Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    FX9 Powering options
    I've been excited about receiving my FX9. As an FS7 user, I think it's a natural upgrade with a rich feature set. However, I'm concerned by all the early assessments by Doug Jensen, Alister Chapman, Philip Bloom and others that have mentioned the power-hungry nature of the camera. Up til now on my FS7 I've enjoyed the SWIT batteries with D-Tap. They're quite easy on the body and wallet and they last forever, unless I need to power accessories. I'd initially thought I'd make a lateral changeover to the CORE 98wh batts to power the FX9 but it seems I might need a bunch of 'em.

The Newshooter team has posted a number of very interesting mini V-lock batts that are both tiny and look to be able to power smaller LEDs. I do more run and gun work with smaller crews and need to be fairly mobile so I was looking for folks' opinions on the evolution of V-locks. Can they be trusted? Anyone in the US use V-locks on their FS7?

I think the cost is very different between mini V-locks and AB batteries but the cost difference is nominal between Core and Swit batts for the FS cameras and the mini V locks. They even have tiny 4 bank chargers for the V-locks that look pretty nifty. I just want to make sure I can travel relatively light and not have to carry a giant heavy Pelican just for batteries.

Thoughts welcome.

2. Collapse Details
    I have the mini V locks and they work fine, but so do my 96WH Swits . There's no difference at all. The advantage of V locks is you can use them to power lights & accessories more easily and you can put bigger batteries on if you want them.. You'll need an adapter to run the V locks. That about sums it up.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by LennyLevy View Post
    I have the mini V locks and they work fine, but so do my 96WH Swits . There's no difference at all. The advantage of V locks is you can use them to power lights & accessories more easily and you can put bigger batteries on if you want them.. You'll need an adapter to run the V locks. That about sums it up.
    Do you find the run time is comparable between the V-locks and the Swits?

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by truelife View Post
    However, I'm concerned by all the early assessments by Doug Jensen, Alister Chapman, Philip Bloom and others that have mentioned the power-hungry nature of the camera.
    Just to be clear, I just reported what the camera's manual said the power consumption was. I didn't characterize the camera as being power hungry. In fact, I'm, surprised it isn't higher given all the processing going on for a FF 6K sensor.

5. Collapse Details
    One problem is the DC input is 19v.. so the usual suspect V mount plates to DC wont work.. but dummy battery would .. but Im sure they will be made soon enough .. its not if you can trust V mounts ..thats just the mount and is the universally used mount .. only the US really useless AB.. its more a concern of who is making the battery.. but any showing at Interbee in Japan should be good I would think.... AB also make V mount batts.. any of the well known brands will be safe.. Sony are also due to release larger capacity small size batts that fit directly.. but they dont have any D tap annoyingly .. I wouldn't class 35W as power hungry .. try an Amira !.. its more that the fs7 was very un power thirsty ..the fx9 is not much more than an f5..

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by truelife View Post
    Do you find the run time is comparable between the V-locks and the Swits?
    Unless I'm mistaken, 98WH is 98WH is 98WH it really doesn't matter what type of connector you use.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by LennyLevy View Post
    Unless I'm mistaken, 98WH is 98WH is 98WH it really doesn't matter what type of connector you use.
    Personally I prefer V mount to AB .. and you have alot more options .. of if you need a rental anywhere in the world .. its probably going to be V mount ..
    Last edited by Donny 123; 11-26-2019 at 07:13 AM.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Donny 123 View Post
    One problem is the DC input is 19v.. so the usual suspect V mount plates to DC wont work..
    Donny- you're saying that the current V-mount plates for the FS7 would not be compatible with the FX9?

9. Collapse Details
    ... I wouldn't class 35W as power hungry .. try an Amira !.. its more that the fs7 was very un power thirsty ..the fx9 is not much more than an f5..
    Yeah. Our old Betacams were 25-35 watts with our old 5.5lb NiCad batts topping out at 65Wh. I guess it’s all about perspective...

10. Collapse Details
    Personally I prefer V mount to AB .. and you have alot more options .. of if you need a rental anywhere in the world .. its probably going to be V mount ..
    It’s kind of a personal call on what mount you use, but Gold Mount is more robust than V-lock. When have you ever seen a Gold Mount battery just fall off or someone have to seat and re-seat a GM batt several times before it makes good contact? Spending my career mostly on the “TV” side it’s mostly GM, still. V-lock has been around since the 90’s and Sony actually came up with it, but it doesn’t seem like it really took hold to the levels that you see now, until after RED chose it as their default mount. Every “real” Panasonic camera and portable field monitor going back to at least the original VariCam came from the factory with genuine A/B Gold Mount plates installed. The only GM plate I’ve ever had an issue with is the GM-to-V-lock plate for my F55 and it’s the V-lock side that’s the issue. And it’s probably the receiver side on the camera. All I know is that if my 55 won’t fire up, I just pull the plate off the cameras v-lock and re-seat it(sometimes multiple times) and then it will fire.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast