Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    The Star Wars Prequels
    I just took some time to re watch the Star Wars Prequels.

I watched because i wanted to see how the story telling or entertainment value aged. What surprised me, was that i liked the video look over the Anamorphic film look of episode 1.

2. Collapse Details
    There was only one scene, that i think the Sony video cameras lacked in, and that was the romantic day exteriors in Episode 2.

3. Collapse Details
    The audio and visual were more entertaining than the originals.

Edit because i initially said “Overall, the prequels are more entertaining than the originals.” Which is not true.”overall” is too vague and subjective. Too many factors. Watching the prequels on OLED, the colours are so vibrant, and the pacing and worlds are huge in the prequels because everything is CGI. Obi Wan rides a big lizard. What would a psychologists say? And the sound design was very good in the prequels. The music had huge scope from romantic to intense.

The pod race scene holds up pretty well, especially compared to the forest bikers in the originals. The pod racing scene is probably the most underrated “car chase” sort of scene in cinema. Feels expertly paced. And the sensation of speed is fantastic. Still works.
    Last edited by James0b57; 12-01-2019 at 11:16 PM.

4. Collapse Details
    when the prequels came out, it looked like bad sfx and clean soap opera digital....

Now clean digital is normal, and even preferred. I did a camera test, and a director friend complained about noise at iso 12,800.

And now that the movie is “old”, i am willing to overlook imperfections in the CGI that i was critical of at the time.

So, what is left is a fast moving color fest. And while verging on cartoony, i am ok with that.
    Last edited by James0b57; 12-01-2019 at 12:07 AM.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    Overall, the prequels are more entertaining than the originals.
    Now I'm not a fanboy but I was brought up on them and I'm waiting to see the fanboys take on your statement!

6. Collapse Details
    I like Star Wars but I don’t think I’m enthusiastic enough to consider myself a fanboy, but I’ve always found the prequels terrible. I rewatched a couple years ago and just thought it looked like an amateur high school production with too much budget. Weird camera angles that look like video, not cinema. Tons of lame lighting choices. Awful acting. And mostly boring execution.

Now, the story itself is masterful. That’s always where Lucas shined IMO. I mean, the story skeleton itself is just fantastic. The screenplay and execution ruins it. I would have loved to see what the prequels would have been in the hands of a different team, with Lucas on story and world advisory.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    What do you mean the anamorphic film look of episode 1? Do you mean episode 4? Episode 1 is a prequel. Personally, I love the anamorphic film look of that film. It's epic and gritty.

Generally, I think the prequels are pretty but I'm not a fan of the smooth and shiny CGI spaceships. Give me the miniature models of the original trilogy any day.

I agree that the screenplay and execution of the prequels suck. Lucas is a great story writer. That's part of the reason the Empire Strikes Back is the best film - he wrote the story but not the screenplay and he didn't direct. He co-wrote the screenplay for Return of the Jedi. And he wrote and directed a New Hope. He should have stuck to just writing the stories.

But I think the new trilogy is garbage. I was so mad after I saw the Force Awakens. It was a fricking remake of a New Hope! Exact same arc (desert planet nobody finds out she has inherited mystical powers and signs up to destroy a death star.) Disney cash grab. Abrams wrecked the storyline to reunite the favorite characters and spaceships of the originals instead of advancing the story organically. And they ruined Han and Leia's happily-ever-after for me! That was an important part of my childhood! It also made me appreciate how even though the prequels were bad, at least they created new worlds and spaceships, which was a Lucas theme for every movie.

So after I saw Force Awakens I decided not to see any more of the new trilogy because I have more to lose than to gain. And I'm a dyed in the wool fanboy. But I saw Solo and I want to see Rogue One and the Mandalorian because I don't think they'll ruin the originals for me like Force Awakens did.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    The prequels are a reprehensible crime against cinema.

As for Lucas's genius, and the shiny vs gritty look, and why the prequels suck so very badly in every imaginable way vs the belovedness of the original trilogy, there's an utterly fascinating website that discusses the complexity and layering that Lucas attempted to bring out, called Star Wars Ring Theory. If you take the time to read through all that, you will gain a new appreciation of the genius behind the mad genius, the extents he went to to make his two trilogies, why The Force Awakens was always destined to be a clone of Episode IV, and why we hate the prequels so very much (hint -- it's precisely because we love the original trilogy, that we are supposed to hate the prequel trilogy...)

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    My life would have remained perfectly liveable without ever having known about Jar Jar Binks
    Pudgy bearded camera guy
    http://mcbob.tv

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    What do you mean the anamorphic film look of episode 1? Do you mean episode 4? Episode 1 is a prequel. Personally, I love the anamorphic film look of that film. It's epic and gritty.
    Watch EP1

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast