Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Denver needs a film market badly
    So most of you know that I am native to the Chicago area (and ridiculously proud of it) but moved to Denver summer of 2018. After doing my share of exploring around the city area as well as the front range, it really baffles me why people are not coming here in droves to film movies in this state. The locations are so damn diverse, you can dress parts of this state as really anywhere and for multi geographic locational shoots Colorado would be a godsend for a location manager. I understand a lot has to do with the government not passing Tax Intenstives like what we had back in Chicago, but my question is why? Colorado would get so much money put into their economy (not that they are hurting because of the pot legalization lol) and honestly, to a point, I see Colorado as a state much more viable of a place to set up shop for however many weeks and shoot a feature than Illinois. Sure Chicago is a great, IMO the best city in the country, but that's all Illinois has... Chicago. Unless you are shooting a farm epic there is really nothing visually appealing to the state of Illinois outside the tri state area. I see places like New Mexico taking off with companies like Netflix and I've been to NM enough times to say if I had a bucket of cash to throw at a project, that would be one of the last states id go to.

I guess people on here that might be more into the biz side of show biz, what things do you think it would take to convince Colorado to become a film friendly state? I think the last big thing here was Hateful Eight in Telluride a few years back, and Robert Redford did a few days of filming a Netflix picture at the brown palace hotel in downtown Denver... other then that, its really dead. If you even look back into film history, not a whole lot of stuff has filmed here, unless you really go back to the mid 20th century when everyone was into westerns...

The BIG reason I am planning to leave Colorado either the end of this year or next summer is because I can't realistically pursue my lifes work here and honestly, as time passes it really is a bummer because I see a lot of potential in this state for making movies and even seeing LA plant some feet here.
    Mike Krumlauf
    JSAV A/V Technician
    Denver Tech Center

GEAR
    Apple Mac Pro 8 Core 2008 W/ AJA Kona 3 Dual-Link 4:4:4 Capture Card
    Apple Macbook Pro 15-inch 2007
    Final Cut Studio 3

2. Collapse Details
    Pack your bags. It's not going to get one. “It will only bring more people to this already overcrowded state. Leave California in California,” Jason Price wrote.
    https://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...tv-productions
    https://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...ncentive-money

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
    Pack your bags.
    I honestly cant wait to leave here. unlike almost everybody here in their "stepford wife" trance of this place, i cant stand it. Its overrated, and the locals are grumpy as hell...
    Mike Krumlauf
    JSAV A/V Technician
    Denver Tech Center

GEAR
    Final Cut Studio 3

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    It doesn't really bring very much money in, the same thing was touted in my area. One company came in, bought a vacant school, and have shot several things. But they bring in almost all of the crew. So you get extras, food service, a little bit of taxes, and a little bit of permits. Nothing that really affects our local economy.

5. Collapse Details

6. Collapse Details
    Weather, Winter weather in particular, is a factor here. L.A., Atlanta, and New Orleans all have either no Winter or mild Winters.

That isn’t the only factor, but it is a factor. ATL and NOLA both can have brutally humid Summer weather, but cast and crew being uncomfortable because of hot, humid weather is one thing...a snowstorm that shuts down roads is another.
    Big sources matter.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Doesn’t it rain almost every day in Colorado?
    "You'd better cure all those personal problems that might be holding back something you want to say." -John Cassavetes

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Ott View Post
    Doesn’t it rain almost every day in Colorado?
    I think you are thinking of portland lol. Honestly though, Chicago gets more rain on a yearly basis than colorado. Colorado rarely gets rain... maybe a month worth total of days a year.. its very dry here.
    Mike Krumlauf
    JSAV A/V Technician
    Denver Tech Center

GEAR
    Final Cut Studio 3

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by JPNola View Post
    Weather, Winter weather in particular, is a factor here. L.A., Atlanta, and New Orleans all have either no Winter or mild Winters.

That isn’t the only factor, but it is a factor. ATL and NOLA both can have brutally humid Summer weather, but cast and crew being uncomfortable because of hot, humid weather is one thing...a snowstorm that shuts down roads is another.
    True, granted, Chicago has plenty of film biz and our winters are horrible haha
    Mike Krumlauf
    JSAV A/V Technician
    Denver Tech Center

GEAR
    Final Cut Studio 3

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Krumlauf View Post
    I think you are thinking of portland lol. Honestly though, Chicago gets more rain on a yearly basis than colorado. Colorado rarely gets rain... maybe a month worth total of days a year.. its very dry here.
    But 36 million people depend on the Colorado River, 85% originates from snowmelt in the Rocky Mountains; supplies water to half a million acres of California's Imperial Valley, one of the most productive agricultural regions in North America. California's share is 26.7%, more than any other state.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast