Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Youtube Replacement because of COPPA
    Does anyone know of a (free) system like Youtube for hosting Videos that is not US based?

With the new (?) COPPA thing coming in and the YouTube not-for/for kids buttons and algorithms those of us not based in the US, who have very different cultures and standards, I can see a need for a no US version of YouTube.

Any recommendations?

2. Collapse Details
    Who would be against protecting the privacy of kids under 13 years old without parental consent and for teenagers 13-15 without the user's consent?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary Knoop View Post
    Who would be against protecting the privacy of kids under 13 years old without parental consent and for teenagers 13-15 without the user's consent?
    You completely miss the point.

4. Collapse Details
    RuTube is not US based ... but it might be cut off the WWW.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jamedia.uk View Post
    You completely miss the point.
    I looked at your YouTube channel and I really do not see what your concern would be against this protective measure by Youtube and neither do I see what it would have to do with "different cultures and standards".

But, if you no longer like YouTube because of it I suppose you have to find something else.

Also, feel free to explain to me what point I am supposedly missing.
    Last edited by Cary Knoop; 11-21-2019 at 10:37 AM.

6. Collapse Details
    I looked at your YouTube channel and I really do not see what your concern would be against this protective measure by Youtube and neither do I see what it would have to do with "different cultures and standards".
    But feel free to explain to me what point I am missing.

I have four long pantomime videos. The language and jokes will not meet the YouTube "for kids" criteria. However There are a lot of children inthe audience.
    The problem is the US has a prudish, repressed and hypocritical view of a lot of this and is out of step with most of the world (other than Iran, Saudi Arabia and places like that). That is the problem what is being applied in practice not the principal.

But hey, if you no longer like YouTube because of it I suppose you have to find something else.
    From what I have seen large numbers of people whose income is a Youtube channel are going to have to move.
    Of course if Youtube opens a separate company ( MyTube? ) and servers in somewhere like Europe that is not under COPPA that would work.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Here's what looks like a reasonable discussion of some of the possible unexpected consequences of YouTube's attempt at COPPA compliance. From The Verge a couple weeks ago:

YouTube’s new kids’ content system has creators scrambling
    The government could sue them for thousands of dollars

[snip]
    The new system is already sending creators reeling over what exactly is considered kids’ content and what could happen if they unintentionally mislabel videos. Some of YouTube’s most popular categories falls into a gray area for the policy, including gaming videos, family vlogging, and toy reviews.

“Creators are being held directly responsible by the FTC,“ Dan Eardley, who reviews collectible toys on his channel Pixel Dan, told The Verge on Wednesday. “So if the FTC decides that [we] are indeed targeting children, we’ll be fined. That is frightening.”

“It’s especially scary because the verbiage of ‘kid directed’ vs ‘kid attractive’ isn’t very clear,” he continued. “It’s hard to know if we’re in violation or not.”
    [snip]

Rest of the not-long article, with links, etc:
    https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/13/...bers-new-rules
    ----------
    Jim Feeley
    POV Media

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    The problem is the US has a prudish, repressed and hypocritical view of a lot of this and is out of step with most of the world (other than Iran, Saudi Arabia and places like that).
    Oh dear!

I am sure you are glad you live in enlightened Birmingham and not in the USA!

From what I have seen large numbers of people whose income is a Youtube channel are going to have to move.
    Aww, now we must feel so sorry for those folks who rack millions from ads on YouTube that target gullible children?
    Last edited by Cary Knoop; 11-21-2019 at 11:37 AM.

0 out of 4 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Feeley View Post
    Here's what looks like a reasonable discussion of some of the possible unexpected consequences of YouTube's attempt at COPPA compliance. From The Verge a couple weeks ago:

[snip]
    “It’s especially scary because the verbiage of ‘kid directed’ vs ‘kid attractive’ isn’t very clear,” he continued. “It’s hard to know if we’re in violation or not.”
    [snip]

Rest of the not-long article, with links, etc:
    https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/13/...bers-new-rules
    The problem is what is "reasonable". Lots of people seem to be having a problem with this,even the US youTubers who are used to US standards. Those in the rest of the world are going to have even more of a problem.

So either YouTube does a non-US set up or some one else will.

10. Collapse Details
    Thankfully the UK is concerned as well:
    https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/uk...ftc-not-88502/

Soon those who don't care about children's privacy and want to continue to rack money from them will only find "solace" from "Cayman Islands" type servers.....

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast