate Zebras is turned on? Please add an icon to indicate Zebras is enabled.

5) Many of the older Varizoom Panasonic LANC remote controllers do not work with the CX350. I would like to see Panasonic work with Varizoom and other remote LANC controller manufacturers to develop a LANC controller that is compatible with the CX350.

6) LCD Screen: This cannot be fixed via firmware. The 3.2" LCD screen is too small for this camera. The LCD screen size used on the UX90 would have been a more appropriate size. Occasionally, when doing an interview I use my Ninja Blade as an external monitor for framing, manual focus, and determining depth of field.

Also, be aware that this camera's lens iris ramps (f2.8-4.5) when zooming. My C100 lenses where all constant aperture lenses. Recently I shot a choral group (30 singers) in a church with the CX350. I set the camera's exposure iris for "open" when zoomed wide. When zoomed in tight on a solo performer the change in exposure was noticeable. In the future I will try to set the camera exposure iris to around f4 if there is zooming to keep the ramping to a minimum.

Otherwise, I'm satisfied with this camera.
    -----------------

Since I am mainly retired, this will be used for the few corporate clients I service and some charities I produce for. Also, when traveling I will submit 4K scenic work to Pond5 and the like to write off my travels, that's the main reason I wanted 4K. I don't see me doing 10 hour handheld days anymore, I need the rig to hold all the accessories, but the charities tend to be all doc style handheld so I need shoulder mounting.

Best,

Ned
    Ned, hope the above answers some of your questions. Compared to Canon's XF705, the CX350 is a much better value.
    Bill
    Last edited by nutmegger; 12-09-2019 at 11:23 AM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast