Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    I assume the real estate agents (not sure how the business is done down under) won't have any idea about what a codec is ... unless you sell it to them. So, it'll be your call but they might appreciate you with the latest - yet, reasonably priced - gear.

Side note - DP Review has a new A7RIV YouTube video, shot on Mongolian steppes. The exteriors were taken in a bright sun, so they can look a tad harsh occasionally, but most of their indoor images are just gorgeous. Both stills and video. And their birds-in-flight clips from an eagle flying competition were good enough for any action camera. And it's a $3,500 unit. And that means that 1DX MKIII has some serious competition already. CRL may be exactly what sets it apart from A7RIV.
    The difference will be push that Sony fragile, circa 2015 4:2:0 8-bit 100Mbps image at all in grading and it's going to pixelate quickly. In comparison, the CRL 1Gbps 12-bit 4:2:2 from my C200 is like Silly Putty, you can push or pull it a LONG way and it holds together beautifully. It's very much like shooting RAW for stills,
    you can screw up pretty badly on exposure and recover a lot more than you think you could. 1DX MKIII will be a beast of a DSLR with that option. Could be important for users who aren't really pro video shooters.

OTOH, it takes up a lot of card and drive space. And to edit it, you need a fairly healthy, modern spec computer.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

2. Collapse Details
    I love shooting RAW on my p4k, it's really a different world when compared with the 8-bit Sony codec I was using before that. But it does take a toll in terms of HDD space. I've had to upgrade my CPU, RAM and GPU, I've had to add a 1TB SSD drive, I've bought several storage HDDs... and even with that, I've also had to change from my old "everything gets archived for eternity" mentality to "I just save the final product on most projects, deleting all clips once the thing is on YouTube".

Also: my p4k, like most cameras, has a reasonably high resale value. The $700 I've spent on CFast cards are almost worthless the day I switch to a different camera using different cards. Taking this into account, I expect the p4k to be my most expensive camera ever, surpassing the a7S that cost me twice as much but which I sold a year later at a reasonable price.

3. Collapse Details
    I assume the real estate agents (not sure how the business is done down under) won't have any idea about what a codec is ... unless you sell it to them. So, it'll be your call but they might appreciate you with the latest - yet, reasonably priced - gear.
    Iím the in-house DP for Douglas Elliman, which is a pretty big RE company (4th largest in the US; a couple of the agents are on Million Dollar Listing). I donít shoot property vids (only corporate for them), but I do handle the hiring of the companies who do, and I can tell you no one I know of is shooting RAW for property videos. The company I always tap for the high-end listings is shooting with the GH5.

I do know they spent a lot of time and money developing their post workflow.

I can also tell you that RE agents donít care what you use; only price and quality. The smart ones are very discerning, and will spend to make their properties look the best.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    The difference will be push that Sony fragile, circa 2015 4:2:0 8-bit 100Mbps image at all in grading and it's going to pixelate quickly...
    It's quite possible that Sony's secret sauce there is the 8-bit in the 10-bit wrapper, which then smoothed out by the grading software. I haven't been able to find any A7RIV grading videos but, as I had said a few posts earlier, the DP Review interior footage of those Mongolian eagle masters is gorgeous.

Now, onto DX MK III. Not sure how many of you picked up on the latest rumors but CR posted one on the 8th from a "usually reliable source" that claimed that it will have a 20 MPX sensor while the previous claims had it at 24. Obviously, it could be Canon testing different bodies and/or different sensors out in the wild ... or, it might be that there is a DX MKIII and DC MKIII twins that might be released, with one oriented toward action/sports and the other toward video.

Quote Originally Posted by Fahnon View Post
    Iím the in-house DP for Douglas Elliman, which is a pretty big RE company (4th largest in the US; a couple of the agents are on Million Dollar Listing). I donít shoot property vids (only corporate for them), but I do handle the hiring of the companies who do, and I can tell you no one I know of is shooting RAW for property videos. The company I always tap for the high-end listings is shooting with the GH5...
    What did they use prior to GH-5? 4-3-2? Camcorders?

IMO, the Raw turn in real estate will come sooner or later because of the windows. One would often need that extra stop of two.

5. Collapse Details
    Samuel H, I too have really enjoyed using BRAW on the p4k. Probably the biggest bang for the buck I've ever received out of a camera! BMD really doing a great job in the industry.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Fahnon View Post
    ...The smart ones are very discerning, and will spend to make their properties look the best...
    All two of them.

For an industry where quality definitely sells, I have never encountered a higher percentage of nickel-and-dimers in my life. I'm friends with an agent who pays me to produce good stuff for his higher-end properties, but far more of them will balk at a modest charge for full terrestrial and aerial photos AND walkthrough video for a seven-figure property. The real estate industry is brutal.
    JERBCO, LLC
    jerbco.com

Web | Video | Aerial

7. Collapse Details
    It's quite possible that Sony's secret sauce there is the 8-bit in the 10-bit wrapper, which then smoothed out by the grading software. I haven't been able to find any A7RIV grading videos but, as I had said a few posts earlier, the DP Review interior footage of those Mongolian eagle masters is gorgeous.

Now, onto DX MK III. Not sure how many of you picked up on the latest rumors but CR posted one on the 8th from a "usually reliable source" that claimed that it will have a 20 MPX sensor while the previous claims had it at 24. Obviously, it could be Canon testing different bodies and/or different sensors out in the wild ... or, it might be that there is a DX MKIII and DC MKIII twins that might be released, with one oriented toward action/sports and the other toward video.

What did they use prior to GH-5? 4-3-2? Camcorders?

IMO, the Raw turn in real estate will come sooner or later because of the windows. One would often need that extra stop of two.
    I actually did try to convince one or two of them to go the raw route. As you said you really want to be able to see out of the windows. The problem is that post has to be fast for the vast majority of these shoots and the margins are thin most of the time. Most are not willing to deal with the post workflow and data costs. Iím my end I do, because Iím shooting corporate stuff and itís usually part of a larger project and the creative team there does want the best we can get, but if I were shooting high volume RE videos Iíd probably end up blowing out the windows and getting separate view shots. I hope with computers getting more powerful and Resolve getting easier each version that raw and 4K becomes the standard.

As for what they were using I believe it was GH4. The vast majority are using Sony A7R/S though, and some Canon because a lot of them shoot stills and video and donít keep separate bodies for each. The guys Iím taking about that use Panasonic are primarily video.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jbregar View Post
    All two of them.

For an industry where quality definitely sells, I have never encountered a higher percentage of nickel-and-dimers in my life. I'm friends with an agent who pays me to produce good stuff for his higher-end properties, but far more of them will balk at a modest charge for full terrestrial and aerial photos AND walkthrough video for a seven-figure property. The real estate industry is brutal.
    Yeah I’m thinking of the ones that have expensive listings and the marketing budgets to match. Those are the ones that will pay a few thousand per video when the majority think a few hundred is too much. I’m not surprised you’re running into what you’re running into.

The top agents are millionaires, but the vast majority don’t make nearly that much and are also deal makers by trade and that combination leads to the situation you’re describing I think.

9. Collapse Details
    I was IM'ing with a California based friend last night. We began to talk about properties, condos vs SFR, etc. Finally, just to prove a point, I had to show him some Zillow listings in South Florida. And, naturally, most of the listings have photos only. And it's not that difficult to shoot HDR in stills. So, there's your water view through the window or off a shaded balcony.

For some of those bathrooms and kitchenettes, though, one might have needed a fisheye.

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456