Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    4.3 update to record ISO in Cine EI --- BUT WHERE IN MENU!?!?!?!?!
    Over the past week I've WASTED countless hours trying to find this. This update came out over a year ago.... In EVERY webpage (except one, wait for it...) that even mentions this update, NONE actually say where to activate this capability. Even Alister Chapman's blog mention of this update doesn't actually say where to f*cking activate it!

What am I missing. I have two FS7's, one v4.31, one v4.32

Now I did finally find ONE website that mentions something. Here: https://www.visuals.co.uk/visualsblo...s7ii-firmware/

It says: "This new function is turned on and off in the menu under System – Base Settings – Rec/Out EI Applied when the camera is set to CineEI mode."

But guess what.... There is no "Rec/Out EI" under Base Settings in the menu...

WHAT IS GOING ON!!?!!??!

Times like this remind me why I hate Sony so much.

EDIT: So it appears I am the owner of not one but TWO cameras that are both past 4.3 and yet this option does NOT appear in my menu.... Very interesting.... (see pics below)
    Last edited by Marshallarts; 11-11-2019 at 08:41 AM.

2. Collapse Details
    go to System> Base Setting

3. Collapse Details
    It's there LL! If it isn't I would be checking your firmware

Chris Young

Rec-Out-EI-denoise.jpg
    Last edited by cyvideo; 11-10-2019 at 05:07 AM.

4. Collapse Details
    It's not there in either of my cameras. I'm firmware 4.31 and 4.32. What firmware are you?cam1.jpgcam1v431.jpgcam2.jpgcam2v432.jpg

5. Collapse Details
    That is an odd one?

I'm on 4.31. This REC/OUT option was introduced on v4.30 originally. 4.32 addressed the issue with the new 120 and 240 GB XQD cards not being recognized correctly in the in the FS7 Mk I. It was firmware 1.2 for the Mk II from memory. It not showing doesn't make sense to me. I really think this would need to be shown to a Sony service dept. Just a thought. Have you tried accessing this menu with a VF LUT applied, like the 709/800 one?

Chris Young

System EI menu upgrade.jpg

6. Collapse Details
    Have you tried an all reset after updating?

7. Collapse Details
    I dont even understand what its doing when set to on.. ???

8. Collapse Details
    I was the same at first. I finally worked out in my own mind exactly what was going on with Rec/Out when it was applied. I posted an explanation back in early 2018 after our experiments and I still work and stand by what I outlined in the post. That's post #90 at:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...hris+young+fs7

Once you get your head around it the light bulb goes on with an "Ah! I've got it now!" Eureka moment

Chris Young

9. Collapse Details
    Okay, So it appears my two cameras are both an anomaly. Yes, I just tried an ALL RESET and it did not solve my issue. And yes, I went ahead and tried with my Monitor LUT ON and OFF. Still not there. I think I will be reaching out to Sony to tell them.

cyvideo, I don't know where you found that "additional functions" instruction for that update. I've wasted hours trying to find anything, and specifically anything provided by Sony. Even their most recent manual available for download doesn't include this. Talk about frustrating!!!

Also cyvideo, in my efforts to find anything I've stumbled across many frustrated people regarding what they call a useless update. Because I find Sony so frustrating I was hoping you could confirm and/or critique some thoughts of mine:

Isn't this Rec/Out EI setting doing the exact same thing as burning in an SLog3 LUT using "SDI1 & Internal Rec"? (I just shot a test and yes, the recorded clip did show the ISO changes. I had the monitor LUT off so I didn't see the changes until after playback.) I'm confused why Sony needed to add this functionality as a different menu option?

As for its usefulness, wouldn't this be a good example (Unless I'm mistaken I think it's fairly obvious and simple):

I recently shot some two camera interviews. For one shot we used a different aperture (could be for any reason, intentional or not). At two different apertures in the same lighting situation, without this capability you would have two different exposures since the ISO is locked at 2000. This is undesirable from my standpoint because I don't trust post. I want them to be able to use the same LUT and would prefer to change ISO to compensate for aperture differences so long as my waveform is good and I'm getting the dynamic range I want.

10. Collapse Details
    Marshallarts, You should have another menu item for base setting in the system menu . For some reason the EI thing is in there but not when it shows up in in the user menu .
    The point of it i believe is similar to when you burn in the L:UT but you are not burning in, in this case its just changing the sensitivity on Log recording to make it easier for some people in post.
    Last edited by LennyLevy; 11-11-2019 at 09:31 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast