Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    corporate shoot - raw
    For anyone's reference here are a few stills from a corporate shoot using canon raw. With massive white walls everywhere, my goal was to not have nuclear blobs all over the place.

RNDP1.jpgRNDP2.jpgRNDP3.jpgRNDP4.jpgRNDP5.jpgRNDP6.jpgRNDP8.jpg
    Last edited by rob norton; 11-01-2019 at 01:12 AM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    A can of paint costs less than storing RAW footage and would have solved your white wall problem.

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Coughlin View Post
    A can of paint costs less than storing RAW footage and would have solved your white wall problem.
    Haha I'll pitch it next time. I'm "dealing" with raw - it's fine but I adopt a pretty ruthless footage deleting policy (when I handle post). I've never handed raw over to a producer/client though and I can only imagine the headaches of holding someone's hand as you take them from having no knowledge to being OK with the files. I'd like to step into the space where I'm shooting higher end material and handing it off, in which case a 10 bit option seems absolutely necessary.

4. Collapse Details
    What about transcoding all the raw to prores 422 or dnx? Retains quite a bit of quality and most of the DR?

5. Collapse Details
    Not sure why everyone still acts as if shooting CRL or giving it to clients is a big deal, it's really not. All of the big four handle it natively or with the Canon plug-in now, it's just a bit bigger than equivalent Prores.
    Just have your clients watch this video, it's clear that if you can load and edit off of an internal laptop, it's not going to be un-doable on the average editing station. If they have old and slow gear, use a proxy workflow. If they have anything even remotely modern, CRL is a breeze.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1P1hzAPbHM&t=10s
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    I just shot some CRL last week for the first time with my C200 (using the cheapo Silicon Power 256 GB CFast Card!).

So it seems that 10 minutes of footage is about 100 GB -- which I knew. But I thought I'd save space on the transcode to ProRes HQ -- I was wrong, the Prores HQ equivalent is almost twice the GB! I guess I'd never dealt with 4k 422 HQ before. Well that doesn't help anytihing, if I'm going to shoot CRL I should just keep it in that form, or be going to 1080.

7. Collapse Details
    I shoot 3.2K ProRes 4:4:4:4 (not HQ) with the Amira which comes at around 800 gb/s, while Canon RAW Lite is I believe about 1000 gb/s. So not that much different. That said, if I'm shooting, providing memory cards, and storing these higher data rates, particularly for long things like interviews, I feel it'd be a tougher sell for me at a C200 day rate compared to an Amira day rate.

Let's see, if you've got three hours of RAW lite footage in a day, so about 1.5 TB of data, a 5 TB Seagate drive costs $130, so you're spending about $45 on backup just for the shoot (assuming you backup most or all of your shoots like I do). Now if one is only making say $850 as their day rate then that $45 starts to mean something, while if one is making north of $2k for their day rate then the $45 isn't as much of a consideration.

I've read that HQ doesn't give you much benefits for ProRes unless you're keying.
    Last edited by Eric Coughlin; 11-01-2019 at 12:19 PM.

8. Collapse Details
    I must have used the Cinema RAW Development software incorrectly then? I don't get it.
    For instance, I have a CRL clip (4k, 60p) that is 52 seconds long, it is 6.55 GB.
    The same clip that I converted to Prores HQ (not even 444) is 11.95 GB
    What gives?

9. Collapse Details
    I was talking about ProRes non-HQ being slightly smaller than RAW lite. I would imagine HQ would have a higher data rate than RAW lite.

10. Collapse Details
    Prores 4:4:4 is what you said, right? That's less compressed than 422, maybe you meant Prores 422?

See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_...roRes-Overview

At 50p and 4k, the data rate is 1573 for HQ (and 2359 for 444).

Anyway, I can't tell that there are any advantages to converting to Prores over keeping the CRL files and editing them natively. Except the Prores probably takes less GPU and CPU power to playback on the timeline.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast