Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    I only ever shot it in SLOG/Sgamut, and after the Alexa, it's probably the easiest camera I've used to get a grade that I was happy with.

It's nicely point-and-shoot in that way.

2. Collapse Details
    Can anyone explain the difference between F900 and F900R?

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by RayZan View Post
    Can anyone explain the difference between F900 and F900R?
    It was a newer version. Slightly smaller, lighter(a little more ENG like) and maybe a little less power hungry, but one of the biggest difference was the R had HD-SDI out, whereas the OG 900 had component outs or you had to use an adapter(like a Miranda or Everts) on the rear multi-pin or on the side components to get HDSDI.

4. Collapse Details
    For a period of time I used the F23 with sharpening set to a particular setting (like at its absolute minimum) but have had it on CINE mode ever since for simplicity.
    Of all the hyper gammas etc, I did notice that slog and sgamut had the best gradations and tonal detail.
    Which reminds me, I need to put some more material from it online.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    It was a newer version. Slightly smaller, lighter(a little more ENG like) and maybe a little less power hungry, but one of the biggest difference was the R had HD-SDI out, whereas the OG 900 had component outs or you had to use an adapter(like a Miranda or Everts) on the rear multi-pin or on the side components to get HDSDI.
    Run&Gun, I feel terrible as I wasn't specific in my question. I meant the F900 and F900R color spaces within the F35. I set the camera on F900 all the time now (and Slog). I find it yielding better results than Sgamut plus LUT in post. Also noticed that if you take Sgamut footage and simply increase saturation in post, it looks very very close to shooting with F900 CS to start with. Haven't tested F900R. I wonder what others experienced.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by RayZan View Post
    Run&Gun, I feel terrible as I wasn't specific in my question. I meant the F900 and F900R color spaces within the F35. I set the camera on F900 all the time now (and Slog). I find it yielding better results than Sgamut plus LUT in post. Also noticed that if you take Sgamut footage and simply increase saturation in post, it looks very very close to shooting with F900 CS to start with. Haven't tested F900R. I wonder what others experienced.
    Gotcha. Sorry about that. My mind just automatically went to that you were asking about the two actual cameras.

7. Collapse Details
    +1 for Cine/Slog/Sgamut. The appeal of the camera for me is that it's simply a 450ASA digital film stock. Pick it up and shoot, just make sure the sensor gets light.

There is too much funny business going on these days with digital camera colors. The F35 stands in contrast to that. For example I see a lot of this kind of thing out there, no thanks:

Screen Shot 2019-10-31 at 9.07.46 PM.jpg

Ok in fairness that's an Alexa 65 frame that's clearly been pushed around a bunch. Joker was also alexa65, and that looked natural. The F35 is naturalistic by it's nature.

Netflifx claims to be "future proofing" it's content by mandating 4k acquisition, but a lot of those colors are going to get very corny with age.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by MikalZ View Post
    but a lot of those colors are going to get very corny with age.
    Agreed 100%
    Mike Krumlauf
    JSAV A/V Technician
    Denver Tech Center

GEAR
    Chrosziel MB 450-01
    Apple Mac Pro 8 Core 2008 W/ AJA Kona 3 Dual-Link 4:4:4 Capture Card
    Apple Macbook Pro 15-inch 2007
    Final Cut Studio 3

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12