Thread: Site down

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    But Red owns DVXuser, so as long as we say nice things about Red the site will continue to exist.

I personally think the Alexa LF is a joke considering it can’t do 8K with 16+ stops of dynamic range like a Red can and Arri must be paying Roger Deakins a fortune to make him compromise on his movies by not using Red cameras.

2. Collapse Details
    Yeah I was getting some issues with the site loading via firefox on my mac pro the past few days.

3. Collapse Details
    There is some irony in all the posts saying the site is down.......
    However I have also seen the site down intermittently in the week just gone.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by alaskacameradude View Post
    I've been getting this error too. I think the problem is, DVX has been sued
    by RED because of their 'copyright infringing use' of 'RAW data.' Thus they
    can no longer 'encode RAW data'. However, Atomos came to the rescue with
    an external recorder which allows them to 'encode the RAW data externally' and
    hence, the site is back.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Coughlin View Post
    But Red owns DVXuser, so as long as we say nice things about Red the site will continue to exist.
    Just for the record, RED doesn't own DVXUser. Jarred Land and I do. Jarred is the President of RED, but that happened many, many years after DVXUser was set up.

He doesn't censor anything said here about RED, although ragging on RED on a site that Jarred personally funds, has always struck me as a douchebaggy thing to do.

6. Collapse Details
    A lot of people may not know that either that Jarrad runs DVXuser nor his position at RED prior to the recent threads on RED. (I am not a RED user) Come to that I could not name the CEO of most companies in this industry. How many can?

I did wonder in the recent threads on RED why the CEO of Red started DVXuser. As you ppoint out RED came along much later after DVX was running.

That he does not censor comments about RED is good, but would you expect anything else?
    OTOH would you expect that on a video forum there to be no discussion of the current RED situation? That too would be strange.
    Especially as many may not be aware that Jarad funds DVXuser.

BTW as I am looking at using Resolve and maybe getting an URSA I looked at http://bmcuser.com it looks near identical to DVX user.
    Who owns that one? (just curious)

7. Collapse Details
    Both sites are owned by the same company and are hosted on the same web hosting site in Canada. There is nothing of note on the web hosts' outage reports. Routine maintenance and some brief interruptions during upgrades which are usually done in the wee hours of the morning.

8. Collapse Details
    The host itself is not down, what is happening is some kind of compression encoding error that Safari and Firefox don't seem to be able to handle. I haven't seen it appear on Chrome so Chrome must be more tolerant.

From reading up on the error (NSURLErrorDomain: -1015 "cannot decode raw data" in Safari) it appears to be a problem with GZip compression. It is very intermittent.

Since the server continues to respond, the outage reporting usual suspects won't generally see it. The problem isn't that the browser isn't getting a response, it's that the response is something they don't know how to decode.
    JERBCO, LLC
    jerbco.com

Web | Video | Aerial

9. Collapse Details
    Last week I had a lot of problems with Chrome on Windows and Android, so not limited to Safari or FF.

10. Collapse Details
    The weird thing is I've seen a spike in the number of "cannot decode" errors in the last week or two, and nothing software-wise has changed on my end. Perhaps there was a change in vBulletin or some other software used to run dvxuser? Or perhaps it's an issue with a change (or load) at the host?

Got me and I trust that the admins & owners of dvxuser will suss it out. If they want or need to move to a different host or pump up their expenditures, and they start a fundraising campaign (or point me to one that I've missed), I'll chip in...
    ----------
    Jim Feeley
    POV Media

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast