Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary Knoop View Post
    Thankfully the UK is concerned as well:
    https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/uk...ftc-not-88502/

Soon those who don't care about children's privacy and want to continue to rack money from them will only find "solace" from "Cayman Islands" type servers.....
    since it is clear you don't understand the problem try this explanation
    https://youtu.be/DiezoFIH4wg

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jamedia.uk View Post
    since it is clear you don't understand the problem try this explanation
    It's not a matter of explanation.

I think your channel will have zero problems with this new policy.
    You are clearly trying to find an opportunity to do some "USA bashing", which, by the way, is not the first time!

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    I must admit I am totally confused by this entire topic. As it happens, my job is putting on pantomimes and I've been doing it for a long time and would really appreciate what the Youtube issue is - frankly, it's the first I've heard of it being a problem. In fact, putting on full length pantomimes on youtube has been impossible for many reasons other than Youtube's recent attempt at compliance - and this issue also impacts on the kids in the pantomimes.

Putting a video clip from a professional pantomime on youtube is for me, impossible. Rights is the cause. Every musician and performer, has rights as to how their work is used. The writers are protected the lighting, costume, set, special effects and sound design creators or owners have rights and this is before we even think about music! These reasons prevent the videos we produce of the show being used for anything other than archival purposes. We record shows, file them away and next time a scene is revived we can see how it was done last time, or in a small theatre or big theatre. I'm working with the BBC at the moment who are doing a documentary and I'm spending crazy time making sure they don't shoot how some things are done. Then, when they 'accidentally' shoot it, I have to make sure they won't use it, and of course once I am gone - they have a free hand. It's a nightmare.

I have NEVER in all my career (and I'm old now) been able to post the hundreds of hours worth of my material on Youtube.

In fact, there are very few full length shows on Youtube. A few amateur pantomimes, that are rarely well recorded - so clip stuff.

As for the concerns on children - in professional and amateur pantomime in the UK the kids all have licences, licence chaperones and internal systems to control their experience to make it safe. Even if I solved all the adult people problems and the rights issues - I'd still have to get permission from every parent and guardian to put it on youtube. I just cannot see this happening before I went mad.

I must assume we are talking about amateur pantomimes here, so while not being able to publish them on youtube if the rules are applied rigidly, then stick it on Vimeo. I am guessing the purpose is for the people involved in it? I don't know any actors, singers or dancer companies that would get you a 100% approval for it to be on youtube. When I've needed to put out a scene or two for the cast to see, it means private status, passwords and security, and then deletion very soon after.

What exactly is winding you up so badly - surely Youtube are doing what the vast majority want - safeguarding kids. Annoying for those who just want to put up their show, but without control of audience, it's just too risky.

EDIT
    Ah - I get it. the anger is around the loss of income from the videos, not child protection at all. You can't make money, because the videos won't have the reach because there will be no comments, they won't get notifications and their marketing is wrecked. It won't stop people sticking amateur panto clips up because these are for the people involved, and nobody wants to make money - many, will be linked to from facebook. People comment there. My reading is that its income generation that has wound people up - NOTHING to do with protecting kids. I'm amazed at the anger people have on youtube to this protection. Youtube lose revenue and so do some providers. Small price for protecting kids.

What is the problem here? Apart from advertising revenue!
    Last edited by paulears; 11-24-2019 at 02:47 AM.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary Knoop View Post
    It's not a matter of explanation.

I think your channel will have zero problems with this new policy.
    You are clearly trying to find an opportunity to do some "USA bashing", which, by the way, is not the first time!
    Of the dozens of COPPA videos I have seen by Youtube creators who are loosing their livelihoods I think they were all US based creators.
    These are a wide range of content creators, a lot of them gamers.
    You clearly don't understand the problem.

Most of it is unintended consequences that are going to cause problems that have nothing to do with "protecting children". IT is they way the rules are being implemented and where the line are drawn.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by paulears View Post
    I must admit I am totally confused by this entire topic.
    Have a look at the links I posted above. In principal it sounds a good idea however it appears the implementation is the problem. Also where the lines are drawn.

if the rules are applied rigidly, then stick it on Vimeo.
    Vimeo is chargeable, US based and therefore will have the same rules applied as YouTube.

The problem is not the privacy of children but the way COPPA and YouTube have implemented it.
    As noted inthe links above from US content creators many of their channels, not aimed at children, will be very badly affected.
    As will their income and livelihoods.
    Last edited by jamedia.uk; 11-24-2019 at 02:54 AM.

6. Collapse Details
    So how does it affect pantomime videos?

7. Collapse Details
    So how does it affect pantomime videos?
    Looking at the implementation Youtube is using, according to the big YT content creators who have been delving into this, it can be a problem. You only have to see that you can't say "when the hell" it is "what the heck" and many other "cuss words" that are everyday language around the world fall foul of the the US levels. Whilst in principal the COPPA is good the implementation to US standard will it seems, according to many US content makers, kill their channels. The levels would be very different if for example the French had implemented it.

The obvious ones were the gamers doing videos of Fortnite. As this is a "cartoon/Animation" and therefore "aimed at children" they think. IT also appears some have been hit my this rule. The language of the commentary has to be suitable for US under 13's
    In the same way in the Dick Wittington panto there were a lot of dick jokes and similar.

I don't do any videos that are "for kids" but the problem seems to be that if you mark the videos or channel "not for kids" and YT or COPPA authorities decide otherwise you are in even more trouble.

The question is what is a non US based video system like YouTube?
    Vimeo is US based (and chargeable) so will have the same problems as YT
    NOTE this all started because YouTube got a large fine so they are, quite understandably, shifting the responsibility to the unloaders.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jamedia.uk View Post
    The question is what is a non US based video system like YouTube?
    It depends on what your needs are?
    Do you need the service just o host our videos so you can display them on your webpage? Or do you need a platform where you can grow an audience and make money? If the latter then I doubt there really is a viable alternative.
    Sony NEX-FS700R | A7S | Odyssey 7Q+ | Atomos Ninja V
    FE: Sony 24-70/2.8 GM, 70-200/2.8 GM, 28-135/4, 50/1.8, 28-70, SEL: 50/1.8, 35/1.8, 18-105/4
    Samyang 16, 35 & 85mm Cine
    Sachtler Flowtech 75 | Benro S8
    MacBook Pro 2018 6-core i7 2.6 ghz / 32gb ram / 512gb HD | macOS Catalina
    Hackintosh i7-8700K 6-core 3.7 ghz / 32 gb ram / 512gb NVMe / Radeon RX 580 | macOS Mojave

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by dmitrizigany View Post
    It depends on what your needs are?
    Do you need the service just o host our videos so you can display them on your webpage? Or do you need a platform where you can grow an audience and make money? If the latter then I doubt there really is a viable alternative.
    I am primarily looking for hosting. The videos are normally displayed on other web sites and I am not looking to make money on them from Youtube.

However there will be very very many others who run youtube channels that are their main source of income. Some of them are reporting a 50% drop in income already. They will be looking for a "non-US-based-YouTube" Child privacy and protection is not a problem for anyone in principal it is just the implementation that seems to be the problem.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123