Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Intellytech 3'x4.5' Mega LiteCloth
    https://www.intellytechusa.com/colle...le-led-mat-kit

Received an email from them about this last week and decided to pre-order one, since they are offering a pre-order discount on the first 30. Looks like they still have a few available for the 15% off discount.

Mega_VS_2xLC-160_2048x.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    The cloth looks great. The frame/softbox/grid looks just OK. The grid looks like there'd still be lots of spill from the sides? Pretty solid, versatile, cheap standalone key light.

At the moment I'm using 4x LC-160s through a 6x6. I really like the light but the set up is a complete mess - not Intellytech's fault, there are just lots of cables because I'm using 4 for one set up.

Two of these would be tempting, though I'd rather wait for a single, close to 6x6 cloth that would clean everything up by only having one power supply to deal with. But maybe that'd be too heavy if it was tied in the same way rags are, at which point two of these could be the way to go.

I really like the holes on the side, which hugely increase mounting flexibility. Now it's time to give us some larger squares!

3. Collapse Details
    I'd really prefer an RGB version for versatility sake so I could use it more diversely for narrative filmmaking as well, and it's only a matter of time before Intellytech comes out with that since they already offer it for the LC-160, at a higher price, of course. The future is RGB lights, so aside from those whose filming style and market doesn't need RGB, any non-RGB purchases will eventually result in wanting to replace those lights with RGB lights, which makes bi-color lights harder to justify as a purchase if one can wait. But yeah, this looks like a good option for booming for interviews and other uses.

4. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Coughlin View Post
    I'd really prefer an RGB version for versatility sake so I could use it more diversely for narrative filmmaking as well, and it's only a matter of time before Intellytech comes out with that since they already offer it for the LC-160, at a higher price, of course. The future is RGB lights, so aside from those whose filming style and market doesn't need RGB, any non-RGB purchases will eventually result in wanting to replace those lights with RGB lights, which makes bi-color lights harder to justify as a purchase if one can wait. But yeah, this looks like a good option for booming for interviews and other uses.
    Replicating existing light sources from incandescent to daylight falls within the realm of bicolor lights, so I think there will long be a use for those alongside RGB units. There's a tradeoff to power, cost and output for units of similar size that add RGB to the mix (especially when they are RGBW in its various flavors, i.e units that can output a white light that is spectrally comparable to bicolor units). Obviously it depends on what a given project calls for but given the curent rate of advancement in lighting tech, I think we are several generations away at best from bicolor being entirely knocked out of play in favor of RGB.
    Last edited by CharlesPapert; 10-18-2019 at 03:45 AM.
    Charles Papert
    charlespapert.com

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Looks like there's a site-wide sale going on right now. The lite cannons look interesting. Anyone own/use these?
    Bill Totolo
    L.A.

www.billtotolo.com

6. Collapse Details
    I've got the 160, friend bought the big one to punch thru a scrim. They seem to do the job quite well. My only quibble is that the screw fitting that holds the yoke to a light stand is insanely small for such a big light.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    I get wanting to buy gear that's as versatile as can be and trying to buy gear that will have the longest shelf-life possible. A lot of the LED's that I've bought lately(Gemini 2x1's, Gemini 1x1's, Astera LightDrops, Hive 100 & 200 C's) are all RBGWW, RGBW or other variations on RGB, but I'm just using "white light" on my keys. Not saying that the need for a colored/gelled key or hair/edge won't ever be needed by me, but this only being bi-color doesn't really worry me. But, YMMV.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by captslomo View Post
    I've got the 160, friend bought the big one to punch thru a scrim. They seem to do the job quite well. My only quibble is that the screw fitting that holds the yoke to a light stand is insanely small for such a big light.
    I picked up two of the 160 kits last year on the group buy and they are good looking lights(quality of light) that are easy to fly, because of the separate controller/PSU's, but partly because of that, they are a pain to put all together and is probably the biggest reason that I don't use them more often. They're just kind of messy, inelegant lights when in use.

I do like that they've combined the PSU/Controller for the Mega, though.

9. Collapse Details
    I figured a way to tie my LC-160 controller and PSU together and that helps a lot . Sometimes run 2 next to each other. The big one is tempting but I'm not sure how often I would use it. Re RGB, I just carry a 1/8 & 1/4 Green and 1/8 Magenta gel with the units and that solves all problems without losing all the output that an RGB fixture will have, let alone the expense.

10. Collapse Details
    My 160's came with plates with rubberized velcro straps so that you can attach the PSU's to the battery bracket on the controllers, but the whole thing is still messy. The quality of light is an A, but the set-up is a B-, at best. But given the price when I bought them and the compact size they pack up to, which allows them to always ride in the back, makes it more tolerable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast