1. Collapse Details
    Best SD Card for 400 Mbps on GH5
    Quick question.

Does anyone have any recommendations for the best SD card for handling 400 Mbps on the GH5. Specs indicate cards must have a V60 rating, but I can only seem to find a couple of those and they tend to be pricey.

The FreeTail Evoke Pro card got a good review, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any recommendations on this.

Thank you!

2. Collapse Details
    The last place you want to try to save money on, is your recording media. Get the best V60 card you can.

3. Collapse Details
    I liked these:
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ies_tough.html
    i used them on the gh5 and now on the S1H they are build to last.

4. Collapse Details
    Thanks for that. Good to know.

5. Collapse Details
    I got a Lexar 256GB V60 card from Amazon on "Prime Day" for $48. I tested it at the 400 Mbps setting and it worked fine, but I almost always shoot at either 100 or 150 Mbps. It has not given me any problems.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Green View Post
    Get the best V60 card you can.
    Define "best". Then describe how we can identify which of the dozen or so available cards is "best".

Until I develop unerring radar to identify the best products, I will generally buy the least expensive model that meets the specs and silences the whisper in my ear that advises me to not buy junk.

7. Collapse Details
    Lexar I haven't had any issues with personally, but there are more reviews of issues if you read the negatives. Perhaps thats just a bad batch on some, I don't know.

SanDisk is generally regarded as very trustworthy; their v90 cards are also some of the priciest.

I suppose technically "the best" (this is a hard thing to actually, measurably validate) might be the SanDisk v90 128gb for $210:

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Mirro...s%2C215&sr=8-3

Probably just as good of a buy in practice, and more economical, would be the Lexar v90:

https://www.amazon.com/Lexar-Profess...s%2C215&sr=8-1

And, finally, as Bobko and Barry mentioned here... the v60 speed is probably the most pragmatic fit overall. It's only a little slower than v90, and you don't need more than v60 speeds to get ALL-I 400mbs recording on the GH5 / S1H. And they are so much cheaper. The Lexar 128gb V60 is only $40, but there are a good number of negative reviews. Again, this may be a luck of the draw thing right now:

https://www.amazon.com/Lexar-Profess...s%2C215&sr=8-2

///

I'd recommend reading more reviews and doing some more research before springing for anything.

8. Collapse Details
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    Lexar I haven't had any issues with personally, but there are more reviews of issues if you read the negatives. Perhaps thats just a bad batch on some, I don't know.
    It seems that most of the problems with the new LEXAR cards have to do with the formatting they receive at the factory. I have been able to sort out all of my LEXAR card issues by using the FREE card formatting utility put out by the SD Association to perform a low-level format of my LEXAR cards when I first buy them. ( after this you can simply do a normal in-camera format when you re-use your LEXAR cards )

It looks like the SD Association formatting tool is doing a better job of flagging bad sectors on LEXAR cards than standard computer formatting software does. ( I first tried Windows low-level formatting my cards but that did NOT fix the problem )

SD Association Free Formatting Utility for Mac and Windows

9. Collapse Details
    This is VERY helpful. And I do appreciate it. When I had the FS7, I just stayed with Sony's cards and didn't ask too many questions. But with the GH5 being more like a DSLR, I had SanDisk cards that I used in other cameras, but for the GH5, it doesn't appear to meet the min specs. But yes, it is hard to get my mind around paying $210 for an SD card. I know small things are expensive, but that's actually a fair portion of a day's pay for me.

Any way, I think I got an idea of the direction to go now, so thanks so much. This info helps a lot.

10. Collapse Details
    I've had a great experience using the Sony SDCX "M" V60 cards:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...s_ii_sdxc.html
    Matt Gottshalk - Director/ Dp/ and Emmy Award Winning Editor
    Producer, Digital Creative for the United States Postal Service