Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Microphone Choices for FX9
    Anyone have any ideas for microphone choices on the FX9? I'm looking for a short stereo shotgun solution that can mount in the standard 21mm mic holder that comes with the camera. Has anyone used the Sony ECM-MS2? I like the compact design and the stereo soundstage (even if very simple) might be useful on B-Roll.

sony mic.jpg
    Last edited by powervideo; 11-22-2019 at 09:27 PM. Reason: typo
    Peter Corbett
    php.com.au

2. Collapse Details
    I use this Audio Technica mic on my Fs7:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...r_Shotgun.html

I'm not a Sound Recordist or particularly scrupulous about sound, but it came highly recommended and does what I need.

One down-side of that Sony you mention is the double-xlr presents a minor problem when you want to plug a wireless into one of the two channels because you then have the unused xlr of that Sony mic dangling with no home and needing to be secured. Same as when your Sound Op plugs in his snake and your onboard shotgun's single XLR needs to find a home. My solution is a Bongo tie around the rear of the camera's top handle, the Bongo used to secure the end of the XLR not being used at the time. Another little niggle with that Sony is that the cables are made "into" the rear of the mic and do not disconnect. Which means if one of those two cables goes bad you will be without the mic while having that repaired. With the Audio Technica I linked, the cable is not permanently attached. If it goes bad you simply swap it out with another short xlr cable. Or, if you want to detach the cable altogether while you are going off your Sound Op's two-channel snake, you can. That said, the likelihood of the cables going bad is pretty slim. Chances are you could run with that mic on your camera for years and abuse both the mic and the cables and it would hold up to that.

That Audio Technica is around $100 less than the Sony. Granted, it isn't a stereo mic like the Sony. But whatever you decide the length of both the Sony ECM-MS2 and the AT875R is where you want to be. For a time I had a Rode shotgun on my camera that is longer in length than those two mics and it was an issue when using super-wide lenses. The Rode intruded into the frame and had to be backed off anytime I went super-wide.
    Big sources matter.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by JPNola View Post
    I use this Audio Technica mic on my Fs7:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...r_Shotgun.html
    So do I. It's great bang for the buck.
    New Website: www.liamhall.net
    TWITTER: @FilmLiam
    INSTAGRAM: @picsbyliam

4. Collapse Details
    Iím considering that Sony mic as well. And complement it with a better mono mic for more critical circumances.
    Iím shooting a lot of live events, then a stereo mic for room ambience would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by JPNola View Post
    One down-side of that Sony you mention is the double-xlr presents a minor problem when you want to plug a wireless into one of the two channels because you then have the unused xlr of that Sony mic dangling with no home and needing to be secured.
    Iím planning to solve this by getting one of the Sony wireless receivers that plug into the MI shoe...
    Sony NEX-FS700R | A7S | Odyssey 7Q+ | Atomos Ninja V
    FE: Sony 24-70/2.8 GM, 70-200/2.8 GM, 28-135/4, 50/1.8, 28-70, SEL: 50/1.8, 35/1.8, 18-105/4
    Samyang 16, 35 & 85mm Cine
    Sachtler Flowtech 75 | Benro S8
    MacBook Pro 2018 6-core i7 2.6 ghz / 32gb ram / 512gb HD | macOS Catalina
    Hackintosh i7-8700K 6-core 3.7 ghz / 32 gb ram / 512gb NVMe / Radeon RX 580 | macOS Mojave

5. Collapse Details
    I am also buying the Sony mic for the Z280. You can use it as stereo or mono as described below. But if used in stereo the multi shoe on the Sony cameras with their wireless is great. Especially if you replace the Sony wireless mic with the Saken COS11D. It does mean I can not use my Lectro system, but the Sony wireless has stood up well in the last year.

From Sony Product page:
    Stereo and mono operation
    The ECM-MS2 offers mono operation when stereo is not required, simply by cutting off the power supply to the right channel. This capability is useful for recording environmental sounds with one channel, while the other channel is being used with an additional wireless microphone system.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    The ECM-MC2 is a great little mic for day-to-day use. I move it from camera to camera when I want something small and light, and that doesn't protrude too far above the lens. The sound is excellent.
    For more serious applications I use a ECM-680S on the camera or a boom pole.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    +1 on the ATR-875R if you're happy with a mono ambience channel (I personally prefer that.) If I was buying now, I'd also consider the new Rode NTG5.

A mono feed then leaves XLR2 as a spare input for whatevers.

I'm pretty fastidious about sound. I'm a producer/solo op with an AP (my wife) and we shoot with a discrete footprint all over the world. She booms a mic on a radio butt plug TX when we're on the move.

After years of always running principle sound through cables, we've recently done a couple of fairly big projects using the Sony dual radio RX on the MI Shoe, receiving either:

1) Two radio lapel/lav TXs or

2) One radio lapel/lav TX plus one Sennheiser 416 butt plug TX, on a boom pole with a quick release so Cath can ditch the pole and go in close with the mic mount.

We've just completed post on a 30 min doc for the NHS here in the UK and I'm really happy with the amount of dynamic range and low noise we get with the Sony radio system - we'll carry on using it for booming actuality sound and lavs, as the tiny trade off in audio quality is more than made up with portability and zero cables.

We still run an Oktava MK012 as our static interview mic (boomed over the interviewee) and that always runs on a cable.

As a small team trade off, it all works well for most of our scenarios - and the MI Shoe is a fantastic thing to have and a very clever way of keeping you in the Sony eco-system.

Ben.
    Ben Giles GBFTE BAFTA

www.matobo.co.uk

@MatoboLtd

8. Collapse Details
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm curious about the new URX-P40 receiver with SMAD-P5 setup. I really like the smaller size, simple frequency-sync facility and the digital interface. But no dual-channel yet.
    Peter Corbett
    php.com.au

9. Collapse Details
    I see you have the Ninja V - does it record RAW from 700 to either 4K or 1080?

thanks
    L

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by LDV20 View Post
    I see you have the Ninja V - does it record RAW from 700 to either 4K or 1080?

thanks
    L
    No, not until the new firmware arrives. It's due this month supposedly!
    Peter Corbett
    php.com.au

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast