Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Grug View Post
    I'll be very interested to hear how well this does (the maxed out version) paired with an eGPU.

According to Max Yurev, the CPU thanks to better thermal design is roughly 7% faster sustained. It is the same CPU as the previous 15" but the better thermal design helps the CPU use a bit more turbo boost speed. Not sure if that is worth it or not. The base GPU however is a massive upgrade vs the previous base model GPU. If someone doesn't need the top of the line the base model is now a very solid machine for GPU performance. The Metal score was much higher and Max tested a game that got 17.8 fps on the 15" RX555 and 48 fps on the 16" base GPU. Thats a significant upgrade to the GPU for the more affordable base option. In fact the base 16" GPU has a Metal score in between the previous 15" Vega 16 and Vega 20.

CPU is only 6 core for the models Max tested but 6 cores is still a very powerful system. Might be a few weeks before the 8 cores are tested to see how well the thermals help the i9 CPU. That 6 core base model is much more attractive than it used to be.

2. Collapse Details
    This doesn't get around the fact that the basic spec computer is amazingly expensive, restrictive in out of the box connectivity and designed without any thought as to what customers actually need.
    500Mb internal drive as a standard? Surely everyone nowadays needs more than that no matter what you do with them, but as so many applications are memory hungry, it's like selling car with a go to the shops once a week size petrol tank - who are the people who would spend over two grand on a computer and NOT want to do critical things with it. If you buy a sub five hundred pound windows laptop, you get a bigger drive on a budget machine. My thoughts are that Apple don't want to sell the base model, just have it in the range.

My 2 year old MacBook is the worst one I have had, and this is the third MacBook I have had. 2 usb C sockets , one used for power, a 250Gb drive I cannot swap out, and a terrible keyboard that inserts extra spaces!!! Hate it.

0 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by paulears View Post
    a terrible keyboard that inserts extra spaces!!! Hate it.
    In the last few days suddenly I find that my keyboard too is inserting extra spaces. This is a 15 inch 2016 model.

The new model sounds interesting. I think I may buy one sooner than later. I am waiting to see when apple is going to start its online store in India so that I can create and buy the configuration suitable for myself.

4. Collapse Details
    This doesn't get around the fact that the basic spec computer is amazingly expensive, restrictive in out of the box connectivity and designed without any thought as to what customers actually need.
    500Mb internal drive as a standard? Surely everyone nowadays needs more than that no matter what you do with them, but as so many applications are memory hungry, it's like selling car with a go to the shops once a week size petrol tank - who are the people who would spend over two grand on a computer and NOT want to do critical things with it. If you buy a sub five hundred pound windows laptop, you get a bigger drive on a budget machine. My thoughts are that Apple don't want to sell the base model, just have it in the range.

My 2 year old MacBook is the worst one I have had, and this is the third MacBook I have had. 2 usb C sockets , one used for power, a 250Gb drive I cannot swap out, and a terrible keyboard that inserts extra spaces!!! Hate it.
    Apple did miss the mark with the previous keyboard which is why they fixed it for this new model.

As for the connections I much prefer it this way because I pay for only what I use on my computer. USB3 adapters are a few bucks and small enough to leave plugged into the MBP. Sure maybe out of the box as soon as you remove the shrink wrap you may have to plug in said adapter to use a USB3 drive it takes seconds. The TB3 port laptops have been around now since 2016 and most people are now aware they should get a few adapters. This is just not that big of deal and easily solved with affordable options.

As for expensive price it depends on what you compare it to and much saving a few bucks on a machine that lasts 5-7 years matters. We are realistically only talking a couple hundred bucks over a "comparable" PC. You really have to match not just specs but the actual real world usage to assess its value per cost. To some users a $2,400 MBP might feel like a $3,000 PC laptop depending on what they do and what software they use. To a gamer the opposite may be true but last time I checked we were professionals and not gamers. 2.4ghz, 16GB of ram and a laptop grade GPU is a different experience between a Mac/MacOS and a PC/Windows and not directly comparable. I guess some of us put a value on using MacOS over Windows and base our specs on other Macs and not PCs.

5. Collapse Details

Yeah, a 512GB internal drive is not what you want to see on a premium laptop, but stepping up to the base 8-core model(from the 6 core), for $400 more you get an 8-core i9 processor, better graphics card and the base SSD is now 1TB. And across all 16" models you have four TB3/USB-C ports and the new(fixed) keyboard, which is getting pretty good marks, from the early reviews I've seen.

6. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography TimurCivan's Avatar
    I just bought the 16" with:

2.4 GHz 8 Core i9
    64 GB RAM
    AMD Radeon pro 5500M w/ 8gig Memory
    1TB SSD ( i dont need internal storage at all... my current computer has 500 gigs and has 400 free)

Will report back.
    Cinematographer
    Sigma Pro

www.timurcivan.com 917-589-4424

7. Collapse Details

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by TimurCivan View Post
    I just bought the 16" with:
    2.4 GHz 8 Core i9
    64 GB RAM
    AMD Radeon pro 5500M w/ 8gig Memory
    1TB SSD ( i dont need internal storage at all... my current computer has 500 gigs and has 400 free)
    Will report back.
    A couple days ago, I ordered the same, but with a 2TB $$D.

My thought is: I just about always have media on external drives, but since I'm spending more days on the road, it'll be handy to store a working copy of our footage.

Very roughly, my shoots generate somewhere around 100-200GB per day. I'm backing up to little 2TB SanDisk Extreme portable SSDs:
    https://shop.westerndigital.com/prod...SDE60-2T00-G25

So with the bigger internal SSD, I should be able to simultaneously backup to two external SSDs and to the internal SSD. So more copies, and depending on how the trip's going, I can at least view the footage off the internal SSD without disturbing the backups. And if miracles occur and we do some logging or other sort of organizing, we can backup project files to the cloud (probably will keep the external SSDs just holding camera footage).

And then back home, go to the old data-on-RAID workflow, with the MBP driving an external monitor.

So I think a bit more space will come in handly. Bummer that Apple charges an extra $400 for 1TB more space.

Anyway, my MBP is supposed to be ready for pickup in a couple weeks. If I discover anything amazing or terrible, I'll try to let you all know.
    ----------
    Jim Feeley
    POV Media

9. Collapse Details
    Your backup drive costs £150 for 2TB - how much did Apple charge for the internal drive? I really don't know how Apple justify the price. My USB-Cs are both now loose, and having all those adapters hanging off the thing has I think caused it. Two sockets on a laptop is just crazy.

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    Your backup drive costs £150 for 2TB - I really don't know how Apple justify the price.
    Paul, Jim gave a link to the product he's using. The price of that drive is $500 for 2TB, although it is indeed on sale for half the price currently: $250.

It's an entry level SSD with speeds around 550 MB/s. Still good for easy to use external storage, but it terms of pure performance, this isn't state of the art.

Apple however, has routinely built some of the fastest SSDs into their computers for a few years now. The new MacBook Pro SSD has speeds north of 2500 MB/s. I'm just going to skip the car analogies all together and let y'all use your imagination.

Apple's price to go from 1TB (standard) to 2TB is $400. Yes, there is margin there, but this is for a top shelf product.

Anyway... none of this matters to Mac users. There are no other brands selling Macs.

Reading what you write, you do sound generally unhappy (and a bit bitter) with your computer. Maybe it was just a really poor fit for your needs? If you're the type of user that compare prices between Windows based computers and Macs (meaning you are open to Windows and "PCs"), chances are you're better off with Windows.
    @andreemarkefors

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast