Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Big Firmware Updates Coming November 19, 2019
    Cool
    The G9 can finally shoot 4K 10-bit 4:2:2 internally !!! ( likely retains the 30 minute record limit )

2. Collapse Details
    And a fix for ghosting and blue clipping on the S1 in V-LOG.

3. Collapse Details
    Nice update for the G9 and S1....

For the GH5, not so much. Hard to get too excited when the main upgrade is being able to tell the auto focus not to focus on the fence you're trying to shoot through. Weird that the animal auto focus option is not available for the GH5 (obviously not a big deal, but still weird).

But hey, I guess it means Panny hasn't completely abandoned the MFT format. Yet.
    John Vincent
    Evil Genius Entertainment.com

4. Collapse Details
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by jdv View Post
    Nice update for the G9 and S1.... For the GH5, not so much.
    I take this as a hint that the GH6 is coming next year. You don't want to boost the GH5 when you plan on releasing it's replacement next year.

5. Collapse Details
    Or it's just that the GH5 is the oldest of these three models and thus probably has some limitations with processing power, threads, ram, etc.

6. Collapse Details
    The Oly EM1 MII just had a killer upgrade, breathing new life into the camera. It's a move that simultaneously makes long term users happy, while maybe making people looking at picking up a 2nd high end MFT camera take a peek at it. Just a solid business move all around.

Seems unlikely that it's technically impossible for the animal focus upgrade to work on the GH5 - I think Dingo is right about Panny trying to protect other cameras (although it's such a weak feature that I suppose it could be a technical issue).

Far as the GH6 goes, unless it's a major step forward - like better colors, better dynamic range, better in low light - it's hard to see a huge number of GH5 users moving over to it, regardless of the camera getting better firmware....

Especially when Panny is devoting so much time trying to get its users to buy their full frame line-up. You may simply see them abandon the GH series of cameras altogether, and simply work on the G line-up. It's cheaper to produce and would allow them to say "See, we didn't give up on the MFT format."

Not predicting that mind you, but I think it's a possibility.
    John Vincent

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jdv View Post
    You may simply see them abandon the GH series of cameras altogether, and simply work on the G line-up. It's cheaper to produce and would allow them to say "See, we didn't give up on the MFT format."

Not predicting that mind you, but I think it's a possibility.
    If they abandon the GH format for dreams of racking up millions from MFT customers "burning their lenses" and rushing into their new full-frame line I think they are up for a surprise......

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    Exactly.

Hey, I hope I'm wrong.
    John Vincent

9. Collapse Details
    yea! FREE LOG! And here I paid $100 for it and its worthless in 8bit on GH4. How about a nice free GH4 bios update adding 6k, RAW, 240fps, frame guides? Hey... I can day dream, can't I?

10. Collapse Details
    I do not get the abandon MFT concerns. If they let go of MFT, they are letting go of a huge portion of the imaging presence. FF cameras are big and for a certain segment of the camera market. Not everybody wants to spend for the body & lenses either. MFT is a great middle ground that happens to provide top notch video as well. They have a good thing going with folks here and the GH series. Keep improving and I am a buyer every time.

Unlike Canon, Panasonic has a chance of people actually buying more than one of their models to compliment each other. All with the same capabilities. The odds of me buying the S1H and a GH6 are quite good. A shining example of why fake market segmentation is not effective.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast