1. Collapse Details
    Anyone Using Sony 240GB G Series XQD Memory Cards?
    I have a theatrical performance with a running time of two-hours to shoot and am
    considering Sony 240GB G XQD Cards... Is anyone using these on their FS7 and
    do they work OK? Can Anyone suggest the recording time per card while shooting 4K?

2. Collapse Details
    I'm using older 128GB Cards and just formatted one and the viewfinder display says 62 Minutes in UltraHD 4K.
    So I'm guessing that 240 must be just under two-hours per card...?

3. Collapse Details
    I think that’s a safe assumption to make. My Lexar 128GB cards shoot 65min at 4k 23.976.
    Cameras: 2x - Sony FS7, 2x - Sony A6500, Canon 5D IV, DJI Mavic Pro, Canon 5D II, Canon 60D, Canon G16, Canon Rebel XT, GoPro Hero 7, Gopro Hero 6 (RIP), 6x - GoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition, Canon XL2, iPhone 4, iPhone 6, Ricoh KR-10, Fed-2, Fujica Half Frame, Canon ZR-100, Sony DCR-TRV 310.

4. Collapse Details
    Just did a shoot with them 4K 30p 88 mins in the EVF anyway .. XAVC I

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynthia Webster View Post
    I have a theatrical performance with a running time of two-hours to shoot and am
    considering Sony 240GB G XQD Cards... Is anyone using these on their FS7 and
    do they work OK? Can Anyone suggest the recording time per card while shooting 4K?
    If you are using these just be sure your camera has the latest firmware update or you will get unknown media warning.

Chris Young

XQD cards compatability on G120 & G240.jpg

6. Collapse Details
    I read somewhere that the new 120GB and 240GB cards have a "safety cache" for want of a better term, to protect media recording errors due to bad sectors. I wish I could find the post.
    Peter Corbett
    php.com.au

7. Collapse Details
    That would explain where the 8K went after 128GB cards became 120GB.

8. Collapse Details
    The article said that were problems sometimes with 128Gb and 256GB cards that filled to capacity with video files. I'll try and find the original post.
    Peter Corbett
    php.com.au

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    Hi PC. Trust all is well in beautiful down country Portland.

I have come across two different explanations for the difference in size 120 vs 128 etc. One states they are actually 128GB but limit usable space to 120GB. The other 8GB is used for 'garbage collection.' The card firmware using this space to keeping the rest of the memory in check. The other possible reason being that was put forward was that different manufactures are now using different fabrication processes for their NAND chips. Right now Micron are providing 120/240 and Samsung with 120/250 whilst others are still supplying 128/256 sizes. Either way I don't think it will make a major difference. In fact I have a couple of the original Sony 128GB XQDs that when formatted in the camera display slightly different run times to all the others? They still work fine though.

Chris Young

10. Collapse Details
    Yes, all good and busy here Chris. I'm thinking of getting the new lower capacity cards just in case. Superstitious!!
    Peter Corbett
    php.com.au