Thread: S1 vs S1H

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    S1 vs S1H
    Hello all,

I have a shoot coming up where I'll need great low light performance. I'm thinking of upgrading to the S1 or S1H. I see some reviews saying despite the S1 not having a dual ISO, the low light results are about the same as the S1H?

Besides that, are there any major differences to be aware of?

Can anyone comment on this, the S1H seems like the better video camera obviously but the price difference is significant.

Thanks!

2. Collapse Details
    My solution would be to spend a couple hundred bucks on renting the camera for your shoot rather than spending hard cash on a camera that may not be what you really need in the long run.
    David W. Jones

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by David W. Jones View Post
    My solution would be to spend a couple hundred bucks on renting the camera for your shoot rather than spending hard cash on a camera that may not be what you really need in the long run.
    That's a good suggestion, but I should have mentioned in the original post, this is a 2-4 week assignment abroad. Might still be worth renting though.

4. Collapse Details
    No manual exposure control on the S1 in HD 150 and 180 fps. (Not sure about 120.)

No 400mbps codec. No 150mbps codec in HD 24fps, I believe. Only 25fps in PAL or 4K 24fps - seems odd, but I think that's the case.

There's an issue reported shooting v-log with strong blue light like blue LEDs where it blows out the blue channel. Doesn't happen with the red or green channel and Doesn't happen in HLG. But it might be a problem with the S1H as well, I'm not sure.

I've had the S1 for a month and I'm so pleased with the low-light performance.

5. Collapse Details
    Being a modern sensor, I'd suggest both will perform quite well. Havent seen it noted anywhere however Varicam's dual ISO only increases noise by plus 1db when you switch to 5000, so curious if anyone has seen what the plus noise db is on the S1H when you go from 640 - 4000 base.

That aside for the moment the S1 would gain up every ISO step, however the S1H has a base of 4000. What that essentially means is (using the Varicam as the info I have), you'd be around plus 1db difference from 640 to 4000 on the S1H whereas the the S1 might be plus 2db. From what I've seen its not huge. Please note I don't have actuals in front of me and Im talking shooting Vlog.

There is another advantage however with dual ISO. Once you switch to Base 4000 and go down in ISO you are introducing negative gain. So conceivably you will be at 0db noise at ISO2500 down from base ISO4000, essentially the same as Base ISO 640 (again I don't have exact numbers nor can I find them).

The point of this post is, yes I noted you already factored ISO, however I wanted to point out that Dual ISO alone is a big factor.
    w: Noel Evans TV

e: noel@noelevans.tv
    p: +61 (0) 408 455 374

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    The Price difference is actually small if you consider the following and disregarding IQ:
    -The S1H is approved by Netflix sharing that info with a hesitant client is def. useful.
    -the S1H is a world camera while the S1 st least in the US only does 60Hrz flavors.
    -Time Code - this is a big one when working with sound recordist or in Multicam.
    -120 FPS with Sound in10bit.
    -Interlaced recordings- 50i and 60i 10 bit intraframe I have a couple of clients still holding onto interlaced...

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Assuming a 2-4 week assignment will be a serious undertaking and will have a decent budget(? ) - why risk it. The H has other advantages to those already mentioned - V-log is included and an OLPF.

8. Collapse Details
    You can add up the advantages stated above add RAW output down the road and ask yourself if they together are worth 1500 or 1700 USD- its really not even a question.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    I do weddings and indie films.
    The pros of the S1H made up my mind, but one of the big ones for me was unlimited 4K60p recording. I never know when I will have to do a speed ramp for weddings, and just grabbing everything in 60p takes care of those issues. This is one of the many reasons I opted for the S1H.
    Last edited by estarkey7; 10-31-2019 at 11:40 AM.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by estarkey7 View Post
    I do weddings and indie films.
    The pros of the S1H made up my mind, but one of the big ones for me was unlimited 4K60p recording. I never know when I will have to do a speed ramp for weddings, and just grabbing everything in 60p takes care of those issues. This is one of the many reasons I opted for the S1H.
    You deliver in 60p?

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast