Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 44
  1. Collapse Details
    #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    1,408
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
    Damn! I made that mistake . . . again. I blame my dyslexia. All those similar model numbers always get jumbled.
    haha no worries ..also dyslexic.. had to copy your text as I still cant actually spell that word.. but really it is a problem for f5 owners these days .. just this year I've had this come up quite a few times .. younger production people have simply not heard of the f5 but they all know the fs5.. !


    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
    #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    1,408
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by cyvideo View Post
    Well does it?

    Chris Young

    Im not sure .. what is an XLR plug.. there is a vastly over paid guy ,who mostly is sitting down eating donuts who fiddles around with that side of the camera


    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
    #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    NJ / NYC
    Posts
    344
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Donny 123 View Post
    Im not sure .. what is an XLR plug.. there is a vastly over paid guy ,who mostly is sitting down eating donuts who fiddles around with that side of the camera
    As near as I can tell from my experts (who seem to have switched from donuts to newspaper reading to avoid knee replacement) it's a feature that works easily on 'mid-range' cameras but which may require a certain amount of cursing and phone calls to tech support to set up properly on high end cameras (the ones with the easy camera menus they can't decipher.)


    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
    #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,282
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshallarts View Post
    The hardest part about coming to forums for mid-levels cameras like this are people like you who assume you have more experience than I. I do not have these issues with my Alexa. But I do on F5 and F55s. It’s a Sony thing. Everyone know that. Their menus are terrible. Have fun spending the rest of the weekend making yourself feel superior than you are.
    Please, you're the one who started this thread with a simple problem and has exposed their ignorance with every post. Don't ask for help if you don't want it and can't be bothered to open the operation manual and read. Like it or not, it is clear from your own posts that I DO KNOW more about Sony cameras than you. Don't blame the camera or pretend "everyone" knows the camera is at fault.


    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
    #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    163
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by cyvideo View Post
    Really! There are Alexa users here so I guess you count yourself amongst that august group of those mid level Alexa users that do post here. That's good to know, I guess we should all listen to god's gift to camera operators. BTW. Numerous mid level Alexas for sale on eBay this week for about $7.5k. Anyone with a modicum of intelligence wouldn't make a fatuous (mid-level adjective carefully chosen you'll note!) remark like that.

    Chris Young
    No need for you to get into a tissy. I was responding to Doug alone for his condescending reply. I was the one coming here for help and would have no reason to be upset with you, who has been helpful. I understand forums are place where people can become obnoxious, but I keep my nasty remarks reserved only to defend myself.

    Chris, no need to defend others for being obnoxious. You have been helpful, unlike Sony's manual.
    Last edited by Marshallarts; 11-19-2019 at 08:54 AM.


    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
    #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    746
    Default
    Sorry but I did find your answer somewhat condescending regardless. We all have a viewpoint and your response to Doug's response was as much as a 'tissy' as you put it as mine. Your remarks encompassed more than Doug's comments your general tone was sweeping and aimed at all the "mid level" camera users on this forum which I felt unnecessary especially as you say you were were looking for help. Hardly engenders anyone to be willing to offer you help. So be it.

    Chris Young


    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
    #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    163
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by cyvideo View Post
    Sorry but I did find your answer somewhat condescending regardless. We all have a viewpoint and your response to Doug's response was as much as a 'tissy' as you put it as mine. Your remarks encompassed more than Doug's comments your general tone was sweeping and aimed at all the "mid level" camera users on this forum which I felt unnecessary especially as you say you were were looking for help. Hardly engenders anyone to be willing to offer you help. So be it.

    Chris Young
    My apologies. If I'm to criticize mid-level camera users I am certainly one. In fact most of my work is with these cameras. Producers claim this is because of budgetary restraints, but judging by their lack of planning on the day of production it's quite clear they don't know what they want. And I do believe you can achieve high-end results with a mid-level camera IF they take the time to approach it correctly.

    I joined this forum in 2007 but have been filming long before then. Yes, even on film. I'm just as sick of seeing condescending remarks as anyone else. No one knows the experience level of each other here. That's why I'm always polite until I get pushed by a bully who thinks they know more.

    Particularly this past decade I feel Sony's menus have been an issue and this is a VERY COMMON BELIEF. Christ, remember when the F5 first came out?! I was in a conference YESTERDAY where the Sony Rep himself joked about the Sony's menus in front of an audience. To be called out "as not knowing how my camera works" was ridiculous. I've owned many Sonys, along with Panasonics, Canons, and Arris. When Doug takes an opportunity to discredit me and defend Sony, it's obvious he's just trying to be antagonizing. He clearly cared more about being a dick than understanding my actual concern. Of course I know the User Menu, but why the hell would a submenu be different there then anywhere else?

    You guys have resolved my issue so this is thread can end. But this specific example is a great example of another Sony menu problem. They allow you to place a submenu item in the user menu, but for some dumb reason it doesn't contain all the options available in another menu. This is either an error, or just a dumb decision. Anyone who stands behind it has drinking too much of the Sony cool-aid.


    2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
    #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,282
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshallarts View Post
    Of course I know the User Menu, but why the hell would a submenu be different there then anywhere else?
    Thanks for proving my point. You obviously don't know how the User Menu works even though you think you do or else you'd never make such a statement. Go read the manual and learn how User Menus work and discover their power. I'll leave it there instead of stooping to name calling and pointing fingers, making personal attacks, and talking about how many years I've been "filming".
    Last edited by Doug Jensen; 11-20-2019 at 07:57 PM.


    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
    #39
    Senior Member JPNola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    New Orleans USA
    Posts
    1,377
    Default
    Every camera menu seems “stupid” at times before you learn it, especially if coming from another make of camera. When I go back to a Windows-based computer it seems “stupid” and poorly thought out to me now that I am used to Macs.

    It isn’t as if Canons are not without quirks and less than optimal menu designs. As far as it being “common belief” that Sony menu design is poor, I suspect that much of that is a result of so many coming up on 5D’s and C300’s as their first camera whereas for those of us working in the betacam days Sony was our first experience. For the first 15 years of my career I used Sony cameras 80% of the time and never touched a Canon video camera at all.

    When I shoot on a RED there are things that seem “stupid” such as no longer being able to use focus-mag once you start rolling.

    I’ll say it again, even if controversial, but Sony never had a “fan-boy” following as developed with Canon via the 5D and then C300. In part because it was rarely “boys” using pro Sony cameras but men- the pro cameras were so expensive that only adults could afford them. 16 yr olds were not buying Sony betacams. And the Sony betacams were not purchased as toys for personal use. They were bought as tools, by professionals only. Never bought by hobbyists. Sony only really began to have a hobbyist / fanboy following with the A7 because it was priced to where hobbyists, and yes-teenage boys, could afford it.

    I’ll shut up now and yes, this thread is probably best dying out now. The OP’s issue was resolved and determined to be operator error.
    Big sources matter.


    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
    #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    163
    Default
    Apologies in advance for posting one more time. I figured all this arguing regarding the usefulness of missing Sub-Items was worth going straight to Sony's Advanced Support Team.

    It sounds like some here don't seem to mind it, even suggesting I'm just not familiar enough with the menu. (despite having owned several Sonys). I argue they aren't familiar with it's issues, missing Sub-items being just one of them. Helpful Doug lectures me to "read the manual" which if he did himself, he would understand that there is no mention of or explanation for why certain sub-items are not available there.... because that was the issue to begin with (thanks for nothing).

    Here's my conversation with Sony along with their reply:

    Could you please help me understand this reasoning:
    Is there a reason why a subitem in the menu would not show up if you add it to the user menu?
    For example: why would Rec/Out EI be available in Base Settings under the system menu, but not under Base Settings in the User Menu?
    Is this an oversight, a mistake that may be fixed in a firmware update, or is there another reason for this? I would like to know what other sub-items I may need to be aware are also not present in the User Menu. Is there a good reason for this? I feel it adds to confusion.

    Here is their reply:
    I really canít. These are just decisions the design team came up with.
    Trung
    Sony Support

    Take that as you will.


    Reply With Quote
     

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •