Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    swintronix - powerbase 70 - not working - core can't fix - any suggestions? merci
    Yeah - at airport security opens my bag out spills the battery - no cracks - but later found out not working. Sent to core - they said "time to retire it."
    I bought it new. Used the damn thing about 4 weeks in it's entirety. wondering anyplace that might fix it? I appreciate any feedback.

2. Collapse Details
    Here's what I was told by IDX when I inquired about rebuilding old batteries:

They can not rebuild them because each battery is factory sealed and needs to remain that way or they lose flight certification. The same would go for repair, and since there may be an internal fuse that can pop, kind of a bad idea. You can probably cut the case open, but it will never be certified to fly again. Would be nice if they gave you a trade in toward a new battery.

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks Greg - yeah they ain't giving me no trade in - I guess onwards. It was just a gentle fall - not a scratch on it - figured it can't be too banged up inside.

4. Collapse Details
    I've dropped our idx v mounts numerous time on hard floors, they have some marks on them and keep working. We are using the smaller Cue75 model.

5. Collapse Details
    Greg E - yer probably not blessed with Irish luck as I am. The damn battery didn't take such a hit on the floor. I'm just annoyed that I paid almost 400 bucks at the time and used it for less then a week and Core says time to retire. Anyway...

6. Collapse Details
    They are located on Long Island. If you're ever out here (I think you're in Queens?), maybe stop by their office for a heart-to-heart.

Or just replace it with one from eBay for $100-ish...older PB 70s work just as well:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...0_Battery.html

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin baggott View Post
    Greg E - yer probably not blessed with Irish luck as I am. The damn battery didn't take such a hit on the floor. I'm just annoyed that I paid almost 400 bucks at the time and used it for less then a week and Core says time to retire. Anyway...
    I think that's kind of not cool on their part. I've actually had a not too great experience with them, too. A few years ago I had my BMCC 2.5K mounted on one of their units and the mounting plate wasn't properly secured, so my camera fell and I lost a lens. IMO their mounting system on their battery unit isn't the greatest. Anyway, I called them just to let them know my thoughts and the guy who I spoke to was pretty defensive and not very receptive to what I was saying.

I could see if your battery fell from the top of Mt. Everest or something, but a few feet shouldn't kill a supposedly heavy duty battery.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by scorsesefan View Post
    I think that's kind of not cool on their part. I've actually had a not too great experience with them, too. A few years ago I had my BMCC 2.5K mounted on one of their units and the mounting plate wasn't properly secured, so my camera fell and I lost a lens. IMO their mounting system on their battery unit isn't the greatest. Anyway, I called them just to let them know my thoughts and the guy who I spoke to was pretty defensive and not very receptive to what I was saying.

I could see if your battery fell from the top of Mt. Everest or something, but a few feet shouldn't kill a supposedly heavy duty battery.
    I'd side with them about the mounting plate (but not with not fixing the battery...they should fix it).

The camera/battery plate is actually pretty amazing but if you don't click it in it's like putting a lens in a PL mount and not locking it.

9. Collapse Details
    If you don't need the 1/4-20 mounts, I'd suggest this battery from IDX https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...nt_li_ion.html But I can see why some might want this series of mounting options including the QR plate to attach to the bottom of a camera or tripod.

When I drop them, it is normally coming off the storage shelf or charger shelf, that is a little over 4 feet. Industrial concrete with some form of tile covering (really very hard).

10. Collapse Details
    Those IDXs have been a budget industry-standard forever, but there are better values out there if you just need a V-mount. The main point (as you mentioned) of the PowerBases is to have the camera sit on top of the battery for a clean set-up. As a regular V-mount, it's overpriced.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast