Thread: Jib on a dolly

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    also with an offsize track you cant rent a heap of (grown up) track when u need to

2. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography
    You can always scissor conventional track to a narrower width if required.
    Charles Papert
    charlespapert.com

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Coughlin View Post
    Rob, why would it need to be without track? PVC or angled rods can take plenty of weight. I guess you're just saying you wouldn't want to mount 150 lbs of weight to say Matthew's slider stands. But no, I'd imagine putting PVC or angled rods on the ground and mounting from there. I suppose you could mount on apple boxes as they can take plenty of weight.
    I mean if the surface is smooth why lay track down at all instead of using the dutti dolly wheels directly on the ground?

4. Collapse Details
    Skate size wheels are literally thrown by a chip of sand. Id only consider track free on 8in wheels?

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesPapert View Post
    I own the original version of the flextrack concept which was marketed by Losmandy along with their Spider dolly with articulating arms. Bought it in early 2000's and used it as recently as last year on a James Corden shoot. It is a bit cumbersome to lug around (so is track) and takes a minute to set it up (one side needs to be straight if one is aiming to dolly in a straight line, but they make simple u-channel guides to help with that). Other than that, it is very stable and smooth and avoids many of the pitfalls of the Dana Dolly which is to me bafflingly popular in comparison, namely that the aerial systems are not great with longer lenses due to vibration. The Losmandy ecosystem includes the Portajib riding on that track so it can certainly take the weight.

The Dutti is a smart piece of gear. I think of it more as a means to get ultra low shots--as Sam said I'm a little curious if it is a wide enough wheelbase for stabillity with a jib on top.
    I shot this (first 25 seconds) with a Dana Dolly and a handful of apple boxes for the height. The dips to black are only there to let me move the track closer after each shot. This obviously wouldn't work many other times. The slow pace was pretty much the only option before introducing obvious instability into the shot, plus it took a while to "settle" before beginning the move.

For a straight push into an object without titling, would the Dutti Dolly with bazooka work? Or is the center of gravity too high for a small dolly like this?

Dutti_Bazooka_Camera.jpg

6. Collapse Details
    For a really fast straight dolly push-in, would a GoPro mounted to a bazooka's RPG work?

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by rob norton View Post
    For a straight push into an object without titling, would the Dutti Dolly with bazooka work? Or is the center of gravity too high for a small dolly like this?
    With enough sandbags, you can easily put the centre of gravity where it needs to be (down low).

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    As long as the card survived...

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Grug View Post
    With enough sandbags, you can easily put the centre of gravity where it needs to be (down low).
    Good point. The dana dolly runs out of real estate pretty quickly though with boxes in the way!

I know it's probably the wrong tool where it excels as a slider more than a dolly replacement but it's good to find out exactly what you can get away with if you don't have access to anything else.

Do you think a heavily bagged dutti dolly with bazooka would be fine?

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Coughlin View Post
    For a really fast straight dolly push-in, would a GoPro mounted to a bazooka's RPG work?
    Yeah I can see that working but you might have trouble coming to a gentle stop.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast