1. Collapse Details
    C500 mk II power supply
    Happy New Year all! Just got my C500 MK II, and suprisingly it doesn't come with a power adapter for the camera itself. As far as I can tell, the camera only accepts DC in via the 4-pin XLR jack on the back, which is rated for 11.5 V to 20 V DC, 10 A.

I asked canon support about recommending a power adapter for this, and they said:

I understand that you are looking for a power adapter for the EOS C500 Mark II. My name is Tim and I can certainly assist you with this today.

The only power adapter we recommend is the CA-CP200 B Compact Power Adapter (for the CG-A20). We don't recommend third party adapters such as the one you reference because they're not manufactured by us and we aren't able to give educated guidance on them.
    The power adapter they recommended is the one packaged with the camera to power the battery charger. It A) doesn't have a 4-pin XLR, and B) it's rated at 24V, 1.8A.

Am I crazy, or did Canon just give me advice that would damage my camera? And can anyone help me out with a recommended power adapter? My knowledge on currents and resistance is pretty poor. I found this one: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...pply_with.html which is rated at 12 V and 6 A.

Thanks in advance.

2. Collapse Details
    That is interesting that Canon switched over to a standardized 12V XLR DC Power input. That will definitely make life easier. I've actually crushed the old lemo connectors. Somebody else on these boards, I think it was Dan, was having problems with power cutting out on his connectors.

Anyway, you could probably get away with powering it with any 4 pin XLR DC source that you can find lying around, but that B&H link should work. It looks like the camera only requires about 3 amps.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Powell Media View Post
    Happy New Year all! Just got my C500 MK II, and suprisingly it doesn't come with a power adapter for the camera itself. As far as I can tell, the camera only accepts DC in via the 4-pin XLR jack on the back, which is rated for 11.5 V to 20 V DC, 10 A.

I asked canon support about recommending a power adapter for this, and they said:

I understand that you are looking for a power adapter for the EOS C500 Mark II. My name is Tim and I can certainly assist you with this today.

The only power adapter we recommend is the CA-CP200 B Compact Power Adapter (for the CG-A20). We don't recommend third party adapters such as the one you reference because they're not manufactured by us and we aren't able to give educated guidance on them.
    The power adapter they recommended is the one packaged with the camera to power the battery charger. It A) doesn't have a 4-pin XLR, and B) it's rated at 24V, 1.8A.

Am I crazy, or did Canon just give me advice that would damage my camera? And can anyone help me out with a recommended power adapter? My knowledge on currents and resistance is pretty poor. I found this one: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...pply_with.html which is rated at 12 V and 6 A.

Thanks in advance.
    This is insane - it doesn't include a power adapter?! I use the one for my C300 mkii ALL the time, for interviews, etc. I'd be screwed on a regular basis without it.
    I'm also interested in how this gets sorted out.
    The World Is Made
    Of The Stories We Tell.

Documentary + Commercial
    Sean Stiller / Toronto, Vancouver

4. Collapse Details
    For what it's worth, many cinema cameras don't come with power adapters (ARRI - RED - Blackmagic), and it's a separate purchase.
    Retired.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by cpreston View Post
    That is interesting that Canon switched over to a standardized 12V XLR DC Power input. That will definitely make life easier. I've actually crushed the old lemo connectors. Somebody else on these boards, I think it was Dan, was having problems with power cutting out on his connectors.

Anyway, you could probably get away with powering it with any 4 pin XLR DC source that you can find lying around, but that B&H link should work. It looks like the camera only requires about 3 amps.
    It's about damn time. Maybe now you can reliably supply external power to a C-cam.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by seanarmada View Post
    This is insane - it doesn't include a power adapter?! I use the one for my C300 mkii ALL the time, for interviews, etc. I'd be screwed on a regular basis without it.
    I'm also interested in how this gets sorted out.
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    For what it's worth, many cinema cameras don't come with power adapters (ARRI - RED - Blackmagic), and it's a separate purchase.
    Yep. In 22+ years, I've never owned a professional, broadcast or "Cine" camera, except for a Canon C300 that came with a power supply. Never had one that included batteries or battery charger except for the 300, either.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by cpreston View Post

Yes, the stock C300 MKII and C200 Lemo have been very inconsistent performers, it's great they have finally gone industry standard. I would think any standard name brand DC adapter would work fine, just don't buy no name Chinese?
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

8. Collapse Details
    I just saw that the max power consumption is actually 63 watts vs the 34 watts I thought. A 6 amp power supply should still work, though.

9. Collapse Details
    So update: I bought the inditools power adapter I listed above but at 12v, the c500 mkii gives a low voltage warning and won’t roll tape which is a problem. I returned it and got this, which is 16.4v and works like a charm:

Dual D-Tap (P Tap) Travel Charger for Sony V-Mount/V Lock and Anton Bauer Gold Mount Batteries https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DZ4NOEQ..._YherEb1P86A5S

10. Collapse Details
    I purchased the Core SWX X2A charger ( https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...us_3_stud.html ) and it does NOT power the c500 –*unless there's something wrong with the Bescor XLR-5MF 4-Pin XLR Male to Female Power Cable power cable I purchased. But I'm guessing it doesn't put out enough AMPs.